Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
2019 Lake Silver Kona Ultimate
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this has been fielded elsewhere on the site, but we had to have the CAT replaced under warranty (painstaking process with first dealership) when the vehicle had only just 10K on the clock. Until then, we never noticed any exhaust issues. Afterwards, when you move the vehicle from a standing start there is quite often a momentary waft of exhaust that gets into the cabin. No HVAC setting seems to alleviate the issue. We've had the Kona in for any number of other fiddly issues (4) and have asked specifically to have the exhaust system looked at to no avail. "everything looks fine and tight" and of course, no one else (save us) can smell the exhaust. 馃槖 We can't convince them to simply "go for a drive" with us. My main concern is that SOMETHING got cracked during the re-re of the CAT. Does anyone else have this exhaust in the cabin issue or do you think I should take this to an actual muffler shop to delve deeper? Don't really want to pay a (likely non-refundable) fortune to discover a possible warranty repaired issue. Thoughts?

Registered
2020 black kona limited
i am very sensitive to voc s, never smelled exhaust in my cabin, if they wont go on a drive with you id try some place else, the dealer should deal with this, if not id contact hyundai and open a case, call hyundaii and tel them what is goingt on and then contact a hyundai dealer and tell them you contacted hyundai,
edit some cars when set to recirculate actually dont fully close and you can smell other exhausts, i had that with a dodge dart rallye, but i have not had that happen on my kona

Registered
Not sure if this has been fielded elsewhere on the site, but we had to have the CAT replaced under warranty (painstaking process with first dealership) when the vehicle had only just 10K on the clock. Until then, we never noticed any exhaust issues. Afterwards, when you move the vehicle from a standing start there is quite often a momentary waft of exhaust that gets into the cabin. No HVAC setting seems to alleviate the issue. We've had the Kona in for any number of other fiddly issues (4) and have asked specifically to have the exhaust system looked at to no avail. "everything looks fine and tight" and of course, no one else (save us) can smell the exhaust. 馃槖 We can't convince them to simply "go for a drive" with us. My main concern is that SOMETHING got cracked during the re-re of the CAT. Does anyone else have this exhaust in the cabin issue or do you think I should take this to an actual muffler shop to delve deeper? Don't really want to pay a (likely non-refundable) fortune to discover a possible warranty repaired issue. Thoughts?
The Kona has two cats, the downpipe and one under the car under the fronts seats or a little before that. Which one?

As for you can't get them to go for a ride on a problem you are having with THEIR newly installed part? Talk to the Service Manager. Going for the drive could also back fire on you too. If they don't smell it, they will then even have more reasons to discount you.

Have they already looked at the car one time after you brought this up and found nothing in their eyes? So this would be the second request you are asking for, so that is not why they are taking you seriously?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The Kona has two cats, the downpipe and one under the car under the fronts seats or a little before that. Which one?

As for you can't get them to go for a ride on a problem you are having with THEIR newly installed part? Talk to the Service Manager. Going for the drive could also back fire on you too. If they don't smell it, they will then even have more reasons to discount you.

Have they already looked at the car one time after you brought this up and found nothing in their eyes? So this would be the second request you are asking for, so that is not why they are taking you seriously?
Mainia 1 Thanx! It was the big CAT up front that was replaced. We had only owned the thing for 3 hours...! Took forever to get them to acknowledge the CAT issue (P0420). (Temp discrepancy measurement shoulda confirmed right away.) Then another wait to get part. When the part arrived, we were told to continue waiting as there had been a change (they said, upgrade (?)) to one of the connecting pipes that needed to be ordered and replaced too. It was after the installation that we noticed the smell and at one time last winter, we had to open a window. It doesn't happen every single time, (outside temp, wind speed, direction etc...) but when you smell it, there's definitely no mistaking it. We had it back and their tech inspected and took it out, but couldn't smell it. "They can't send (pay) their people out to just ride around", " Next time there's a problem, just tell it (the car) you're bringing it in and the problem will go away...ha ha ha". When the BCW Radar box(es) went out, they basically ignored the issue citing, "No hard code. Not able to replicate". That was the last time we went to that dealership. I'm going to take the Kona in for its next oil change soon at the, now, preferred dealership (they solved the Radar boxes and have been great) and I will ask for a "rider" to join along again for a short drive. (Covid 19 makes this a bit touchy...) They did do an initial cursory inspection as well, but these kind of leaks can be hard to pinpoint. We have a MUCH better rapport with this dealership. It's typical tho when you want to show a garage something and then it JUST WON'T do it... My validation will be when I can smoke their people out.
I'm an OLD car hack and know my way around an engine bay. So, I hate when a service manager says "Oh yah, it's just a Grapple grommet not fully meshing with the Filbert flange. :whistle: We'll add a bit of muffler fillangy gear grease to it and it'll be just fine..." :oops:
Not to mention the "automatic emergency overhead console sunglasses deployment drawer", that would drop open like an oxygen mask on a plane, whenever the tailgate was closed or a sun visor was flapped up...LoL (Replaced now too)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am very sensitive to voc s, never smelled exhaust in my cabin, if they wont go on a drive with you id try some place else, the dealer should deal with this, if not id contact hyundai and open a case, call hyundaii and tel them what is goingt on and then contact a hyundai dealer and tell them you contacted hyundai,
edit some cars when set to recirculate actually dont fully close and you can smell other exhausts, i had that with a dodge dart rallye, but i have not had that happen on my kona
Thanx Slickwicked! Yes, I had thought of that as well. Have noticed that wind direction, wind speed and temperature all affect the intensity of the fumes and they're only there momentarily. Once you're moving it dissipates. HVAC setting doesn't seem to affect any change. Hyundai Canada didn't seem very interested after we had talked to them, asking what we wanted THEM to DO. We simply walked away from THAT dealership. Was very tired of being placated and talked down to like a newb. I MAY just go with my initial plan with a shop that I've worked with and take any findings (if/when found) back to the dealer.
As it happens we're out here in a more rural area and this issue can crop up when there's no other car nearby. Sooo...Kinda like breaking wind in an elevator with two passengers...You BOTH know who did it...:cautious: :confused:

