Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fun times coming to my Kona. I was thinking of pulling the second CAT and the resonator. It is one pipe that has a connector on both ends, so it is a clean pull, so all I need is a straight pipe to replace these two items. I was wondering if anyone has done this and how loud it is?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Fun times coming to my Kona. I was thinking of pulling the second CAT and the resonator. It is one pipe that has a connector on both ends, so it is a clean pull, so all I need is a straight pipe to replace these two items. I was wondering if anyone has done this and how loud it is?
After some research, it looks like the resonator has to stay. Has anyone pulled their second cat?

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have not yet, but thinking about adding a shaman all-flow "cat" in its place.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I ended up going with taking the whole center pipe out, 2nd cat and resonator. I had them add a 2 1/4 inch stainless pipe. It is just a micro louder. Cold start is a bit louder. I rev it a bit in a cold start and you get very light popping, when warmed up that goes away. No drowning. It is a good move for anyone, no one will complain on noise what so ever. I would like to be a couple of decibels louder and I don't like my cars loud. I will drive it a bit and see if I want to alter anything.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I ended up going with taking the whole center pipe out, 2nd cat and resonator. I had them add a 2 1/4 inch stainless pipe. It is just a micro louder. Cold start is a bit louder. I rev it a bit in a cold start and you get very light popping, when warmed up that goes away. No drowning. It is a good move for anyone, no one will complain on noise what so ever. I would like to be a couple of decibels louder and I don't like my cars loud. I will drive it a bit and see if I want to alter anything.

Sounds really good. I've been chasing a note like that. How does performance feel like?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sounds really good. I've been chasing a note like that. How does performance feel like?
Overall not good, my car is in limbo. I pulled my DTE piggyback getting it ready for an ECU tune, I added a lower airbox off a 2019 Veloster R-Spec and still need to fabricate a cold air intake with the R-Spec cold air duct. The Kona ECU sniffed out it is not going through the Kona airbox with it's long cold air intake that loops around the bumper strut. It lost low end torque and seems down 15 hp because of it. I am looking for a used intercooler from another model before I do my ECU tune. I want to get my intercooler before I load the tune. I still have to pull the oem file and send it off for a stage 1 adjustment. So just in a temporary limbo for a couple more weeks, till I get things sorted out.

I also need to adjust the wastegate voltage because it is out of spec and reducing boost. It should be at 3.9 to 4.0 volts, my car is at 5.0 volts, = lower boost. Getting at the wastegate arm/assembly is a TOTAL PITA. It is under the turbo and you have very bad access coming up from the underside of the car on ramps. Too much stuff in the way. Coming from the top is almost impossible. Most other Hyundai/Kia's have this adjustment on top of the turbo so it is very easy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts