1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the ChargePoint Home, and have been very happy with it so far. I was down to that or the JuiceBox, and chose the ChargePoint because it looks nicer, and is on the outside of my house.

Be aware that you have to sign up with ChargePoint and give them a credit card, even if you never use any of their other chargers. They treat your home charger like part of their network, so it show up I. The app like their public chargers. Only you can see it, though.

Keep in mind that the Kona is limited to 32 A at 240 V, so getting a L2 EVSE that exceeds 32 A is of no benefit.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up ordering this one.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07DHFH8LW/ref=pe_3034960_233709270_TE_item
Much cheaper than the ChargePoint and it is a portable. Only thing missing is the wifi to the charger, but if I have wifi and phone connection through Blue Link, it shouldn't matter. I understand that ChargePoint profits from the wifi by selling your data, so not sure I like that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
@RP let me know how it works once you get setup.
Im pondering one of these but still kinda leary with its quality.
I like the idea of gettung a portable one till i get the 14-50 outlet installed. In the meantime, a buddy of mine manages a trailer park, so im gonna bring him coffee, chat and scam free juice. Lol

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@RP let me know how it works once you get setup.
Im pondering one of these but still kinda leary with its quality.
I like the idea of gettung a portable one till i get the 14-50 outlet installed. In the meantime, a buddy of mine manages a trailer park, so im gonna bring him coffee, chat and scam free juice. Lol
I installed my 14-50 outlet with heavy #6 wire, in case I ever want to upgrade the 40 amp breaker to 50 or 60. Got everything at Home Depot and total cost was less than $50. I plugged in the new charger and it turns on OK (LEDs, etc). But will have to wait until after May 1 when I get my car to try it out. Quality looks really good. It will be used inside my garage, but is waterproof and rated for outside use.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I will be taking delivery of my new Kona EV on May 1, and looking into getting a level 2 charger. From my research so far, this ChargePoint seems to be a popular choice.
https://www.amazon.com/ChargePoint-Enabled-Electric-Vehicle-Charger/dp/B07228K6PX?th=1
I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada and assume there may be different requirements or opportunities (for best deal) by region.

What are your thoughts and recommendations?
I bought this exact one. It works well for me no issues. but its only 32 amps compared to Juice box I believe has 40 amps. not sure if it will make a difference but 32 amps Chargepoint gets me about 25-30 miles per hour of charging. I chose this because it is incorporated in the chargepoint charging system here in Cali so i can keep track of my charging history, in addition the the scheduled charging and wifi capability that you can have. I just dont like the Pulsating/Glowing green light it emmits when its not charging, I wish theres a way to just turn that light off.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried out my new Morec charger and seems to work fine. Display shows charging output rate at 30.8 Amps (32 A charger). I like the plug-in portability of this one. And of course the low cost.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07DHFH8LW?tag=vs-auto-convert-amazon-cdn-20
I only used it for 10 min though, to test it, as there is no need to charge at home with all the free charging all over around here. I have been mostly using one just a few blocks from our house, and really don't see me using my garage one very often.
I really like BlueLink, too, and allows me to monitor and adjust charging remotely as required.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I will be taking delivery of my new Kona EV on May 1, and looking into getting a level 2 charger. From my research so far, this ChargePoint seems to be a popular choice.
https://www.amazon.com/ChargePoint-Enabled-Electric-Vehicle-Charger/dp/B07228K6PX?th=1
I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada and assume there may be different requirements or opportunities (for best deal) by region.

I bought this exact one. It works well for me no issues. but its only 32 amps compared to Juice box I believe has 40 amps. not sure if it will make a difference but 32 amps Chargepoint gets me about 25-30 miles per hour of charging. I chose this because it is incorporated in the chargepoint charging system here in Cali so i can keep track of my charging history, in addition the the scheduled charging and wifi capability that you can have. I just dont like the Pulsating/Glowing green light it emmits when its not charging, I wish theres a way to just turn that light off.
Kona can only take max 32amps...so anything higher is a waist.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I tried out my new Morec charger and seems to work fine. Display shows charging output rate at 30.8 Amps (32 A charger). I like the plug-in portability of this one. And of course the low cost.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07DHFH8LW?tag=vs-auto-convert-amazon-cdn-20
I only used it for 10 min though, to test it, as there is no need to charge at home with all the free charging all over around here. I have been mostly using one just a few blocks from our house, and really don't see me using my garage one very often.
I really like BlueLink, too, and allows me to monitor and adjust charging remotely as required.
I still have to get an electrician and see what my options are. Im fearing i gotta goto 200 amp service.
The bluelink is cool.
I went into the bank yesterday and my watch showed app saying door was unlocked. SO was in there, so i locked it and kinda freaked SO out. Hehehe

·
Registered
MY20 Hyundai Kona Highlander
195 Posts

Hard to comment from Aus, but I bought a Zappi (7.2 kW) charger when I thought I was going to buy an Ioniq EV. I’m now buying a Kona but figure the Zappi should work as well on it. My main issue was the Zappi reduces costs by maximising charging from my 10 kW solar array. On the down side Zappi is a relatively new product from UK & only comes with 2 year warranty in Aus. But as there are virtually no concessions in Australia for purchasing EVs or chargers, it’s important to try & reduce my costs where I can.

And while I’m waiting for the Kona to arrive, I’m getting almost free solar power to charge my Outlander PHEV, although it’s max charge rate is 3.6kW.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, so far have not had to charge at home (except for 10 min to test out the charger). We have so many free charging stations (incl DC fast chargers) all over the place where I live, that it will be a rare event indeed that I will have to pay for charging incl in my own home.

·
Registered
31 Posts
@RP
Just got my charger today.
Last week had an electrician out and he said, he didnt see problems installing it and said he spoke with an ESA inspector and said it shouldnt be a problem.

Until i power it on.
Is the charge amount adjustable. ? On the box it mentions it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@RP
Just got my charger today.
Last week had an electrician out and he said, he didnt see problems installing it and said he spoke with an ESA inspector and said it shouldnt be a problem.

Until i power it on.
Is the charge amount adjustable. ? On the box it mentions it.
The charge amount is set by your car to the maximum that your charger can produce (32A). When I tested mine, I saw 30.8A on the charger LED. The percentage and timing is also controlled by car settings which you can monitor and manage remotely with your BlueLink. Works really well.

And I am talking about the Morec L2 charger.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just a heads up to US based owners who are putting in a level 2 charger: NEC ( the Us electric code) changed in 2020. My inspector of wires in MA reads the new language as"If a 240 volt outlet in a garage permits plugging in anything else besides an EV charger, it must be on a GFCI circuit breaker". This is bad news for users who bought or planning to buy a plug-in level 2 charger, such as the typical Juicebox sold in the US. Some manufacturers do not permit hard-wiring a plug equipped charger. (Juicebox told me doing so would void the warranty). Luckily Chargepoint allows taking off the supply plug, and hardwiring the unit. So I returned the Juicebox and got a Chargepoint. A Gfci breaker is bad news for an EV charger, because the charger has a GFCI built in already, and it is typically a class C gfci. This periodically tests that the ground line is present and working. The test will leak some current to the ground, and this is enough to trip the GFCI breaker. In your particular town this may not be an issue, but it is worth a chat with the inspector.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am a fan of the Chargepoint Home Flex.
I installed it myself (hard wired, to avoid having it on a GFCI circuit breaker).
Well designed and made elegant piece of engineering.For example, the snap-down wire terminal connectors, the massive hat sink
on the back plate, the easy to detach-attach charging and feed whip. Took me a couple of afternoons to put in, most of the work was
figuring out the cable layout and running the conduit. I love the flexibility that they allow you to take off the feed line and the plug in
case you want to do a hard-wire install. Slick, bluetooth based setup.
Compared to the ecoBee which is what I tried first, ecoBee people would not allow me to take off their feed cable whip.
They said it would void my warranty. So I ended up returning their product, and bought the Chargepoint instead.

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV Ultimate
7 Posts
The charge amount is set by your car to the maximum that your charger can produce (32A). When I tested mine, I saw 30.8A on the charger LED. The percentage and timing is also controlled by car settings which you can monitor and manage remotely with your BlueLink. Works really well.

And I am talking about the Morec L2 charger.
I am from Vancouver Island and am interested in the same Morec EV Charger. However, I do not know what do I needed in order to use this charger for both home and during travel. I have a 40amp breaker installed at garage for power outlet which is dedicated to the EV use. As you know, the power plug has three pins only, however, I have seen the product photos for the plug has four pins (NEMA 15-40). My Q1: do I have to install something addition in order to plug this charger in to power outlet? For my Q2: unsure whether you have take it with you for trip yet. It is relating to Q1, unless there is an adapter for this NEMA 15-40, how do I use in public power outlet, says in a public parking lot or hotel parking? Your experience sharing and advice is well appreciated.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am from Vancouver Island and am interested in the same Morec EV Charger. However, I do not know what do I needed in order to use this charger for both home and during travel. I have a 40amp breaker installed at garage for power outlet which is dedicated to the EV use. As you know, the power plug has three pins only, however, I have seen the product photos for the plug has four pins (NEMA 15-40). My Q1: do I have to install something addition in order to plug this charger in to power outlet? For my Q2: unsure whether you have take it with you for trip yet. It is relating to Q1, unless there is an adapter for this NEMA 15-40, how do I use in public power outlet, says in a public parking lot or hotel parking? Your experience sharing and advice is well appreciated.
It is actually a 14-50 plug, so you will need 14-50R receptacle. This is pretty well the standard for all L2 EVSEs. My Morec works fine (not really much that can go wrong with these). Think of it more as a smart extension cord. It is not a charger. That is in your car. But since I bought mine, there are now better/cheaper options that are available. Here is one I like.

Or for a few bucks more this one with a lot more options and adapters for any situation.

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV Ultimate
7 Posts
It is actually a 14-50 plug, so you will need 14-50R receptacle. This is pretty well the standard for all L2 EVSEs. My Morec works fine (not really much that can go wrong with these). Think of it more as a smart extension cord. It is not a charger. That is in your car. But since I bought mine, there are now better/cheaper options that are available. Here is one I like.

Or for a few bucks more this one with a lot more options and adapters for any situation.
Thanks so much to your prompt reply R P. I searched in Home Depot website for 14-50R receptacle but no result back. Where can I buy one? With your second recommendation, I do not needed a 14-50R receptacle, right? Sorry, I know nothing about electricity matter.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks so much to your prompt reply R P. I searched in Home Depot website for 14-50R receptacle but no result back. Where can I buy one? With your second recommendation, I do not needed a 14-50R receptacle, right? Sorry, I know nothing about electricity matter.
HD has them for sure, very common, same as your range stove. Just ask someone in the store. And yes, you need a 14-50R as that is what is needed for the 14-50P plugs used by the L2 EVSEs.

If you know nothing about electricity, then for sure, get an electrician to install it for you. They can likely source it for you, too.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts