Hyundai Kona Forum banner

141 - 145 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had 2nd oil change today in New York, they charged 90 bucks for synthetic oil and filter change. Receipt showed 4.8 quarts of oil used and I questioned why it took that much oil when it only supposed to hold only 4 qts? He gave me a bunch of BS so next time I’ll have to crawl under there and do it myself.
1.6T or 2.0? The 1.6T uses 4.5 L of oil, which is 4.74 QTs

·
Registered
37 Posts
My SE 2.0 with Filter took about 4 1/4 Qts.

My 2018 Harley 1200. Repair Manual states. 4 ounces inside filter before install. 2 Qts in the Tank. Run and Check. Since I am using an Automotive Filter, It takes about 2 3/4 Qts total. Gets me about halfway in the cross hatch. Too much, Gets sucked down the intake through blow by.

When working at the Nissan dealership, Service Manual was wrong on the 95 Maxima. Engine took less. Even my fathers Honda Snow Blower. Book states more oil than the engine actual needs. Book is just an Average.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I’m assuming you have the 1.6T and went in with around 3,000 miles? The reason I ask - Hyundai Severe Schedule for the car has it listed as 3,000 miles, not 3,750 as the dealer stated.
So I have the 1.6T as well. The dealer where I bought the car sold me a 3750 mi interval service plan, but as SCM wrote, the service manual states 6000 Normal driving, 3000 Severe. I live in NY and drive in NYC a lot, so I assume this will be severe. I asked several people at the dealer on different occasions and they both said 3750 for the 1.6T. I introduced myself to a dealer closer to me who I think I will use for service...he went online and printed the Hyundai recommendation for the 1.6T and it was every 3000 for severe (just like in the manual). I went online here and the same thing

He also stated that Hyundai recommends conventional oil and if I dump it every 3000, it is a waste to put in synthetic. I plan to cancel the service plan for every 3750 and do conventional every 3000 so as to ensure my warranty is not violated. Even changing every 3000, with the service coupons they always offer, it is probably cheaper than the contract. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I have the 1.6T as well. The dealer where I bought the car sold me a 3750 mi interval service plan, but as SCM wrote, the service manual states 6000 Normal driving, 3000 Severe. I live in NY and drive in NYC a lot, so I assume this will be severe. I asked several people at the dealer on different occasions and they both said 3750 for the 1.6T. I introduced myself to a dealer closer to me who I think I will use for service...he went online and printed the Hyundai recommendation for the 1.6T and it was every 3000 for severe (just like in the manual). I went online here and the same thing

He also stated that Hyundai recommends conventional oil and if I dump it every 3000, it is a waste to put in synthetic. I plan to cancel the service plan for the 3750 and do conventional every 3000 so as to ensure my warranty is not violated. Any thoughts?
I personally am using synthetic at 6,000 miles... severe/normal be darned.

141 - 145 of 145 Posts