Hyundai Kona Forum banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 2020 Limited with the 1.6L GDI Turbo with just shy of 2500mi. I only do about 600-700 miles per month mostly short trips so this kind of seems directed at my driving habits. I checked my oil today and everything seems normal but I'll be keeping an eye on for sure going forward. I'm glad I found this forum for bringing things like this up and thanks to everyone for their inputs!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
January 29 my high pressure fuel pump was replaced for the 2nd time. For the weeks that followed the mechanics checked it weekly and it looked good until today - the fluids over the dip stick line was big!! They kept my vehicle and gave me a rental. Extremely frustrating!!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Again, fuel dilution is a non issue if you change your oil every 3,000 to 3,500 miles. I have tested with two different oil labs and one being one of the better ones in the country, Polaris Labs. About six tests in 15,000 miles. It is just the nature of the beast, a small GDI turbo.

I am a worst case scenario user that has everything going against me, cold Minnesota winters, short tripping 10 miles to work and back. Plus, a very very heavy foot with being on boost more then most. I have zero abnormal wear. I gain 1/2 qt of fuel in my first 200 miles of new oil change, after that I gain another 1/4 qt. I change my oil at 3,000 miles in the winter and 3,500 in the summer. Really, don’t get all worried about this, it is a non issue, as many who actually test their oil by sending out to a oil analysis company, you soon find out you are worrying about a whole lot of nothing.

·
Super Moderator
385 Posts
January 29 my high pressure fuel pump was replaced for the 2nd time. For the weeks that followed the mechanics checked it weekly and it looked good until today - the fluids over the dip stick line was big!! They kept my vehicle and gave me a rental. Extremely frustrating!!
At least they are still working with you on the issue. They told me they could not detect any gas after I told them the fuel pump replacement did not work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
At least they are still working with you on the issue. They told me they could not detect any gas after I told them the fuel pump replacement did not work.
Bebop - are you in the cold states? I'm curious when yours happened?

·
Registered
14 Posts
@Mainia1 - after reading through the thread, it would seem my oil sample of 3.5% fuel is actually a bit better than most when it comes to Hyundai tGDIs.

I posted it over at BITOG, but I also have it attached here. Wanted to hear your thoughts since this was the only callout from Blackstone.

Attachments

·
Registered
905 Posts
Since you are in Texas, I would run 5w-40 or a thick 5w-30 year round. That means any 5w-30 Dexos1 Gen2 oil would be too thin. I myself would only run an oil with a HTHS (Hi-Temp Hi-Shear Viscosity @ 150 C) of a 3.5 or higher, as a bare minimum especially with your summer heat. I also look for a 11.8 or higher at 100C viscosity. I have to worry about -20 below here in Minnesota, so I have compromises, even though I can run a summer oil and winter oil if I want. I do like to try to run the same oil brands as to keep the additive packages close to the same, since you can run into problems when switching all around with different oils brands.

The Subaru WRX crowd has had good luck with Rotella T6 Multi Vehicle in stage 1 and stage 2 builds. So we know it performs well in high hp turbos. You have to watch out with switching out brands early and all over the place as the detergent add pack can screw around with your testing giving a false or legitimate high reading of wear metals. Then there is Mobil 1 5w-30 ESP that I use that is on the higher end of the 5-30 viscosity scale to more like a light 5-40, and has a lot of manufacture certifications. I like this because it gives me some weapons to use if they try to void my warranty because of oil. But then again, didn't you say Hyundai is not calling out ACEA A5/B5 in your 2019 Kona manual like they did in my 2018 Kona manual? That oil spec is not doing any favors for a highly used turbo motor. If so, that is nice because Hyundai WOULD try to use it against you/us if they could in a blown motor warranty claim. Getting rid of Hyundai sub-standard oil spec helps use buy better oil for our cars, even though I bought what I wanted to use knowing they speced a sub-standard mileage based oil spec. If some of you are looking for good oil, always use German oil specs from VW a a guide to getting quality designed oil. There are other German manufacture specs, but if you go by just VW you will be 100% fine and you have only one manufacture spec to go by to make it an easier choice. The Germans demand the best oils in their cars, while the Asian's could careless.

·
Registered
14 Posts
But then again, didn't you say Hyundai is not calling out ACEA A5/B5 in your 2019 Kona manual like they did in my 2018 Kona manual? That oil spec is not doing any favors for a highly used turbo motor.
It says “API Latest (ILSAC Latest) or ACEA A5/B5*”

Footnote says “If ACEA A5 isn’t available in your country, you are able to use ILSAC GL-3 (or above) or ACEA A3 (or above.)”

When I read that, if you’re using SN+, GL-5, or ACEA A5/B5 you’re golden...

81 - 89 of 89 Posts