Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
HYUNDAI KONA ELITE 2018
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I went on a 1 week trip driving around 1k kms and noticed small insects and chipping of or some bents in the internal front mesh aluminum like due to small tiny rocks hitting the mesh and its getting bent.

Please advise how to fix it and is there any mesh which can protect the front aluminum radiator mesh? How much does it cost to replace it ? Is it something I need to worry about or take care. Please advise, I have no experience on this.

Any inputs are appreciated. Please find the attached picture for your reference. This is the front radiator part of my Hyundai Kona- at the back of the black grill in front of the engine. Is there some kind of mesh where we need to buy from external market and put in the front so as not to damage the radiator below. Please help.

Thanks & Regards
M

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
6 years from now you may have to worry. I always am fully aware who is in front of me on the highway kicking up pebbles. I give any from of truck (if I came) at least 20-30 car lengths space between us. Then there is the drifter, who drifts or rides the side of the road kicking up debris you need to avoid.

When I put in a new intercooler and had the front bumper nose off I used a digital multi-meter probe end as a tool to open up the dents in my radiator. They don't look like new, but they flow air. After 2 1/2 years and 22,000 miles mine was about 3 times worse then yours, and that me as I said above trying to avoid the damage.

The probes work great, as they are not overly sharp. This picture is of a nice pair of probes, cheaper one are even less sharp then these.

·
Registered
HYUNDAI KONA ELITE 2018
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
6 years from now you may have to worry. I always am fully aware who is in front of me on the highway kicking up pebbles. I give any from of truck (if I came) at least 20-30 car lengths space between us. Then there is the drifter, who drifts or rides the side of the road kicking up debris you need to avoid.

When I put in a new intercooler and had the front bumper nose off I used a digital multi-meter probe end as a tool to open up the dents in my radiator. They don't look like new, but they flow air. After 2 1/2 years and 22,000 miles mine was about 3 times worse then yours, and that me as I said above trying to avoid the damage.

The probes work great, as they are not overly sharp. This picture is of a nice pair of probes, cheaper one are even less sharp then these.

Hi Mate, Thanks a lot for the tips and update. I did not know that we will get this kind of problem and did not take care to drive past drifters or while driving in the outback. Now that I have noticed, will be careful from next time. Probably drive slow and very far from other vehicles.

2nd thing is there any mesh or some kind of plastic mesh where I can put in the front or at the back of my grill in front of the radiator to prevent further damage.

Has anyone done on their kona, please share the link to purchase and steps to do it. Appreciate it.

Thanks again,
M

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
1fastKona has some kind of plastic or fiber mesh grid he uses. Fiberglass door screen would work and hide a bit since it is dark, I guess I would want the screen percentage to be opened up a bit more then common screen door speced screen. It is out there I bet. Don't forget the intercooler too. I know my old Honda Fit's condenser was smashed down by a high percentage just before selling it. Seeing that was when it was apparent I needed to watch who I followed a bit more, not in nutty way, but if you can move over or pull back a bit I do it now. But then again, I also know now I can fix them by a high percentage. I will now fix them every 2-3 years or so. (percentage is a key word in this post).:)

·
Registered
HYUNDAI KONA ELITE 2018
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1fastKona has some kind of plastic or fiber mesh grid he uses. Fiberglass door screen would work and hide a bit since it is dark, I guess I would want the screen percentage to be opened up a bit more then common screen door speced screen. It is out there I bet. Don't forget the intercooler too. I know my old Honda Fit's condenser was smashed down by a high percentage just before selling it. Seeing that was when it was apparent I needed to watch who I followed a bit more, not in nutty way, but if you can move over or pull back a bit I do it now. But then again, I also know now I can fix them by a high percentage. I will now fix them every 2-3 years or so. (percentage is a key word in this post).:)
ok, do you know anyone in Sydney who can fix this or its DIY. Please update. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I think you have a couple of good years till you need to worry about degraded cooling. The engineers have built in a couple years of this kind of damage.

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
647 Posts
Hi, I went on a 1 week trip driving around 1k kms and noticed small insects and chipping of or some bents in the internal front mesh aluminum like due to small tiny rocks hitting the mesh and its getting bent.

Please advise how to fix it and is there any mesh which can protect the front aluminum radiator mesh? How much does it cost to replace it ? Is it something I need to worry about or take care. Please advise, I have no experience on this.

Any inputs are appreciated. Please find the attached picture for your reference. This is the front radiator part of my Hyundai Kona- at the back of the black grill in front of the engine. Is there some kind of mesh where we need to buy from external market and put in the front so as not to damage the radiator below. Please help.

View attachment 4927

Thanks & Regards
M
The damage to your condenser is minor at best. That metal core is not your radiator, but the air conditioner condenser. Its not the fin damage you should be worried about, but those long straight horizontal bars, thats where the actual refrigerant is, and it takes quite alot to damage those sections. If the look of the bent fins bothers you, you can manually straighten them with a fin comb, or something similar. You could even use a straight hair comb.

On my kona, with all the driving i do, i added a nomex honeycomb core protector used on modified dirt racing trucks, which is common here in the US, i have no idea about Australia.

·
Registered
HYUNDAI KONA ELITE 2018
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The damage to your condenser is minor at best. That metal core is not your radiator, but the air conditioner condenser. Its not the fin damage you should be worried about, but those long straight horizontal bars, thats where the actual refrigerant is, and it takes quite alot to damage those sections. If the look of the bent fins bothers you, you can manually straighten them with a fin comb, or something similar. You could even use a straight hair comb.

On my kona, with all the driving i do, i added a nomex honeycomb core protector used on modified dirt racing trucks, which is common here in the US, i have no idea about Australia.
May I have the link for nomex honeycomb core protector. Will order it online. Did you custom made or purchased it ?

·
Registered
HYUNDAI KONA ELITE 2018
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If we want to search in google, for any radiator protection mesh or guard or something ...what name should we find it. Can we get it first of all? I mean do they manufacture something to protect the condenser ? Do we have anything at all or do we need to get it custom built by a mechanic ? If we buy the honeycomb mesh how to get it installed ? Please advise. I am planning to go on a long trip next weekend and I want to protect my condenser as i am worried it might get more damaged. please help any experts who have done anything at all to protector their condensers ? Appreciate it. Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
553 Posts
Most the screens they used are from home improvement centers. There might be some products I'm not aware of.

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
647 Posts
If we want to search in google, for any radiator protection mesh or guard or something ...what name should we find it. Can we get it first of all? I mean do they manufacture something to protect the condenser ? Do we have anything at all or do we need to get it custom built by a mechanic ? If we buy the honeycomb mesh how to get it installed ? Please advise. I am planning to go on a long trip next weekend and I want to protect my condenser as i am worried it might get more damaged. please help any experts who have done anything at all to protector their condensers ? Appreciate it. Cheers.

Nomex Honeycomb Radiator Guard Protector Screen Mesh, 22 x 31

This is what i used, I also used radiator/bbq paint, which is just a spray paint for high temperature usage. It takes quite a few cans to get all the holes a universal even color, but makes the silver condenser disappear behind the grill.
The upper sectionfor the radiator and condenser has a large plastic duct that directs air through those cores. Its has a couple of 10mm bolts that hold it on. Remove the duct, measure the inside opening of the duct, and using regular sharp scissors or a utility knife, cut the nomex to fit that opening. But the nomex a tad oversized so it fits snug in the duct. Then reinstall the duct with the nomex inside. If you have a turbo model, the intercooler can also be protected, but needs a funky set of special zipties too hold the nomex in place. Again, cut to size, follow directions on those zipties, mount the nomex to the intercooler, and thats it. Its very easy, you dont need a mechanic for it. And the bumper takes about 5mins to remove, if its your 1st time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts