Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm driving Pele' in the HOV lane, cruising along, 6pm so fully dark. I see brake lights ahead, so I take my foot off the accelerator and start looking ahead closely, on the alert for cars swerving or accident debris. Suddenly A MAN wearing dark clothes LEAPS in front of my car just 2 cars ahead of me! No automatic slowing, no warning chimes. No time to brake harder or even process what the heck I'm seeing/experiencing. Dude smacks hard, kinda rolls down my passenger side, taking out the mirror. He didn't even fall, just kinda bobbled and wobbled drunkenly as I stared slack jawed in the rearview. I worked my way to the shoulder and dialed 911, and burst into tears. My dashcam records sound, and there is no warning sound, no auto slowing, nothing but that hideous thump and crack. Just the warning light that my collision avoidance system (lights in the side mirrors, so duh) was bork. It took CHP over 45 more minutes to catch the guy, he was... crazy? Drugged? Anyway, over $3k in damage, 10 days minimum while we wait for parts.

But still.... why didn't the system go off? It does in daytime when I'm doing 15mph in a parking lot, and reverse warning is fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Seeing a person in dark clothes is hard. The Autobraking systems which get tested by NHSTA and IIHS are tested on cars and in daylight. Kona does well on the auto braking tests so owners should have a high level of confidence in it.

So very likely many of the autobraking systems would miss the person in dark clothing at night.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I’ve read that pedestrians and cyclists can be difficult for the automation to pickup, even in the daytime. So at night might be very unlikely.
Also that a very small “transponder” type device (for bicycles) has been tested to help with this issue. But not in production or anything yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
They also don't recognize motorcycles very well. In one of the motorcycle magazines they tested several vehicles and different motorcycles and the cars registered the motorcycle only half of the times.

·
Registered
6 Posts
+1 on motorcycles for me. SCC varies the following distance, repeatedly picking up and then losing the motorcycle. Just another reason to always be ready to take over I guess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts