Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to post this after Bad-Papa commented of his wheel spin and tire wear on another post, but thought it was not related at all to the original post.

I know traction control kicks in and helps/wrecks the acceleration run, I would assume you tested what works the best for some of you when sport driving. Running with or without traction control. In my AWD Kona, IF I know I will be taking slower sharper multiple turns I will disable traction control and stability control. If I am coming into exit ramps at 80 mph and throwing it into the ramp, I leave on both for safety. Can some of you FWD who sport driver explain how the FWD Kona power vs tire traction while sport driving with 200 ft lbs of almost instant power when the turbo hits in the lower gears.

I couldn't imagine having a FWD Kona with one wheel wonder and no limited slip. With the 200 ft lbs of torque, a hard 90 deg corner, full acceleration in first or second gear, I would think the outcome would be massive wheel spin and tire wear. When the boost hits in second gear that tire is going to spin. I have to think you guys get full blown wheel spin going dead straight in second gear? Do you get wheel spin on new concrete that has been brushed too? How about asphalt in 3rd gear, do you get wheel spin there going straight and what happen when cornering?

·
Registered
483 Posts
i gets gobbs of wheel spin with the OE front tires, regardless of surface. Quite a bit more prevalent on asphalt, than concrete. Both wheels spin with trac/stability on. And with some slight foot/gas pedal manipulation you can get the tires to chirp in high rpm gear change in sport mode. I can still spin the tires in normal mode, but not for very long.

The biggest issue i've had with stability/tract control is under some high speed corners where the inner caliper of the turn, applies aggressive braking, nearly locking that brake, causing excessive oversteer, or control loss in certain road conditions.

·
Super Moderator
991 Posts
The programming is pretty generous on wheel spin.. The front unloads and I need to let off at times.. As @1fastKona mentioned, the traction control is too abrupt in its execution.. at least for spirited smooth driving..

·
Super Moderator
991 Posts
i gets gobbs of wheel spin with the OE front tires, regardless of surface. Quite a bit more prevalent on asphalt, than concrete. Both wheels spin with trac/stability on. And with some slight foot/gas pedal manipulation you can get the tires to chirp in high rpm gear change in sport mode. I can still spin the tires in normal mode, but not for very long.

The biggest issue i've had with stability/tract control is under some high speed corners where the inner caliper of the turn, applies aggressive braking, nearly locking that brake, causing excessive oversteer, or control loss in certain road conditions.
both wheels spin ? Is this equipped with a limited slip .. I thought the front right was the drive wheel..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts