Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm totally new to this forum and the EV world - this is my first Hyundai, EV, and first time leasing. I am looking to see who else has experienced the same issue as me: I signed a lease for a brand new 2021 Kona Electric on June 17th 2021, and just two weeks later (July 3rd) I had to have it towed to the dealership because it would not turn on after being charged up. Got it back 2 days later, only to have to tow it back to the dealership again on July 7th for the exact same issue. It ended up being in the shop for 8 MONTHS because they were waiting for the new battery to be delivered. I never got a full explanation of what the issue was with the battery - something about it being a faulty feature meant to keep it from catching fire?? - and I am wondering why this was never included in any kind of official recall. Apparently my case was the first one my dealership saw and then within a few days of my car initially going in they got a ton more with the same problem. I contacted the Hyundai Finance Mothership when my car initially went in and looked like it would be there for a while to ask about freezing my lease payments for the time being and was told NOPE. I was told I needed to continue to pay the lease payments, they would provide me with a loaner (which was of course a gas engine car so I had to pay for fuel now, too), and then when the repairs were finalized then I could submit for reimbursement for my lease payments. I finally got my car back last week and am going to file for the reimbursement, but I've got this nagging feeling that Hyundai is going to drag me through the mud with this process and try to wiggle out of paying me all the money I put into this lease for almost a year. I've tried to get them to say "we will pay you all your money back" in writing and they haven't, they've shifted me from case manager to case manager, and on the Campaign Reimbursement form I need to fill out on the website it doesn't say anything about lease reimbursement, only repair reimbursement. This is a long winded way of asking, IS ANYONE ELSE IN THIS SAME WIERD SITUATION?? I know there is a class action lawsuit going against Hyundai about the battery systems in the EVs already, but I would like to know if anyone else is looking at having lost nearly a year of their lease due to this shady issue. I had a good experience with the dealership staff themselves but Hyundai overall has been sketchy as ****. Any advice or story swapping is appreciated!

Registered
Hello all, I'm totally new to this forum and the EV world - this is my first Hyundai, EV, and first time leasing. I am looking to see who else has experienced the same issue as me: I signed a lease for a brand new 2021 Kona Electric on June 17th 2021, and just two weeks later (July 3rd) I had to have it towed to the dealership because it would not turn on after being charged up. Got it back 2 days later, only to have to tow it back to the dealership again on July 7th for the exact same issue. It ended up being in the shop for 8 MONTHS because they were waiting for the new battery to be delivered. I never got a full explanation of what the issue was with the battery - something about it being a faulty feature meant to keep it from catching fire?? - and I am wondering why this was never included in any kind of official recall. Apparently my case was the first one my dealership saw and then within a few days of my car initially going in they got a ton more with the same problem. I contacted the Hyundai Finance Mothership when my car initially went in and looked like it would be there for a while to ask about freezing my lease payments for the time being and was told NOPE. I was told I needed to continue to pay the lease payments, they would provide me with a loaner (which was of course a gas engine car so I had to pay for fuel now, too), and then when the repairs were finalized then I could submit for reimbursement for my lease payments. I finally got my car back last week and am going to file for the reimbursement, but I've got this nagging feeling that Hyundai is going to drag me through the mud with this process and try to wiggle out of paying me all the money I put into this lease for almost a year. I've tried to get them to say "we will pay you all your money back" in writing and they haven't, they've shifted me from case manager to case manager, and on the Campaign Reimbursement form I need to fill out on the website it doesn't say anything about lease reimbursement, only repair reimbursement. This is a long winded way of asking, IS ANYONE ELSE IN THIS SAME WIERD SITUATION?? I know there is a class action lawsuit going against Hyundai about the battery systems in the EVs already, but I would like to know if anyone else is looking at having lost nearly a year of their lease due to this shady issue. I had a good experience with the dealership staff themselves but Hyundai overall has been sketchy as ****. Any advice or story swapping is appreciated!
Yeah. Sorry I have the 22, with the new batteries.
#FirstWorldProblems 馃き

Registered
If a rock flipped up and took out the cooling system port to the battery like it did to a Tesla on Youtube. Tesla would not fix it as it is not a warranty issue. Hyundai would not either. If that is the case, your Hyundai Kona battery cost $48,000. Tesla batterys are $28,000, since they only take a couple grand profit. Hyundai gets 100% markup. Great to be an EV owner in that scenario. I wonder if insurance would bay for a new overpriced battery? If that happened early on in ownership, and insurance would not cover it, you would have a paper weight that you will be making payments on for nothing or chose to buy a new battery after another 8 month wait, and have a $ 80,000 POS nightmare.

Hybrids are the answer.

Registered
I purchased a 2021 Kona EV Ultimate (used) June 9, 2022. The manufacture date was June 2021. The car had 9,000 miles. I drove it for 1 week before it died as you explained in your post. Hyundai said it needed a software update. They did the update and I drove it for 5 days until it died again. It has been in the shop awaiting a new battery pack since June 20, 2022. The dealer cannot give me an ETA for the battery pack. I filed a complaint with the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles. I am also filing a lawsuit and hope to make it a class-action suit. Because of the high gas prices and the used car market when I bought the vehicle, I probably overpaid. My purchase price was only a couple thousand dollars less then the MSRP sticker price. I realize I am screwed. Any suggestions from those who may have successfully received a new battery pack or timeline on how long that took. I've also read some posts on this forum from those who have negotiated a Hyundai buyback. How do I do that?

Registered
I have a 2020 Kona ev and faced similar issue on April 30 2022. After charging at a l2 charger the car would not turn on and was throwing some electrical error. Had it towed to the dealership and it took them ~2 months to replace the battery back. Dealership was not offering a loaner but was able to eventually get the dealership to provide me a rental through enterprise(they got me another Kona ev). The Hyundia case manager said other option was for me to front the cost of a loaner and they would reimburse me $70 a day after all the work was completed.

they also told me they will reimburse lease payments for the 2 months the car was at the dealership.

if this was a safety/fire risk, why was I not sent any information to get the car checked out/repaired. Only after I took the car in after it died did they make any repairs.

I鈥檓 reading there are class action suit for this鈥y concern is that now to get the car payment reimbursement I have to sign away Hyundia liability and this is considered 鈥渟ettlement鈥.

鈥淚n consideration of the goodwill offer of nnn. vou release HMA from an liability with respect to anv
claim that MA failed to conform the vehicle to warranty in connection with your concerns and the vehicle's
repair鈥

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I purchased a 2021 Kona EV Ultimate (used) June 9, 2022. The manufacture date was June 2021. The car had 9,000 miles. I drove it for 1 week before it died as you explained in your post. Hyundai said it needed a software update. They did the update and I drove it for 5 days until it died again. It has been in the shop awaiting a new battery pack since June 20, 2022. The dealer cannot give me an ETA for the battery pack. I filed a complaint with the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles. I am also filing a lawsuit and hope to make it a class-action suit. Because of the high gas prices and the used car market when I bought the vehicle, I probably overpaid. My purchase price was only a couple thousand dollars less then the MSRP sticker price. I realize I am screwed. Any suggestions from those who may have successfully received a new battery pack or timeline on how long that took. I've also read some posts on this forum from those who have negotiated a Hyundai buyback. How do I do that?
Hi! Any news on your lawsuits? Any word on when you'll get the car back? It sounds like almost exactly what I dealt with, but my car was in the shop for almost 8 months and now Hyundai is attempting to defraud me of the reimbursement they agreed to pay me when my car went in! I'm about to send an email offering them one more chance to pay me in full what we agreed upon originally or I will contact the NJ Division of Consumer Affairs, our US Representative, and I also plan to be involved in whatever class action suits would fit this situation. I was told multiple times I would be repaid in full for all payments I made while the car was being repaired, and the case agent sent me an offer letter than was 1 month short of the total; when I asked her why, she first tried to say it was because it's only 7 months of payments but I pointed out that her math was incorrect and she then backtracked and told me that because I had made 2 payments in 1 month (to make up for one I forgot to submit on time) that Hyundai would only honor 1 of those payments. She told me that they weren't obligated to repay me anything and that I should essentially be happy with whatever they offered me....that sounds a lot like fraud to me. It's such a small thing, and so little money in the grand scheme of this gigantic company...all I'm asking for is the money I paid in good faith to the company that I put my trust in and waited so patiently for for almost a year and a half.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 2020 Kona ev and faced similar issue on April 30 2022. After charging at a l2 charger the car would not turn on and was throwing some electrical error. Had it towed to the dealership and it took them ~2 months to replace the battery back. Dealership was not offering a loaner but was able to eventually get the dealership to provide me a rental through enterprise(they got me another Kona ev). The Hyundia case manager said other option was for me to front the cost of a loaner and they would reimburse me $70 a day after all the work was completed.

they also told me they will reimburse lease payments for the 2 months the car was at the dealership.

if this was a safety/fire risk, why was I not sent any information to get the car checked out/repaired. Only after I took the car in after it died did they make any repairs.

I鈥檓 reading there are class action suit for this鈥y concern is that now to get the car payment reimbursement I have to sign away Hyundia liability and this is considered 鈥渟ettlement鈥.

鈥淚n consideration of the goodwill offer of nnn. vou release HMA from an liability with respect to anv
claim that MA failed to conform the vehicle to warranty in connection with your concerns and the vehicle's
repair鈥

This is exactly what I'm dealing with! I also was sent the same settlement letter! Did you notice the non-disclosure agreement in there? How sketchy is that? I am attempting to be reimbursed for the 8 lease payments made during the repairs and they're trying to keep 1 of my payments after I was promised the entire amount. I want to get involved in whatever class action lawsuits are going on if they continue to try and defraud me. I really don't want to let this drop.

Registered
This is exactly what I'm dealing with! I also was sent the same settlement letter! Did you notice the non-disclosure agreement in there? How sketchy is that? I am attempting to be reimbursed for the 8 lease payments made during the repairs and they're trying to keep 1 of my payments after I was promised the entire amount. I want to get involved in whatever class action lawsuits are going on if they continue to try and defraud me. I really don't want to let this drop.
I contacted the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles. They sent a letter to Hyundai Motors and to the local Hyundai dealer. TODAY, after 2 months in the shop, I received a call from the dealership saying the battery pack was replaced and the vehicle is repaired. I didn't get the call until late, so I won't get the vehicle until Monday. I don't know if the repair was the result of the lemon law letter or not.
I did not ask for any renumeration. The dealer provided me a loaner vehicle for the time the vehicle was in the shop awaiting the battery pack replacement. I put almost 4,000 miles on the loaner. If the EV is fixed, I am satisfied.

Registered
I contacted the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles. They sent a letter to Hyundai Motors and to the local Hyundai dealer. TODAY, after 2 months in the shop, I received a call from the dealership saying the battery pack was replaced and the vehicle is repaired. I didn't get the call until late, so I won't get the vehicle until Monday. I don't know if the repair was the result of the lemon law letter or not.
I did not ask for any renumeration. The dealer provided me a loaner vehicle for the time the vehicle was in the shop awaiting the battery pack replacement. I put almost 4,000 miles on the loaner. If the EV is fixed, I am satisfied.

Registered
I always say IF the manufacture supplies you with a newer car for the long time you are down, they did their job backing the customer up. Even though you do want your own car with no problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts