Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was some discussion about the FCA or Automatic Emergency Braking on the another forum. There is a TSB out describing how you should read your owners manual section 5-55 thru 5-66. I noticed there was confusion as to how the system works. It says specifically that you must be traveling over 6 mph and that in some cases with oversized vehicles is won't detect them etc. The sensor is located near the bottom of the front bumper in the center. Make sure it isn't blocked by a license plate or anything else. I've not tried to put a sheet in front and test the unit yet but I presume that it works correctly.

Some owners have taken their Kona's in to have it diagnosed. I will wait and see what the outcome is from their discussions and return from the dealership. So far I don't know if there is a problem but we'll see. Make any comments in direct relationship to the topic of discussion. Please, don't stray off topic. Keep this topic to this subject only and discuss what you have experienced with your FCA. If it strays off topic, I will ask for Admin to close and delete the thread. :wink::grin:

This could be a problem or possibly not but it's worthy of examination and discussion.

Mahalo!:smile:

·
Registered
41 Posts
over the past week 2 cars stopped quickly in front of me and the FCA didn't kick in, I have it set to early. When I brought the car in for my 1K mile maintenance work I mentioned it and the guy said that there is no way to test it and I should just assume it works and hope I never actually need it. Then this afternoon I was driving down the road looking at the beach going about 10, the guy in front of me stopped I didn't notice and the FCA kicked in and stopped me about 3 feet from him. So it works, but I don't know when it should kick in vs when I think it should kick in. Either way, I'm happy it worked today.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you are already reacting to an imminent collision, FCW will not kick in. The system passed the IIHS tests, so it must be working as intended.
fair enough. I guess my only question at this point would be with it set to early, how early should it at least give a warning.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Watch this and you will see how Subaru eyesight reacts which is far superior to the Hyundai system but you get the idea and know it is not a perfect system and you can go from there in determination of the Hyundai system and others that are similar. But for all you are still the driver and you have the majority of control over the vehicle, as again not a perfect system but there to assist you not drive the car or react.

·
Super Moderator
314 Posts
fair enough. I guess my only question at this point would be with it set to early, how early should it at least give a warning.

I set it to EARLY too and tried to trigger it in normal driving but could not. I guess we can test it by putting a tall cardboard box in an empty parking lot. :smile:

I supposed it is trigger by certain closing speed?

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check out these videos and remember, the driver never touches the brake pedal.

So like I said, pick out a proper inflatable target off the road like they show in the videos and keep your foot off the brake entirely. I'll bet you it will work as designed. Those who are saying it's not working, are attempting to test it on other vehicles, boxes and pedestrians, in a real world situation. (It's irresponsible, dangerous and just not good common sense.)

These owners are anticipating the system won't work and are keeping or resting their foot on the brake. As soon as this is sone the FCA is overridden. There isn't a problem with the FCA. It's a few presumptive owners who are expecting it to act they way they want it to. The Kona received a Superior rating for the FCA by the NHTSA and IIHS.

Blessing and Peace

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
267 Posts
I too wondered and tried to activate it, always ended up braking first. Then one time it did kick in slow traffic 20mph ? Also set on early. Would be nice to see the icon and maybe a flash to indicate it is almost activating ! A few times in traffic I swear the brakes are applied quickly, or it is the downshift of transmission feeling like braking ? But no icon light. It is still one step better then nothing for those few moments we might have !

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tend not to rely on autonomous or semi autonomous systems at all. If you keep your distance and aware of your surrounding otherwise; pay attention, you're far better off. Did need them or when I was younger and I'm not going to start now. They have some advantages on open road but in traffic, it's best to just pay attention.:smile: Some people are utilizing them as a substitute for their poor driving habits and constant mistakes behind the wheel. They're no longer relying upon good driving skills and habits but for such systems to cover for their bad habits. Following to closely, speeding, texting while driving and in general, driving distracted. For this reason I'm not a great fan. It's an excuse for someone who might hit you in the rear end and not paying attention to their driving. "Oh I was expecting the system to help me and it didn't."

Several of these systems by different manufactures and their dependency by owners, have already caused accident related deaths. You can't blame it on the vehicle, it's the responsibility of the driver, no less.:plain: The victims families haven't forgotten and I dare say neither has the people who have relied upon them.

Blessings and Peace

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rob check with your dealer service rep and see if they did the 4 April 2018 TSB for your Kona. If you've had it into service lately, they might have done the TSB upgrade to the software. I haven't notice any change but I didn't expect it either.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
155 Posts
We don't have it on our Limited but we do on our Jeep.

It's gone off 3 times.

1. CLEAR freeway 70mph passing under a railroad bridge, brakes slammed on just before the shadow and released on the other side. Took it in and they "adjusted IT" we pass under the bridge a few times a week.

2. A Cayenne exited from the middle lane, the FCA beat me by a couple feet. We might have spun the moron around if it wasn't for the FCA.

3. Another moron decided to get on the entrance ramp at the last second, I beat the FCA by a foot or less.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Rob check with your dealer service rep and see if they did the 4 April 2018 TSB for your Kona. If you've had it into service lately, they might have done the TSB upgrade to the software. I haven't notice any change but I didn't expect it either.

Blessings and Peace
I had my first oil change today, they told me that they don't do software updates unless it shows up in their system. I showed them the TSB and they told me they have no record of that in their system. Either way, they told me they'd look into it and get back to me, I'm not holding my breath though.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmmm that's quite interesting. At least they're going to look into it. Check with another dealer service if you have one around your neck of the woods. Sometimes the service departments have a difficulty accomplishing required updates. If not, call Hyundai Customer Service and start a request thru them. This will be directed back to your dealers service department for attention with emphasis. Dealers don't like Hyundai on their back so to speak. Either way, I hope they get your Kona sorted out.

Blessings and Peace

·
Super Moderator
314 Posts
Something interesting happened while driving in a down pour yesterday. The FCA shut itself down because of blockage of the radar. I supposed enough moisture will block the radar. 15 minutes after the rain lessened, the FCA turned itself back on. I wonder if the same will happen during a snow storm?

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It might if the sensor becomes obscured by road debris, snow accumulation or as you have said a down pour. The FCA shutting down means it's just temporarily on standby. If you are really concerned you can stop and clean the sensor and it will reactivate. This is one of the problems with having a sensor near or at the facia of the Kona. There is a similar problem with the Genesis as it has a Lexan guard covering the sensor area.

Blessings and Peace

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, the FCA works just as it was designed. My wife had an individual come across two lanes of traffic in front of her and it lite up like a Christmas tree and applied the brakes. I actually moved over a lane behind an individual that was turning and I was a little to close and it warned and applied the brakes also.

Not that I have complete confidence in semi-autonomous systems but it works.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine works!

FWD SEL w/tech - purchased 3 months ago
I am very happy to report that mine works. Yesterday I was in the passenger seat as my son was cruising along a 4 lane divided road at 45 MPH. A car in front of us was moving off to the left into a left turn lane. My son felt that the car had sufficiently cleared the travel lane, so he never took his foot off the gas. Well the car disagreed. It beeped, flashed and applied some brake. The car was clear of the lane pretty quickly, so the car stopped all intervention after a few seconds.
I thought it was so cool. It didn't apply any more brake than was needed, so it didn't scare us or throw us around at all.
This is the main feature that I wanted when I bought this vehicle for my son, so I am pretty happy that it works.
I also love the blind spot monitors and rear-cross traffic alerts. I have decided that those are must-haves for my next new vehicle. I have turned off the lane keep assist because I think that works strangely off-highway. I think that the lines in my city are not very good, so that feature works a bit unpredictably for me. Likely it works better on the highway, but I have not tried that.
(I will copy this post into the thread on the other board as well.)

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As stated before, the FCA works just as it was designed. Nothing more nothing less.

Peaches, if the lines in traffic are obscured in some way the LKA will go into a standby mode and alert you of lane crossing but won't attempt to assist you with lane centering. The little green steering wheel in the HUD must be illuminated for the Ultimate. So it's easier to detect then in the SEL w/Tech package. If the line is missing altogether, as in an intersection crossing or exit it will again go into a standby mode and attempt to reacquire a line to follow. Be careful with this situation. Once the line has been reacquired, it will over compensate to center the vehicle in the lane and you'll have to apply some corrective steering at first to compensate.

Other than this we are very happy with the features the Kona has to offer. They work as designed and complement the overall operation of the Kona. Enjoy your Kona ownership.:grin:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Mine has only gone off 3 or 4 times. Most recent time was yesterday. A car was slowing down to turn right in front of me and it went off. Not sure why cause the guy wasn't stopping fast or anything. Doesn't bother me though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts