Hyundai Kona Forum banner

121 - 140 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just had my 3k oil change and inspection on my 2018 Limited AWD Turbo. The receipt from dealership:
1 26300-35505 Filter Assy - Engine Oil
1 21513-23001 Gasket Oil Plug
3.8 H5W-30C-5W30 Conv Oil
Also done - "Assurance Multi Point Inspection."
Next check-up: 6782 or March 2020.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just had my 3k oil change and inspection on my 2018 Limited AWD Turbo. The receipt from dealership:
1 26300-35505 Filter Assy - Engine Oil
1 21513-23001 Gasket Oil Plug
3.8 H5W-30C-5W30 Conv Oil
Also done - "Assurance Multi Point Inspection."
Next check-up: 6782 or March 2020.
I’m assuming you have the 1.6T and went in with around 3,000 miles? The reason I ask - Hyundai Severe Schedule for the car has it listed as 3,000 miles, not 3,750 as the dealer stated.

Which brings me to my bigger question (in general) - why is the Kona able to go 6,000 miles per oil change when the Tucson is only able to go 5,000? Does the Kona have a slightly modified Gamma Turbo?

·
Super Moderator
1,190 Posts
The Tucson is heavier, so more load on the engine might be a reason..
The new Tucson models use the 2.4 GDI engine and is normally aspirated. The wife drives a 2018 sportage with same engine and 5K oil change intervals

Which brings me to my bigger question (in general) - why is the Kona able to go 6,000 miles per oil change when the Tucson is only able to go 5,000? Does the Kona have a slightly modified Gamma Turbo?

·
Super Moderator
585 Posts
Which brings me to my bigger question (in general) - why is the Kona able to go 6,000 miles per oil change when the Tucson is only able to go 5,000?
The oil change interval for the same 1.6T in Europe in 10K miles

·
Registered
56 Posts
I’m assuming you have the 1.6T and went in with around 3,000 miles? The reason I ask - Hyundai Severe Schedule for the car has it listed as 3,000 miles, not 3,750 as the dealer stated.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Confused. I took in with just over 3k miles on my 1.6T AWD LIMITED 2018 Kona. My next oil change is recommended at 6750, which is 3700 miles from this 1st oil change.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The oil change interval for the same 1.6T in Europe in 10K miles
On what oil requirements? That’s a pretty sizable difference TBH.

The Tucson is heavier, so more load on the engine might be a reason..
The new Tucson models use the 2.4 GDI engine and is normally aspirated. The wife drives a 2018 sportage with same engine and 5K oil change intervals
Thought the Sportage has the 2.0L tGDI... but the reason you suggested is logical.
Also - I thought taking the 1.6L option out of the Tucson was stupid. But that’s just me.

·
Super Moderator
1,190 Posts

Thought the Sportage has the 2.0L tGDI... but the reason you suggested is logical.
Also - I thought taking the 1.6L option out of the Tucson was stupid. But that’s just me.
Just searched and the tucson has a 2.0 as base but not turbo ? Not sure.. but not same engine as kona as previous gens used.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just searched and the tucson has a 2.0 as base but not turbo ? Not sure.. but not same engine as kona as previous gens used.
2016+ Tucson have a 2.0L Nu as its base engine. The upgrade motor is a 2.4L Theta 2 after the 1.6L Gamma tGDI was no longer offered.

The Sportage (and oddly enough the Santa Fe Sport) have the same base motor (which is the Tucson’s upgrade) - the 2.4L Theta 2. Their upgrade motor is a 2.0L Theta 2 tGDI.

·
Super Moderator
585 Posts
Don't remembered, I saw the chart and found it interesting. That was over a year ago. My second post in the thread on first page still has the attachment.

·
Registered
188 Posts
When I hit 1100 Miles I did the first oil change. Used Valvoline Syn Blend (Daily Driver) 5w20 and a Hyundai oil filter #35504. Since then the engine starts quieter. Also replaced the drain plug with a Magnetic one. 14x 1.5 thread.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No, the engines are not broken in at the factory. You don't own a Lamborghini, Maserati or Ferrari. A Kona is not even close to a price point that would even come close to have that as a protocol. There is not $500 for an in car dyno run or a $2,000 bench dyno run for proper break-in in anything put high end cars. `Your Kona was tested for all but 10 mins, far from broken in at the factory. Granted rod and crank bearings are broken in at 50 miles and rings by 500 to 750 miles if loaded.

I'm not sure you are correct. Just saying. Maybe it's true. Maybe not. But I think not.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can't believe there are so many hypochondriacs here. I just expect the manufacturer to know what's best, especially with the generous warranty supplied. Well, to each his own. I guess I'm just lazy and frugal.

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Kona
16 Posts
Informed, preventative, Smart. Not really hypocondriacts, just people who who know a few things.

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Kona
16 Posts
Changed the oil today in my 2.0 I was at 1,274 miles, the oil was darker than I expected. I used Pennzoil platinum 5w30 synthetic and the oem filter. It didn't take to long to change, I was scared I'd never get the filter off but it came off pretty easy. Seems to be a tad quieter if that's even possible. ?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Had 2nd oil change today in New York, they charged 90 bucks for synthetic oil and filter change. Receipt showed 4.8 quarts of oil used and I questioned why it took that much oil when it only supposed to hold only 4 qts? He gave me a bunch of BS so next time I’ll have to crawl under there and do it myself.

121 - 140 of 166 Posts