Hyundai Kona Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone found a way to override the corner assist lights? The fog lights going out is borderline unbearable. I may end up wiring my fog lights to a separate switch.

·
Banned
178 Posts
Has anyone found a way to override the corner assist lights? The fog lights going out is borderline unbearable. I may end up wiring my fog lights to a separate switch.
There is a way but it gives a bulb out warning instead, which for me is just as annoying. You would have to splice in the power wire for the fog lamps and the corner lamps, with another wire. A set of relays are what powers each segment, so you would need to bypass power from 1 lamp to the other. This will illuminate both fogs and corner lamps, but with trip bulb out warnings due to the difference in resistance value.

·
Banned
1,276 Posts
Just a word to the wise, I don't recommend it. This is something that ought to be left up to someone who actually is aware of how it effects the system. Rewiring or messing with the electronic lighting features, might cause a problems elsewhere. It's not been attempted by anyone here, with first hand knowledge of the system. I'd advise, talking to someone who has worked directly with the system and knows what they're talking about. :wink:

I do know everything connected to the lighting, passive alert and safety systems, passes thru the ECU, so there may be a way to override it thru those settings. Which also means, it can effect other systems. It's no longer like rewiring or adding to old analog systems. You'll need to find someone with a properly coded Hyundai SAE Analyzer unit, to access the program settings.:smile:

Blessings and Peace

·
Banned
1,276 Posts
It's your Kona, you can do anything you want but keep in mind what I said above. Use some caution and advice from someone who knows what they're talking about.:smile:

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
373 Posts
There is a way but it gives a bulb out warning instead, which for me is just as annoying. You would have to splice in the power wire for the fog lamps and the corner lamps, with another wire. A set of relays are what powers each segment, so you would need to bypass power from 1 lamp to the other. This will illuminate both fogs and corner lamps, but with trip bulb out warnings due to the difference in resistance value.
Change the cornering lamps to leds wire in resistors (needed for the leds anway) in front of the relays.

All I'd be doing is making a new wiring harness for the existing fog lights with a new switch. The factory fog light or in sockets will need a dummy load to not throw codes. Job done....am I missing an obvious hurdle?
No load needed, just leave the factory fogs turned off.

·
Banned
1,276 Posts
No load needed, just leave the factory fogs turned off.
Yep!:grin:

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, I suspect a dummy load isn't needed on the factory plugs if I'm not using any of the factory harness.

My Mercedes will throw codes if a fog bulb is removed and the system isn't activated. At the very least it POSSIBLY will need one and I'm skilled enough to handle that in either case.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sorry to grave dig this thread, but I just discovered this "feature" with the fog lights and I hate it. I love the corner turn assist lights kicking on, they really do help you see into the turn especially on dark turns in rural areas. I just don't get the reasoning behind having the fogs cut off at every turn at low speed. At least give us an option to disable this "feature" in the dash menu...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting!!! Please test again in both Auto Lights and Full ON with Fog Lights, and let us know. Maybe there is an option in the Vehicle Settings Menu? I flipped through all of it, but didn't see anything, i'll check again.

My 2019 Kona Ultimate- This issue drives me crazy, my Fog Lights shut off when winding through a residential neighborhood. If I was slowly driving through heavy snow at night or navigating off-road and dodging large rocks or hazards...I don't want my fog lights shutting off! Who in their right mind thought reducing your night driving visibility was a good idea? If there is a plausible reason for safety, let me know. This just sounds like poor user-interface planning.
I agree with you 100% percent. The dealer told me my Kona (2018) turns on and off because I'm going under bridges. Didn't know why they turn on and off while driving at night.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with you 100% percent. The dealer told me my Kona (2018) turns on and off because I'm going under bridges. Didn't know why they turn on and off while driving at night.
I also have condensation on my passage DRL and I don't know what to do about it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had a 16 Tucson with a Turn Signal issue. When coming to a stop(Left turn) the blinkers would stop. Wiggle the switch. Ran fine. Other times the left turn signal would continue to flash up to 3 times After the switch canceled. Told a dealer. They said they saw it before with a newer model. They replaced the Multi-Function switch. Worked fine after that.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Going under bridges or through a tunnel might turn on\off headlights when set to AUTO. I'm talking about the lower fog lights, when the wheel is turned past 15deg. in either direction, the fog lights shut off and the turning lights come on.

·
Registered
70 Posts
for those of us who don't drive in cities, deal with a lot wild life, and snow... it's not a good thing. the lights are set low enough they shouldn't really be bothering anyone even with the added height. mine are on all the time, due to weather and wanting to be seen(considering mine is glow in the dark blue it's amazing how many have missed seeing me), i use them so i can see the eyes of the critters when driving in the dark.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have had my Kona about 3 weeks now and was wondering WTF with the fog lights. Foggy morning, pull out of the garage (slight turn), close garage door, turn on fog lights and.........nothing. Well I have the wheel slightly turned so they don't come on while the turn assist light is on. I sat there like that for about 5 minutes trying to figure out why fog lights aren't working. To make matters worse had to weave my way around the pumps to get gas this morning and a guys says "hey man your lights are messed up". This and flashing lights during remote start drives me crazy. At least I know it is supposed to function in this matter and not an electrical issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone notice the fogs turn off when you turn left or right from a stop? I was not sure or if was imagination the other night headlights on /fog on after stopping and then turning left or right the would turn off then turn back on after turning. If this a normal thing I think it is a weird design.
Yes, I have Kona 2020 and fog lights do go off for me too when I turn left or right. Which is very annoying in cities like NYC where there is a turn every 5 seconds. I also noticed there is another light that goes off during turns, I not sure which light is that but it definitely shuts off. I was just at Hyundai Service and they stated it's a feature to help see whats around the turn but if it is, it's very annoying.

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
735 Posts
Yes, I have Kona 2020 and fog lights do go off for me too when I turn left or right. Which is very annoying in cities like NYC where there is a turn every 5 seconds. I also noticed there is another light that goes off during turns, I not sure which light is that but it definitely shuts off. I was just at Hyundai Service and they stated it's a feature to help see whats around the turn but if it is, it's very annoying.
When the fog lights turn off when turning, your turn lights turn on. So each headlamp has 2 reflectors, The outer lamps are your headlamps, the Halogen lights are a separate low beam and high beam, on the Led models, the outer is both low/hi beam, and the inner one is a turning lamp.

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
735 Posts
On a side note, the fog lights stay on regardless of turning when in reverse.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The manual says not to use your fog laps unless it's absolutely necessary to see because it causes strain to the electrical system, I see ppl driving around with theirs on during the day, whatever.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts