Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When taking my 2020 Kona EV on straight and level freeway driving, should the Regenerative braking be off?

·
Registered
9/18 EU base model
178 Posts
Well, that's a first for that question. It's whatever you prefer. I'd use Level 0 (off) if economy was my priority although I suspect driving fractionally slower, say 3 mph, would make a similar difference.
The only danger economy-wise of using a higher regen is that when you relax your foot off the gas momentarily you'll impose unnecessary regen, and therefore acquire unnecessary losses.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes, active cruise control. But if you want to be in control then as others mentioned probably zero regen is most efficient. But then you need to remember that the car will behave differently to what you normally drive at (say regen 2)!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, active cruise control. But if you want to be in control then as others mentioned probably zero regen is most efficient. But then you need to remember that the car will behave differently to what you normally drive at (say regen 2)!
I would think on a freeway letting the adaptive cruise handle the decisions would be more efficient than trying to control it yourself.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would think on a freeway letting the adaptive cruise handle the decisions would be more efficient than trying to control it yourself.
Probably - hopefully 😬
But i have found in some cases that the default distance behind other vehicles is large enough so that silly drivers duck into it, then i slow down (sometimes quickly) and the person behind (probably too close) has to slow quickly etc.
if everyone drove carefully or with active cruise (or autonomous one day) then it would be fine 😬

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah I get people ducking in front of me when SCC is on, I actually don't drop in on other people as close anymore having experienced that in SCC.

I guess another perspective is if someone is an ICE driver and coming to EV land, regen 0 would not be similar to an ICE, regen 1 might be a closer experience to foot off deceleration.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts