Hyundai Kona Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
I remember reading an old test on the first generation Countach (that was a Lamborghini) in the seventies, Road&Track tested it around 6.2 seconds from 0 - 60 and a top speed of 175 mph.

A new Kona could keep up with it, up to a point, and the Kia Stinger would beat it in all respect.
These are the good ole days !

Car & Driver times I feel are a bit embellished across all their testing, I feel it is used for marketing reasons. Hyundai puts the AWD 1.6T Kona 0-60 times at 7.0, and that matches up to others that test 0-60 times in the Kona.

The AWD adds as they say 180 lbs and living in Minnesota it is the first option on my checklist. But for a performance car I would still get it if I lived in the desert. It would still be first on my list. After owning a high hp front wheel drive car before, I want none of that NOW. The only caveat is if you had Hyundia's limited slip hydraulic differential, that has extensive testing and has an advanced algorithm for sport use. It can only be found in the "true" N models as an option., and has expensive maintenance issues long term.

Just as Audi saw mass 1st place wins in road racing when they started bringing AWD into the mix, Audi had to be restricted a handful of times to make them so handycapped with their AWD. AWD lets you power through corners where any 2wd car can't, that can be seen at the cars limit where a tire can only do so much when it has to do 100% of the steering and 100% of laying down the power to the road. Many times in very hard cornering where my car is at the limit you can feel the rear being pushed through the corner where if it was a FWD car it would be nothing but understeer. I will give up .3 in 0-60 times all day long for the benefit of having AWD in the corners.
That answers my question about the SEL AWD model having a LSD.
"Hyundia's limited slip hydraulic differential, that has extensive testing and has an advanced algorithm for sport use. It can only be found in the "true" N models "

I must say I'm getting addicted to going to sport mode and then taking over the shifts in the auto majical manual mode, coming from someone used to driving a real manual.

Hope this doesn't break the tranny...

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.