Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hear you there , I def don’t need it . I hope it’s AWD and comes with a DCT and manual option

·
Registered
12 Posts
It'll likely be AWD or at least as an option I believe since all Kona including N-line has an optional AWD.
It's too bad even though I'm craving for Kona N, I know the fact that I won't be driving it on the track (..or would I?)
I've been watching N-line reviews for some times and overall it sounds pretty decent as a daily driver/fun car. Might consider go with N-line when it comes to North America.

·
Super Moderator
279 Posts

Confirmed Front Weel Drive only.
8 Speed DSG with Paddels and LSD!

This lack of AWD makes me sad!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
If it was not a Top Gear article, and written the way it was, stating they thought about it but, did not go with AWD. I believe it . I was thinking about getting one in the future, but if it is 2wd, why bother. AWD in the corners is a game changer. I guess a Golf R is in my future. NOW.

·
Registered
11 Posts
the top gear comparison on the n vs honda accord and Acura was great.. really showed the deficiency's of fwd and the extra weight....

going from a 1.6t to a 2.0t.. may gain 75hp.. not worth the effort..
2.5t with a wet clutch and awd would be interesting

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Kona
84 Posts
These are speculations at best (clickbait). I'll wait for the official word from Hyundai closer to launch.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hyundai shared a teaser of the upcoming KONA N along with some details on what to expect.

New Hyundai KONA N joins growing lineup of high-performance models
  • All-new KONA N is the first SUV in Hyundai’s high-performance N lineup
  • Versatile SUV package equipped with eight-speed N DCT and 2.0 turbo engine for uncompromised driving fun
  • N lineup set to expand with even more models in 2021
SEOUL, Jan, 12, 2021 — Hyundai Motor Company today confirmed that the newest member of its N brand will be the hotly anticipated all-new KONA N—the first SUV in the high-performance lineup.

“As N brand’s first ‘hot SUV’, KONA N will offer plenty of versatility and driving thrills that N-thusiasts have come to expect from the brand. You can take this vehicle anywhere—from road to the track,” said Till Wartenberg, Vice President and Head of N Brand Management and Motorsport Subdivision at Hyundai Motor Company.

The all-new KONA N will be available with an eight-speed wet dual-clutch transmission, known as N DCT. Combined with a 2.0 turbo engine, it is sure to deliver a powerful and nimble driving experience. Also, like any other N models, the all-new KONA N will be equipped with a variety of high-performance driving features, such as launch control and an exciting sound experience.

Hyundai’s high-performance N brand, which started with i30 N, i30 Fastback N and Veloster N, is set to aggressively expand in 2021 with the addition of KONA N, i20 N and Elantra N.

More details will be announced in the coming weeks.

Hyundai KONA N Prototype (2) - Mod.jpg

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
KCB has some early spy shots saying AWD and who ever shot the picture SHOULD have seen some form rear wheel spin to possibly verifier AWD. Not for sure, but with all the other articles, maybe a couple of clicks in the AWD column.

Another AWD comment

And another

Kinda??

And another

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow if this thing comes out without AWD that is a real shame ... and just plain stupid IMO. Fingers crossed Hyundai makes the right call on this

·
Registered
11 Posts
The sonata n is a bust, useless 2.5t wet clutch fwd
If the want to play the game need awd and leak out tuning ability to hp tuners

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
The sonata n is a bust, useless 2.5t wet clutch fwd
If the want to play the game need awd and leak out tuning ability to hp tuners
290 hp with a highly tested and highly tuned "performance" DCT by Albert Biermann. It also has a highly tuned eLSD, are you kidding me? Hyundai went into the wet DCT with performance as it's #2 importance. If you have the 7 speed DCT the regular 1.6T Kona has, that DCT was designed for smooth driving for Grandpa and Grandma with about 1 to 2 days of testing for high performance driving. We don't know if these cars have the ECU passwords cracked yet.

And FYI don't get a tune from Vivid Racing, they don't stand behind their tunes and they blame code throwing and limp mode as your problem, and they don't return phone calls, you are dead to them after paying them $500 for a bad canned tune. I have talked to member who got Screwed by them. He can't even get his OEM tune or tune file back from them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i'm very impressed with the kona dct, given is grandma driven..

do yo know what software/programmers that Vivid uses ?

290 hp with a highly tested and highly tuned "performance" DCT by Albert Biermann. It also has a highly tuned eLSD, are you kidding me? Hyundai went into the wet DCT with performance as it's #2 importance. If you have the 7 speed DCT the regular 1.6T Kona has, that DCT was designed for smooth driving for Grandpa and Grandma with about 1 to 2 days of testing for high performance driving. We don't know if these cars have the ECU passwords cracked yet.

And FYI don't get a tune from Vivid Racing, they don't stand behind their tunes and they blame code throwing and limp mode as your problem, and they don't return phone calls, you are dead to them after paying them $500 for a bad canned tune. I have talked to member who got Screwed by them. He can't even get his OEM tune or tune file back from them.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If it's not AWD, I'm out, especially with that much power and torque. IMO, it's hard enough in the 1.6T to effectively use the existing power and torque, and ours is a FWD.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
If it's not AWD, I'm out, especially with that much power and torque. IMO, it's hard enough in the 1.6T to effectively use the existing power and torque, and ours is a FWD.
It has computer controlled eLSD, so 300hp to the 2 front wheels is very very doable. It is not an issue at all. Your 1 wheel wonder I can see is an issue. It was on my 2009 Honda Fit with 119 hp ha ha. I just think the Kona N 2wd is a fail for me, because I would daily it and in Minnesota winters. Plus, AWD in the corners is a large plus. It helps out in many ways to be pushed and pulled through some corners. It is a game changer in many corners. I would own AWD in the desert. But then again, I have never had a LSD Fwd car in the winter. I can only assume it would be a lot better then 1 wheel wonder that does spin 2 wheels on snow for the most part, but not with the precision of an eLSD.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts