Hyundai Kona Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts
Here is an anecdotal theory I have that there is a better then a 50% chance the Kona N will have AWD, but only slightly. I was thinking 60%, after writing this I want to change it to 52%. Ha Ha.

I have been scoring the internet for Kona N info, I came upon some videos (cleared history and I don't want to spend time hunting again) that had a Kona N and an i30 N racing on a race track. The Kona N had almost no tire squeal and the i30 N was singing to the high heavens with squeal through the same corner. They appeared to going the same speed. Yes, yes I know the different of tire squealing could be as little as 1 mph difference. Driver style differences of super smooth vs very aggressive could account for this too.

We also had Hyundai stating in the very beginning that they were going to drop in the exact drivetrain of the 130 N/Veloster N and call it the Kona N. The thing that is throwing me the most is the Top Gear article, they are very well connected to Hyundai, and Hyundai UK will be one of the large buyers and one of the ship to receivers of the Kona N. Testing for suspension tuning was definitely done in the UK. Their automobile press have far more access to Hyundai testing and the test car then does North American auto press.

List price for a 2021 Veloster DCT $33.750 , a Kona AWD option on the 1.6T is $1,400 . The going said ball park figure Hyundai is pushing for the Kona N is $35,000 ish. Add $1,400 to the Veloster N DCT and you get $35,150. So we could have a match here. It is a plausible price scheme that an AWD Kona N would have.

Then I look at what would be the next move for Hyundai. I see that they COULD get away with putting the 2wd Kona in with the Veloster N and find a home, as I don't care for the Veloster N, I personally would want an i30 N. But then again Hyundai also needs if they wanted to, to get into the VW Golf R, Subaru WRX and now to Europe only, the Toyota GR Yaris playing field to go to the next level of the high performance game. The Kona N AWD would fit perfectly into that notch. We know there will be a Tucson N-Line with the 290 hp 2.5 turbo, so no need for a Tucson N yet.

IF the Kona N comes in 2wd it will only be for a year or two, it will eventually come in an AWD because IT JUST MAKES ALL THE SENSE IN THE WORLD for it to be that way.

Kia just dropped the official Kona N teaser.

"Ready for a whole N-ew adventure? The all-new KONA N is the first SUV to join the N family. With a 2.0 Turbo engine, it’s available with an eight-speed wet dual-clutch transmission (known as N DCT) and delivers a powerful, nimble driving experience."

REALLY bad news. I messaged a guy who did this video on the Kona N and he had access to it and said he looked underneath it and said it was 2WD. I cant see it being this far along and having them add AWD this late in the testing. Well Hyundai is going to lose some sales on that choice IF it is accurate. I will just get a Golf R then. One sale lost.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Yep, they definitely lost a sale here as well. Hopefully they will eventually release an AWD model in later years. Guess I will hold onto my current Kona AWD Limited for a bit longer which is fine with me!

Theres lots of speculation and rumors. Hyundai themselves have not said either way if AWD or not. How can any manufacturer of a street/track car not make AWD an option? They would lose out too much in sales for the target market.

Too many alternatives with AWD not to have it. Its already in the 1.6T. So simply doable.

Also, I doubt Hyundai will get $35k MSRP here in the states.

I work with new car dealers every day. I can tell you regardless of what the Monroney sticker says, this car will sell at around $30k plus TTT.

I am ready to buy it as soon as I can drive one.

First off, you tell me were and what dealer will sell a model with limited production of a wanted high performance car for $5,000 under sticker. When we had a high percentage of Hyundai dealers wanting $3,000 over sticker for the Veloster N and almost every dealer holding out to sticker or above. Sorry to say most won't get your wishful pricing on the Kona N. You may have connections with dealer's that will give you that price. Even for you , I don't see $5,000 off a Kona N sticker price.

As for not having AWD, oh how I wish it will happen. But there have been many people that have direct access to Hyundai reps when writing articles like Top Gear UK that stated it's 2WD. There still is a chance, as I too can't see any reasoning not to have made it in AWD. I even posted that if Hyundai charges $1,400 US for the AWD option as the $35,000 pice tag makes sense that AWD is in that $35,000 price. Sitting and waiting, and not giving concerned posts on AWD does us AWD buyer no good. Hyundai needs to HEAR we want AWD. And hear if it is not there, we are not buying it.

Their sales will lag if they think they will have buyers at $35k in the US.
It’s a Hyundai not a bimmer.
I do know how far dealers can/will go off MSRP. I seriously doubt the Kona N will sticker at $35k. I hope it doesn’t because I’ll go straight to the bimmer dealer instead...as will many others.

Their sales will lag if they think they will have buyers at $35k in the US.
It’s a Hyundai not a bimmer.
I do know how far dealers can/will go off MSRP. I seriously doubt the Kona N will sticker at $35k. I hope it doesn’t because I’ll go straight to the bimmer dealer instead...as will many others.
Hyundai is getting a little cocky aren't they. Something tells me a BMW is in your future. The Golf R is now in the ball park with the $35,000 sticker. Hyundai hardware now costs more.

Hyundai is getting a little cocky aren't they. Something tells me a BMW is in your future. The Golf R is now in the ball park with the $35,000 sticker. Hyundai hardware now costs more.

I would prefer a Kona N honestly. I am a BMW enthusiast since I first started driving in the ‘70’s w a BMW 2002 which was tons of fun to drive.
VW bugs, one which I tricked out w cam, heads, and twin Solex carbs.
Porsche 911 -fantastic car, 914-6, BMW 735i, 740i, 750iL, 745i. All wonderful but expensive to maintain.

I have become a Hyundai fan due to my experience w the 2019 Kona SE AWD we bought our son. It reminds me of a 911 in the way it handles.

I also appreciate the 100,000 mile warranty.

I do have some questions about the suitability of a Kona for my driving needs. I drive 500 to as much as 1000 miles per week almost all highway. I prefer to drive at 80mph with some stretches of 90-95 mph.
I wonder if this has any bad effect on a turbo 4-cylinder engine. I keep my cars for over 200k miles, my BMW 735i I ran to 295,xxx till the tranny failed.

I need to learn about which trim Kona is most suitable for my use. The high speeds is why I am considering the N.

Your thoughts?

The 1.6T Kona will handle 90 mph with ease. The 7-speed DCT too, if you are not autocrossing it. I don't think you need an N to do what you want. You just need a Limited or Ultimate model, put some springs in it and you are done. Unless you want to spend the extra money on the N.

I guess I don't see how a stock Kona SE handles like a 911. I hated the way my stock Kona handled and I have a Limited. It was a nose diving, rear tail lifting horrible braking car. It handled corners only average. Just a change of the springs ($275) to Eibach or Storm lowering springs and you have a completely different car. That's the way the Kona should of came.

The 1.6T Kona will handle 90 mph with ease. The 7-speed DCT too, if you are not autocrossing it. I don't think you need an N to do what you want. You just need a Limited or Ultimate model, put some springs in it and you are done. Unless you want to spend the extra money on the N.

I guess I don't see how a stock Kona SE handles like a 911. I hated the way my stock Kona handled and I have a Limited. It was a nose diving, rear tail lifting horrible braking car. It handled corners only average. Just a change of the springs ($275) to Eibach or Storm lowering springs and you have a completely different car. That's the way the Kona should of came.
Not handles "like" a 911, I said it reminded me. The reason is that I can throw it into a turn at higher speeds and stomp the gas with the car staying on the line. Yes, the tires and suspension have no track characteristics but for a $21k stock street car right off the showroom it is impressive at least on the roads and driving conditions where I live.

Regarding whether the Kona N will have AWD, I noticed on the US website both the Elantra N and the Sonata N do not offer a selection for AWD option. I may be missing it but I have looked. This does not bode well for the Kona N.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
If I was you I would wait for the 2022 Kona N-Line. That will have AWD and Hyundai’s next generation “Smartstream” 1.6L turbo which clocks in at 200hp. This will be the 2nd gen Kona and have some other nice upgrades. It may end up being the only option if we want AWD which is sad to say ..

If I was you I would wait for the 2022 Kona N-Line. That will have AWD and Hyundai’s next generation “Smartstream” 1.6L turbo which clocks in at 200hp. This will be the 2nd gen Kona and have some other nice upgrades. It may end up being the only option if we want AWD which is sad to say ..
Yes. I plan to wait. My driving is daily long highway speeds. I like to maintain 80mph but shockingly I still get passed! I live in Florida and the roads are smooth w good weather except for rainy season.

My big concern is the oil dilution issue w 1.6T. I was hoping for a 2.0T that had addressed this issue.

I’m afraid driving at high rpms for 2-4 hours at a time will in effect wash off the motor oil from piston rings and cylinder walls. With the injectors shooting fuel at this rate. How would it not?

Yes. I plan to wait. My driving is daily long highway speeds. I like to maintain 80mph but shockingly I still get passed! I live in Florida and the roads are smooth w good weather except for rainy season.

My big concern is the oil dilution issue w 1.6T. I was hoping for a 2.0T that had addressed this issue.

I’m afraid driving at high rpms for 2-4 hours at a time will in effect wash off the motor oil from piston rings and cylinder walls. With the injectors shooting fuel at this rate. How would it not?
I would not worry about fuel dilution, I tested regularly and had a 10 test pack from Polaris Labs before my Kona was in the driveway. I had bad fuel dilution and I had no wear. I don't have the fuel raising my oil after switching to a specific oil. But it is a boutique oil and $$$. There was a Honda 1.5T owner on the Bob's The Oil Guy forums and he too does not have any worry about his fuel dilution. If there is no wear you don't have an issue . So so many people worry about it, when after testing you find out you are worrying about nothing. Your in Florida, you can run a 5w-40 oil year round.

I would not worry about fuel dilution, I tested regularly and had a 10 test pack from Polaris Labs before my Kona was in the driveway. I had bad fuel dilution and I had no wear. I don't have the fuel raising my oil after switching to a specific oil. But it is a boutique oil and $$$. There was a Honda 1.5T owner on the Bo's The Oil Guy forums and he too does not have any worry about his fuel dilution. If there is no wear you don't have an issue . So so many people worry about it, when after testing you find out your are worrying about nothing. Your in Florida, you can run a 5w-40 oil year round.
How does long periods at high rpm effect dilution rate?

Given it’s a small displacement 4-cylinder will my driving style reduce longevity of the turbos and engine?

Thank you. I am learning much from this forum.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.