Registered
2018 Kona SEL, AWD, Tech Package in Chalk White
Been watching this for a bit....

If there's no audible leaks in the exhaust system, have you checked the tailpipe exit behind the muffler to make sure it's outlet is just below the rear bumper cover horizontal line?
Additionally, has the cabin outflow port (& it's little rubber flappers) been checked in the rear of the car?

Both of these can contribute to CO/exhaust getting back into the cabin when the HVAC system is in the 'recirculate' position, or if a window is cracked open while the vehicle is in motion.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx Kiska! That IS a thought. Not sure if the TP will come into play as it SHOULDN'T have moved much with a stock replacement, but who's to say. I'll hafta crawl around under the back end as well to see if I can find those ports. It would definitely be worth a quick investigation! :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahhh...Coolio! Was wonderin' how far in these would be buried! I was trying to locate just such a diagram! This helps lots! Thanx!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Item #9 is the Pressure Vent for the cabin. There is a Left (97510-17300), and a Right (97510-2F400). Hope this helps!

View attachment 6034 View attachment 6034
Sooo...Put the snows on today (ugh, winter...:rolleyes:) along with some LED lighting upgrades. I guess I can't exactly get to those pressure vents from the exterior (at this time). I gather I'm going to hafta pull a few panels open from inside the rear deck. Meh, when you're retired, you've got a few spare cycles to do this.馃懘 In the meantime. I'm running an experiment with the exhaust pipe tip. I noticed that it doesn't completely "clear" the bumper clip. So I covered the tip cutout in the clip with aluminum duct tape so that the TP will be just beyond the trailing edge of the clip. Just looks like protective heat shielding now. If that helps alleviate the exhaust sneaking in, we'll put an actual extension tip on. ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Watching to see how the 200mph tape fix goes... .
Wasn't too bad today. very windy though, so it may have skewed the results. 200mph...Wow! That's like, a gazillion Kph LoL :LOL: (We used the good aluminum foil) Am still considering an extension tho fer shur...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, after all of the experimentation, i.e. extending the TP etc. we are still no further ahead. A cold windy day still seems to drive a momentary waft of exhaust into the cabin. We've even gone as far as grabbing a Co detector from the house and carrying it on longer drives to see if we can set it off. Unfortunately the weather has warmed a bit again, so when we had the Kona in for the latest oil change we (as usual) could not replicate the issue with the dealership. Still investigating. Sigh...:confused: The next stop, I fear, will be an actual Muffler shop to see if they can "sniff" this out.

Registered
2018 Kona SEL, AWD, Tech Package in Chalk White
Crap. Still getting an exhaust 'smell' on occasion, with no audible exhaust leaks....

Check the EGR valve for a possible perforation of the diaphragm
PCV lines & valve for leaks, cracks, looseness, proper seating

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanx Kiska. I can certainly check the PVC system easy enough. Not sure how the EGR system would've gotten damaged (perforated)...but anything's possible. Hope it won't void warranty to have a look at that. Couldn't determine how to get at those pressure balance flaps w/o taking the entire rear interior apart. Couldn't see any other way to get at'em from inside the wheel tubs. What's making me think that this is still a front end (engine comp.) dealio, is the exhaust entrance is almost always from standing starts. Good points to look at tho.
This is the first car I've owned from new and warranty "no touches" are a pain...:cautious: Still wish we could replicate on demand for the dealer....:rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts