Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in getting one of these, I know how they work. My question, does all the oil get drained out, as well as a traditional drain bolt? The threaded stud that goes into the oil pan has to leave some oil in the pan. I just recently changed our oil, after the free 1st change, and found the bolt almost completely rounded off. I mentioned this to our service manager, who said bring it in so they could look at it. (LOL) I also witnessed a "mechanic" drop a mounted tire with a aluminum wheel from about 4 foot off the ground doing a tire rotation while changing oil! Needless to say I didn't find that funny at all!!!

·
Super Moderator
346 Posts
There is always some oil left even with the drain plug removed. I have been using fumoto for years. I have them on all my cars. If you are OCD about getting every drop out, get an extractor pump. :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm interested in getting one of these, I know how they work. My question, does all the oil get drained out, as well as a traditional drain bolt? The threaded stud that goes into the oil pan has to leave some oil in the pan. I just recently changed our oil, after the free 1st change, and found the bolt almost completely rounded off. I mentioned this to our service manager, who said bring it in so they could look at it. (LOL) I also witnessed a "mechanic" drop a mounted tire with a aluminum wheel from about 4 foot off the ground doing a tire rotation while changing oil! Needless to say I didn't find that funny at all!!!
The dropping of an inflated tire from a lift is normal. Those wheel/tire combo's are over 50 pounds each. Its not hurting the rim, nor the tire, after all, i bet it bounced.

Another option is the Dorman 092-020 Twist Drain Solution. I have one on my car, its quick and easy. I find the easiest way to get all the oil out of your using a jack and stands, is while the drain is unlocked, lower the car to a level surface. That will allow most of the oil to drain out. Your never going to get all the oil out.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-103913-092-020.aspx?year=2018&make=Hyundai&model=Kona&parttype=Oil%20Drain%20Plug&origin=YMM

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dropping of an inflated tire from a lift is normal. Those wheel/tire combo's are over 50 pounds each. Its not hurting the rim, nor the tire, after all, i bet it bounced.

Another option is the Dorman 092-020 Twist Drain Solution. I have one on my car, its quick and easy. I find the easiest way to get all the oil out of your using a jack and stands, is while the drain is unlocked, lower the car to a level surface. That will allow most of the oil to drain out. Your never going to get all the oil out.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-103913-092-020.aspx?year=2018&make=Hyundai&model=Kona&parttype=Oil%20Drain%20Plug&origin=YMM

It was dropped face down! Discount Tire does all my rotations (free) and do it properly. I do like your drain plug a little better, I may actually mill some slots on the neck of the plug, on the inside of the oil pan to get a little more oil out, I'll have to measure the thickness of the flange on the oil pan first. I mounted car tires when I was in High School, never dropped any, but we didn't lift cars that high to do multi tasking .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts