Hyundai Kona Forum banner

Forward Collision Avoidance system

20K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  John G 
#1 ·
We just had our first major snow of the year here in the Chicago area, and my 2018 Kona Ultimate keeps indicating that my Forward Collision-Avoidance (FCA) system has been disable because the radar is blocked (by snow/ice I presume). Does anyone here know exactly where the radar for the FCA is located? I contacted my dealer and was told "somewhere behind the front bumper"...but I was hoping for a bit more of an exact location so that I know to keep that area clear of snow and ice in the future. Thanks in advance!

#5 ·
It will continue to be disabled until it is either cleared or cleaned. Subsequently, it's really it's not something you will need in snowy conditions. The brake application is abrupt when actuated and can cause a slide or skid on snow packed roads. The best thing to do is put it into early mode and hope you don't need it.

The sensor is located in the plastic black box below the bottom of the grill. Not in the grill. Go to the middle of the front grill and follow it down until you see the black box near the bottom.

Blessings and Peace

#6 · (Edited)
K. Not sure how this is going to pan out just yet. I have been reading on how to make a coating to make (plastic) surfaces more hydrophobic. I have hit upon 2 that seem super simple and am playing with this first method currently. Like yourself, we have started hitting into that sloppy phase of winter whereby the snow is like wet glue, routinely blocking the FCA Radar.
First method: Dissolve 5g (5ml) of RTV silicone (preferably clear) into 50ml of paint thinner (Varsol) This might take a bit, as you really have to keep agitating to get it all mixed together, then brush onto the surface of the sensor cover and let dry thoroughly. This too, may take a bit when cold, as silicone likes to be warm to cure. Hence, RTV = Room Temperature Vulcanizing. I started with this method as I had the materials available and if needed, I should be able to remove the products with a good scrubby and cleaning product.

Link to the article here:
https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-make...&oid=44875744&share=464757c9&srd=dRDPY&target type=answer

Will monitor the above method and report back on its efficacy.

The second method was even more intriguing, in that it uses common clear coat paint and (unscented) antiperspirant spray. Mask off the sensor cover and then apply a light coat of clear coat and then before it cures, spray over again with the antiperspirant. The ingredient, Cyclopentasiloxane, in the antiperspirant is the active compound that will repel the moisture.

Link to the article here:

I've yet to try the second method, as I'm still waiting to test the first. I also am uncertain as to how durable either of these two methods will be, given everybody's driving conditions will differ. If anyone else uses either of these methods let us know your results here as well!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.