Hyundai Kona Forum banner

141 - 160 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Had 2nd oil change today in New York, they charged 90 bucks for synthetic oil and filter change. Receipt showed 4.8 quarts of oil used and I questioned why it took that much oil when it only supposed to hold only 4 qts? He gave me a bunch of BS so next time I’ll have to crawl under there and do it myself.
1.6T or 2.0? The 1.6T uses 4.5 L of oil, which is 4.74 QTs

·
Registered
188 Posts
My SE 2.0 with Filter took about 4 1/4 Qts.

My 2018 Harley 1200. Repair Manual states. 4 ounces inside filter before install. 2 Qts in the Tank. Run and Check. Since I am using an Automotive Filter, It takes about 2 3/4 Qts total. Gets me about halfway in the cross hatch. Too much, Gets sucked down the intake through blow by.

When working at the Nissan dealership, Service Manual was wrong on the 95 Maxima. Engine took less. Even my fathers Honda Snow Blower. Book states more oil than the engine actual needs. Book is just an Average.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I’m assuming you have the 1.6T and went in with around 3,000 miles? The reason I ask - Hyundai Severe Schedule for the car has it listed as 3,000 miles, not 3,750 as the dealer stated.
So I have the 1.6T as well. The dealer where I bought the car sold me a 3750 mi interval service plan, but as SCM wrote, the service manual states 6000 Normal driving, 3000 Severe. I live in NY and drive in NYC a lot, so I assume this will be severe. I asked several people at the dealer on different occasions and they both said 3750 for the 1.6T. I introduced myself to a dealer closer to me who I think I will use for service...he went online and printed the Hyundai recommendation for the 1.6T and it was every 3000 for severe (just like in the manual). I went online here and the same thing

He also stated that Hyundai recommends conventional oil and if I dump it every 3000, it is a waste to put in synthetic. I plan to cancel the service plan for every 3750 and do conventional every 3000 so as to ensure my warranty is not violated. Even changing every 3000, with the service coupons they always offer, it is probably cheaper than the contract. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
14 Posts
So I have the 1.6T as well. The dealer where I bought the car sold me a 3750 mi interval service plan, but as SCM wrote, the service manual states 6000 Normal driving, 3000 Severe. I live in NY and drive in NYC a lot, so I assume this will be severe. I asked several people at the dealer on different occasions and they both said 3750 for the 1.6T. I introduced myself to a dealer closer to me who I think I will use for service...he went online and printed the Hyundai recommendation for the 1.6T and it was every 3000 for severe (just like in the manual). I went online here and the same thing

He also stated that Hyundai recommends conventional oil and if I dump it every 3000, it is a waste to put in synthetic. I plan to cancel the service plan for the 3750 and do conventional every 3000 so as to ensure my warranty is not violated. Any thoughts?
I personally am using synthetic at 6,000 miles... severe/normal be darned.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since you have regular Dino oil in the Kona, I would suggest you utilize their recommended change at 3750. Ask them for a synthetic upgrade if you wish to pay for it. I don't know if you have a Platinum Service Plan but we do and generally it's free. The first oil change is always one of the most crucial.
My Kona dealer started blowing my phone up about coming in for maintenance before I had 500 miles on it . They called every week until I blocked them..I told I'm 63 this is not my 1st car an I can read..So now after owning since Aug 2 2019 I only have 3k miles..I think it will run till January 2020 just fine with the oil that's in there.. Charlotte, NC .

·
Registered
2 Posts

He also stated that Hyundai recommends conventional oil and if I dump it every 3000, it is a waste to put in synthetic. I plan to cancel the service plan for every 3750 and do conventional every 3000 so as to ensure my warranty is not violated. Even changing every 3000, with the service coupons they always offer, it is probably cheaper than the contract. Any thoughts?
Actually if you divide oil change by miles an price of oil an fee they charge then you will see they are making at least 100$ on you an I'm sure when your contract was wrote into Bill it was made to sound like they were doing you a favor by changing your oil. When they did mine they made it sound FREE.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
1.6T or 2.0? The 1.6T uses 4.5 L of oil, which is 4.74 QTs
The 1.6T uses 4.0 Liters of oil with a new filter. I use Mobil 1 5w-30 ESP in mine and that oil comes in 1 Liter bottles and 4 bottles fills it perfectly with a new filter.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I took the Kona to the dealer for it's first oil change, at 1,067 miles. I asked them to pull a sample of the used oil, and I sent it in to Blackstone Labs for an analysis. They also refilled it with the "oil it comes with" from the factory. Service manager said he would wait until we have about 3,000 miles on it before we go to the full synthetic as the break in process isn't complete at 1,000 miles.

Attached is a picture of the report:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/CuqZTyN1RlWXBepaftnXWQ.OKUYdTCBvkhn0MYTD_ZfqB

We followed the break in instructions pretty much to the letter, keep it under 4,000 rpms, no full throttle acceleration, varying the speed and gear we were driving in, up to the specified 600 miles. Then we started pushing it a bit harder. My wife drives the car most of the time, and I will admit she doesn't let it get up to full operating temps, so I have been taking it out on Saturday mornings, and driving it like it supposed to, and making sure it gets up to full operating temps, and stays there for at least 15-20 minutes.

I've never owned a Turbo before so this is a new experience for us.
Just wondering if you have had any more oil dilution problems since having the oil tested at Blackstone, or has it eased up?

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
694 Posts
My Kona dealer started blowing my phone up about coming in for maintenance before I had 500 miles on it . They called every week until I blocked them..I told I'm 63 this is not my 1st car an I can read..So now after owning since Aug 2 2019 I only have 3k miles..I think it will run till January 2020 just fine with the oil that's in there.. Charlotte, NC .

Ahh so that must be you i see on I-85 recently. I have the Dark Grey limited model stuck in the slow lane every morning by exit 39.

·
Registered
338 Posts
We haven't had another oil change since the first one, and I haven't noticed the oil level being any higher on the dipstick, so I'm going to say it's OK, until it's not.

It's literally the wife's vehicle, and she rarely drives more than 5 miles at a time, so her Kona will be a good test of the oil dilution "problem" if there is one. She's at 4,167 miles now, and I'm going to get a change at 5,000 miles. It'll be 1 year on 3/1/2020, since we took delivery, so I'll get it changed then regardless of her mileage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am going to go with an early initial oil change at 700 miles. Use an OEM oil filter and filled with M1 EP.
Moving forward I will be using Mobil1 EP 5W 30 with OEM oil filters with 5K mile intervals and then get regular lab analysis reports to monitor engine break-in and how well M1 performs inside this 1.6L turbo beast. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just changed my oil and filter at 1000 miles and put in 4.75 gts per the manual and noticed it is showing overfilled on the dipstick has anyone else noticed this.

·
Super Moderator
585 Posts
There will always be some oil left in the engine. I always fill the last quart slowly and check the dip stick at the same time as not to over fill.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I just changed my oil and filter at 1000 miles and put in 4.75 gts per the manual and noticed it is showing overfilled on the dipstick has anyone else noticed this.
IF you were right at the full line when you did your change and are you saying you gained oil after 1000 miles? If you are in northern states like I am in Minnesota, and you have a turbo motor, and a short tripper, you can gain up to 3/4 of a qt of fuel/moisture dilution. by 3,000 miles. If so, welcome to the club. It can gain a visible amount as soon as 200 miles into a new oil change. Non turbo GDI have less of a problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I recently pulled some oil from my Kona and sent it to Blackstone Labs for analysis. It had 9,758 miles on it at the time I pulled the sample, and it is still running in my Kona currently. I had changed the factory oil at around the 3,000 mile mark, and the Kona has over 13,000 miles on it now. I am using Amsoil "Boosted" oil, which is rated for 12,000 mile change intervals and it looks like it will be fine going a couple thousand more miles on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Did my 3rd tire rotation and 2nd oil change today at just over 15,000 miles on the Kona. The Amsoil oil and filter I changed had 12,000 miles on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
What's the best synthetic oil? I'm not sure I want to use Quaker state. Can you buy hyundai oil filters somewhere other than the dealer?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
For an everyday driver, any name brand full synthetic oil will be fine. They are all over enginnnered for your use and the only reason you would need a better oil is if you had a turbo and you are autocrossing/racing or driving it like you were autocrossing/racing. Quaker State Full Synthetic is actually a good oil. A lot of people on Bob's The Oil Guy rate it well. I would suggest using only a 5w-30 oil in any Hyundai. In a turbo that is the minimum you can use. They allow its use in your manual and is a little more robust then 5w-20 .

If you try to buy OEM filters on Amazon or Ebay there is a high chance you "may" get a counterfeit. Google discount Hyundai OEM parts and do some investigating on their website through whats post on it, or through contact us, that they are an actual Hyundai dealer in the USA. You may save a buck or two if you buy from a Kia online discount online store. The filters are the same. Hyundai 4 cylinders all use the same filter. So look up 2019 Kia Forte and you will get your filter.

Hyundai Parts Deal dot com IS NOT one of them.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Walmart by me sells the Hyundai Filters. Think I saw them at Auto Zone???

141 - 160 of 166 Posts