Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know i've been absent for a while here, been working crazy overtime while its available.

However, i have contacted a business in Florida that made the fender braces on my Nissan, That i absolutely loved, and they will make a set for the kona, if i supply the templates. That's fine by me, but its going to be a while before i can pull the fenders off again, probably the beginning of next year. These are not like the universal fit braces that sharkracing sells. These are heavy steel plates, cut to shape, with upgraded hardware, and powder-coated. These are not for the faint of heart. Pictures from the set on my Nissan will be posted below as reference.

But i have a few questions for the community, as my parts and mods are not usually available for everyone else for various reasons.

1) Single or Double plate? The ones on my Nissan where double plate, meaning a reinforcing steel plate, welded too the main base plate. This adds stiffness, at the cost of added weight. Single plate design is sufficient for daily driving and minimal racing. Double plate is for racing applications, actual track use, not street racing.

2) Do you need any extra drilled holes for running harness clips for either hoses or electrical add-on's? Sounds like an odd question but i have some additional electrical equipment hidden behind the fenders that i added clips to hold wiring in place. If i make the template too my specs, it may not be useful to someone else.

3) Powder-coated or plain? Powder-coating adds additional build time, but adds a protective coating to the steel, and usually costs a but more, as these braces are not mass produced. Plain would be raw, uncoated steel, which may come with surface rust due to atmosphere exposure, though initially cheaper, you would need to paint/powder-coat them yourself.

·
Super Moderator
1,133 Posts
Good to have you back... working OT to get you some more go-fast parts... Glad you’re on here sharing with the community!!
Those are some nice custom pieces... you don’t usually see things getting powder coated that are going to be hidden.. Nice touch! so you are obviously trying to stiffen up the unibody for tighter more precise control..
How is this area lacking from the factory ? Does it tie into the suspension in any way ? I guess I don’t understand your performance intentions.. Off road driving, or just a sharper reacting street setup..
I haven’t pushed this car enough to know where it’s weak points are.. but from looking underneath at the suspension, I would attack those stamped steel front end suspension pieces and try to eliminate some unsprung weight.. that and the OEM tire wheel combo seem very heavy.. even in normal driving.. I can feel the corners are slow to react..
I find your posts informative and interesting.. Looking forward to your observations and mods as you push the envelope.. 👍🏻

·
Super Moderator
1,133 Posts
I reread your post , slowly this time.. and you’re asking for opinions?

1) you mentioned double plates suited for racing applications only ... so is that what you want ? I doubt many others would go double if it’s not streetable
2) sound Like you need a custom setup, will the shape of it Impede others who need stock ? Are you making several pairs ?
3) I would skip the powercoat for a hidden part, I would steel wool it clean and use a protective paint, save money

?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts