Hyundai Kona Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV Ultimate
7 Posts
HD has them for sure, very common, same as your range stove. Just ask someone in the store. And yes, you need a 14-50R as that is what is needed for the 14-50P plugs used by the L2 EVSEs.

If you know nothing about electricity, then for sure, get an electrician to install it for you. They can likely source it for you, too.
I bought a new house and requested the builders' electrician to install the EV charger but he said he has ever install one. Hence, he simply installed a 40amp breaker with a 3 pin standard outlet plug and gone.:(

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I bought a new house and requested the builders' electrician to install the EV charger but he said he has ever install one. Hence, he simply installed a 40amp breaker with a 3 pin standard outlet plug and gone.:(
Can you check the number on your receptacle? It might be a 6-50 which can handle up to 50 amps same as a 14-50. If he installed a 40A breaker, then the next question, too, is what gauge wire did he use to the receptacle, and is it just 3 wire or 4 wire. You may still need to get another electrician in to do it right.

Here is a good site for this info. Can make your own adapter if you are up to it.

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV Ultimate
7 Posts
Can you check the number on your receptacle? It might be a 6-50 which can handle up to 50 amps same as a 14-50. If he installed a 40A breaker, then the next question, too, is what gauge wire did he use to the receptacle, and is it just 3 wire or 4 wire. You may still need to get another electrician in to do it right.

Here is a good site for this info. Can make your own adapter if you are up to it.
Thanks again R P of your sharing. Perhaps it would be the best to hire another electrician, I don't want to burn down my house. Then my next challenge is to find a reliable electrician, I am new in town:unsure:. Your info is great help to me. Million thanks

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV Ultimate
7 Posts
Learned from carcharging.us and seems to me that the electrician installed a 15amp, not what he said 40amp for my car charging plug, I have attached a photo. Is that right? It is really difficult to settle down in a new place where you know no one for help. There are so many challenges:cry:.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yep, just a regular household 15A socket. Looks like all he did was install an extra socket in your garage. You need to get a proper 14-50 receptacle installed with a 40A breaker. I would also ask them to use #6 gauge AWG wire so you are future proofed to 50A, and then just need to replace the breaker (simple job).

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV Ultimate
7 Posts
Yep, just a regular household 15A socket. Looks like all he did was install an extra socket in your garage. You need to get a proper 14-50 receptacle installed with a 40A breaker. I would also ask them to use #6 gauge AWG wire so you are future proofed to 50A, and then just need to replace the breaker (simple job).
Thanks for your advice, R P.

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV preferred trim, trailer hitch with wiring
24 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV Ultimate
7 Posts
You should note that if you live in BC (as it appears we do) you can get a 50% rebate up to $350 from BCHydro for your charger and install. But, you must buy one of their approved chargers. I first bought the amazon branded charger and was denied the rebate. I returned it and bought this one: Canada – GRIZZL-E

Here is the list of approved chargers from BCHydro: https://www.bchydro.com/content/dam/BCHydro/customer-portal/documents/power-smart/electric-vehicles/eligible-EV-charger-list.pdf
Thanks for your info sharing Otty. As far as I understood, this rebate only applicable for charging station, not portable charger, right? Since I also want a charger for traveling use.

Cheers

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV preferred trim, trailer hitch with wiring
24 Posts
True, but if you say you will use it at home (and you might, right?) then you can apply for a rebate if you buy an eligible charger

21 - 29 of 29 Posts