Hyundai Kona Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Well if it's any indication, I had a similar on our 2015 GLA45 AMG and it made a bit over 400whp from Vivid Racing and it really made a heck of a difference along with the intake bell and filter and a few others tweaks. What was really nice, they had a din plug that capped off the VR Piggyback. I simply mounted the unit behind the battery box and capped it off when I took it in for service.

Not that Mercedes had a problem with it, I just didn't want any of the service reps taking it out for a test ride with the tuner intact. They knew it was installed and would be entirely to temping. You could do 4 wheels burnouts with the launch control, which was great. I regularly outran stock Turbo Porsches quite easily. It over rode the top end limiter also. Combined with the Power Pedal it's a great combination.

So I'm quite content with a piggyback. They can be modified to adapt to the particular modifications on the auto also. I've contacted them and see if they've got one in the works for the Kona. They have it available for the Veloster 1.6T so it's not a big jump from there. Plus, it will be about $200.00 less than either P-Tronic and the DTE. The VR Tuner is also blue-toothed equipped.

I keep everyone informed. This is there website; https://www.vividracing.com/tuned-ecu-tuning-box-kit-hyundai-veloster-tgdi-137-186-p-151862272.html

Keep in mind they have a flash tune for the Kona now. It will give you nearly 41 whp increase and 60 Ft lbs torque. The ECU is a Bosch MED17.9.8.

https://www.vividracing.com/tuned-ecu-flash-tune-hyundai-kona-16l-turbo-175hp-p-152430482.html

Blessings and Peace

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Talked to Ben at Vivid Racing. He said, he'd get back to me in a hour with regards to the VR Tuner. Sounds like their is a really good chance to have one available soon. He's checking in on the software now. They already have a harness so it's simply software. Keep you informed.

Blessings and Peace

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Sorry I spoke to Blake. Their tuner is in Germany this week and will be back middle of next week. They have the software and not the hardware at the moment. They are enthusiastic and are pushing forward. I'm going to provide them photos of the accelerator Fly-by-wire plug so they can get the power pedal going. I would imagine it just like the Veloster or other Hyundai's but I will send them photos anyway as confirmation.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
JR Kona and or pnwkona,

Since you guys are pushing forward with the tune and have talked with some tuners, have you asked them if it is possible to keep the low boost "normal" oem mapping and then when you hit "Sport" it goes into the tuners high non-oem boost mapping?

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The VR Tuner is designed around a blue tooth settings, adjustment and software provide for both in the VR Tuner and the DTE.

With DTE’s PowerControl, drivers have the option to choose their own and fully customizable driving program: Sport, Dynamic and Efficiency.

Sport
In Sport mode, the engine’s parameters are modified for maximum performance. The vehicle reacts more directly for a more responsive driving experience.

Dynamic
The Dynamic mode is a great all-rounder and very well balanced for long distances. The vehicle reacts more dynamically for better agility throughout the rpm range.

Efficiency (for PowerControl X only)
The Efficiency mode is focused on improving the engine’s fuel consumption. Savings of up to 15% can be achieved.

There is no difference in boost pressure for normal to sport mode for the OEM ECU.

Blessings and Peace

Reactions: Mainia1

·
Registered
244 Posts
JR Kona and or pnwkona,

Since you guys are pushing forward with the tune and have talked with some tuners, have you asked them if it is possible to keep the low boost "normal" oem mapping and then when you hit "Sport" it goes into the tuners high non-oem boost mapping?

The tune cleans up the bad curve these have as they drop off at 4250 , the tuner found 100s of maps inside the ECU, on my side I am not sure he used the Sport mode during dyno but it would not have the over boost limiter removed and other safety implements. Many do remove the safety parameters but I am not wanting that ,
but I in waiting pattern since I am not wanting a tune without the right bolt on's since no one has taken a serious take with the Kona, most focus on the Veloster etc.

I will send the tuner a message and see if he did get into Sport or not and let you know.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I just can't bring myself to do a flash tune as Hyundai has a flash counter in the ECU, so they would know immediately hooking it up to the SAE unit.

Blessings and Peace

·
Banned
179 Posts
Suspect that the VR tuner and the Sedox listed tuner are the same thing. Both have identical tuner stats, diagrams/graphs. Both also state the Kona 1.6T produces 177hp, which is incorrect if they really are putting the vehicle on a dyno. These seem to be more generic tuners then something like a Lap3 tuned ECU.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Vivid racing only has an ECU remap tune available at the moment. No piggyback or power pedal as of yet.

Sedox has a reprogrammer but no Piggyback either, they offer a remap. Either of these will void your warranty. Sedox has only one retailer in the US also. http://www.dp3-racing.com/ So it would be impractical to consider them.

Blessings and Peace

Reactions: DJkona

·
Registered
2 Posts
Available Tuning

So just for clarity,

The ECU/ OBD2 flash tunes void warranty, but the piggy-back "generic" plug-ins do not?

Sounds like the piggy-back that is out there is somewhat unsafe to run?

I come from the Volkswagen crowd of turbo'd cars so a ecu flash tune was always our go-to. Our new 2019 Kona Limited could use some extra pep and better gas mileage. I'm trying to find the best option that will not:
A. Void Warranty
B. Cause excessive ware on the engine
C. Cause issues in the foreseeable future with ECU maps

Best suggestion with current market options?

Regards,
Mr. Brohnson

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
DTE, Vivid Racing VR Tuner when it comes available, PTronic

https://www.chiptuning.com/us/chiptuning-hyundai.html
https://www.ptronic.com/performance-chip-hyundai-kona-1-6-t-gdi-177.htm
https://www.vividracing.com/
https://www.tuningbox.com/en/petrol-performance-chip-tuning/cars/hyundai/kona/1-6-t-gdi-177.htm

I'll find the other shortly and post it.

Don't flash the ECU it has a flash counter and they'll know as they check every-time you go in for service or warranty work. No re-chipping either.

Under no circumstances, use any generic plug in ODBII chips. Stay away from K5 Tuners also.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
2 Posts
My trip was eventful. Over 100 miles, even through a major city, and at the destination average gas mileage was 42.9. I took a picture to prove it.

I drove 65mph most of the time.

The "generic" chip from chipyourcar.com works very well.

There were also times I thought I had it in sport mode, but it was in normal.

Pretty good upgrade at 209 usd$
How is this Generic Chip still working for you?
I'm interested in getting the best MPG for my car right now. Also, do you think the MPG gauge was off because the chip modifies the air intake rate and fuel rates?

-Mr. Brohnson

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any idea of the 0-60 improvement that these tunes will give you. My purchase of this car is contingent upon being able to get better acceleration out of it. Thanks

·
Registered
535 Posts
Any idea of the 0-60 improvement that these tunes will give you. My purchase of this car is contingent upon being able to get better acceleration out of it. Thanks
Depends, what motor and drive train do you have? 6 secs 0-60 is not bad for the 1.6t fwd model.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I agree with a lot of what you said however you can't make blanket statements like "adding a chip to any car will do nothing for performance" in this instance you are correct, (although this really isn't a chip). A real chip is physically attached to ECU or PCM which is how we tuned EFI vehicles such as the Grand Nationals, 87 - 04 Mustangs, Trucks, Camaros, Corvettes, etc... back in the day. This method is still doable on a few vehicles these days (mostly European and it is VERY difficult and requires unsoldering the chips from the ECU/PCM), however most of them are now done by reflashing the calibration through the OBD port. A dyno is not required to do this, however it is a very useful tool to have and makes it a lot easier...

Also do you have a link to the dyno sheet on this stock Kona that made 193 whp on 93 octane? For it to have made that much power at the wheels it would have to be making 220+ HP at the flywheel...

Attachments

·
Registered
535 Posts

Be wary of their tune. They say there vehicle is stock, but in the pictures they posted, they do have a cone filter, and the hotside resonator delete. There's 15ish hp they claim on as a stock kona. When i brought it up to them, they claim the difference is our 93 octane fuel, is not the same 93 octane fuel in PR. I called BS, and got removed from several fb pages about it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Be wary of their tune. They say there vehicle is stock, but in the pictures they posted, they do have a cone filter, and the hotside resonator delete. There's 15ish hp they claim on as a stock kona. When i brought it up to them, they claim the difference is our 93 octane fuel, is not the same 93 octane fuel in PR. I called BS, and got removed from several fb pages about it.
Thank you

·
Registered
163 Posts
I will also add to what is stated again adding a chip to any car will do nothing for performance, these are not Dyno tested and what JR stated I can guarantee you that this chip tuner did not have a KONA in for R&D all are generic for specified engine but the 1.6 in the Kona has a few differences from the Elantra so this is what slightly set ours apart . Also beware of tunes and chips from out of the Country as they will "not" back their tune and you are left with a 3500 lb paper weight.

Chips only fool the ECU into changing parameters where as a Dyno tune will change everything from shift points to decreasing turbo lag and drop of at 4250 rpms.

Again if you plan on wanting more power you have to Go big or Go home, and a chip will never give you 40 plus hp and never will it give you it to the wheels in order to gain that in real hp you have to add a - Full Intake, DP with high flow cat, get rid of the restrictive muffler.
Simple easy mod without any tune is a Intake adding up to 10 hp.

Dyno's are how real tuners and performance individuals get real whp not chips.

Also FYI the KONA 1.6T stock has 193 whp on 93 octane.
How do you know the 1.6t is 193 stock. When I tell people that, they laugh and call bs

21 - 40 of 66 Posts