Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I’m getting conflicting answers on the mileage at which to get your first oil change with a 2018 Kona.

Unless I’m reading it wrong, the documentation that came with my car said 6,000 miles, the dealership said 3,750. Do any of you have an authoritative response on this? Thank you very much!

·
Registered
255 Posts
A rule of thumb is always follow the book. That being said, first oil change is actually better to do well before even the 3,750 mark. Everyone has their own opinion as to how many miles should elapse but this thread is full of info on the subject. I'm taking mine in tomorrow for the first change, haven't even hit 600 miles yet.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Where are you seeing 6000? I checked the maintenance log that came with my Kona and it said 3750 was the recommended interval. My dealer actually said 3000 when I asked when I bought it. I could see 6000 for sure if you are running synthetic oil, but as delivered I was told my Kona had conventional oil in it.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Since you have regular Dino oil in the Kona, I would suggest you utilize their recommended change at 3750. Ask them for a synthetic upgrade if you wish to pay for it. I don't know if you have a Platinum Service Plan but we do and generally it's free. The first oil change is always one of the most crucial.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I believe and seeing this one time while at the service dept and also in the manual the factory fill was Quaker State Synthetic and from there on they push this oil for at it is Hyundai's choice of selection.

So overall use synthetic oil no matter what your next door neighbor or shop you go to or dealer says, especially in the turbo model and personally follow the severe mileage recommendation for changes. Turbo engines run hotter and then add in the GDI part. Good thing on these engines is that they are also water cooled along with oil and air but the oil is crucial to maintain set changes as it cheaper to change oil vs a new engine or turbo.

GDI engine I would stick with 5k to 6k max on changes again oil changes are cheaper than a new engine especially how these have the amount of blow by already.

Oil Catch cans can be a good insurance also.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My dealer actually said the manager of the service department likes to have new cars come back within a month of purchase for their first change.

·
Super Moderator
262 Posts
My dealer actually said the manager of the service department likes to have new cars come back within a month of purchase for their first change.
The first service in Australia on the Kona's (and pretty much all new Hyundai's) is free and required at 1 month and or 1000KM (620 Miles)

·
Registered
244 Posts
That is good for both cmllr and blackbetty , my dealership here and it was a again not really stated clearly but around 3000. I did my own around 3200 or so, but then I also knew the fill was Synthetic and I did not get on it at any time. Now though it will get only the synthetic of course and every 3500 to 4000 changes.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'll be doing my first oil change around the 500 mile mark and switching to full synthetics, and a real oil filter...

·
Registered
244 Posts
The fill from the factory was Synthetic, Quaker State. This is Hyundai's oil of choice so switching over to a better Synthetic though would be even better.

·
Registered
116 Posts
yeah and while it definitely wouldn't hurt to change the oil early, you are 100% not going to damage anything in any way by waiting the normal 4,000-5,000 mile interval before your first oil change. The engines are broken-in in the factory and have already reached their proper initial wear tolerances and had the oil changed before you'll ever sit in it. Again, not one bit disparaging those that change it early, and I personally will probably change mine at the 3,000 mile mark to satisfy my OCD tendencies, but don't freak out if you read this and haven't changed your oil in the first 5,000.

·
Registered
576 Posts
yeah and while it definitely wouldn't hurt to change the oil early, you are 100% not going to damage anything in any way by waiting the normal 4,000-5,000 mile interval before your first oil change. The engines are broken-in in the factory and have already reached their proper initial wear tolerances and had the oil changed before you'll ever sit in it. Again, not one bit disparaging those that change it early, and I personally will probably change mine at the 3,000 mile mark to satisfy my OCD tendencies, but don't freak out if you read this and haven't changed your oil in the first 5,000.

No, the engines are not broken in at the factory. You don't own a Lamborghini, Maserati or Ferrari. A Kona is not even close to a price point that would even come close to have that as a protocol. There is not $500 for an in car dyno run or a $2,000 bench dyno run for proper break-in in anything put high end cars. `Your Kona was tested for all but 10 mins, far from broken in at the factory. Granted rod and crank bearings are broken in at 50 miles and rings by 500 to 750 miles if loaded.

·
Registered
116 Posts
No, the engines are not broken in at the factory. You don't own a Lamborghini, Maserati or Ferrari. A Kona is not even close to a price point that would even come close to have that as a protocol. There is not $500 for an in car dyno run or a $2,000 bench dyno run for proper break-in in anything put high end cars. `Your Kona was tested for all but 10 mins, far from broken in at the factory. Granted rod and crank bearings are broken in at 50 miles and rings by 500 to 750 miles if loaded.

I could be wrong about this, but AFAIK every engine is bench dyno'd as a part of its standard testing procedure before coming off the line and being placed in a vehicle, and the oil and filter are changed after the bench dyno. This isn't a supercar hand-tuning process, but they are run, checked, and cleaned before final install. This SOP in combination with modern manufacturing tolerances and inspection results in engines that aren't shaving the sides of the bores to final fit and seating rings like older engines did in the first few hundred miles, resulting in significantly polluted oil from the first few drives.

Don't get me wrong, there is still a "break in" period where you shouldn't be redlining your car or dumping the clutch, but this cycle no longer necessitates early oil changes. I didn't mean to mislead about the break in period, but they wouldn't be producing cars that are going to suffer damage from not adhering to different rules in the first oil change cycle and still offer a 10/100,000 warranty.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
About this Discussion
102 Replies
31 Participants
dpdurst
Hyundai Kona Forum
Hyundai Kona Forum - the best place to talk about the new Hyundai Kona, the new city SUV and its upcoming Kia twin!
Full Forum Listing