1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
28 Posts
I contacted BR bout a month ago and although they have the numbers on their website they cannot tune it at this moment as they haven't been able to hack the code... or something like that was their explanation.

They said they would contact me as soon as they can tune it.

Heard nothing so far...

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a chip from "chipyourcar.com", I spoke with one of the owners and they stated they dyno tuned and tested their program. It isn't a full performance chip as it only adjusts fuel/air map.

Has anyone else tried this? They stated they have sold 150 units so far.

I have not noticed any difference :/

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Anybody experience with PTronic?
Is this plug&(drive)play?
So you can unplug this in +-10min when the car goes for service and they cant see it was there?

Tempting... mmm
Will be taking this route personally along with SYSTEM From Shark Racing Air Intake with a JUN BL Exhaust. Down pipe will come later with mid-pipe when available. Had a piggyback with our GLA45 AMG and it work exceptionally well. Plus you don't have to modify the ECU or take it out and send it to a Tuner. Offers the most power and torque for the money.:wink::grin:

As the Kona is a very popular SuV there will be plenty of Tuners and accessories available as time goes on.

Check out eBay for more custom accessories.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a chip from "chipyourcar.com", I spoke with one of the owners and they stated they dyno tuned and tested their program. It isn't a full performance chip as it only adjusts fuel/air map.

Has anyone else tried this? They stated they have sold 150 units so far.

I have not noticed any difference :/
I don't recommend generic tunes at all. "Chipyourcar" is noting but. However to each his own.:grin:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I will be going on road trip this weekend, if no change is noted, then it is going back.

Has anyone had any actual success with anything yet?

·
Registered
13 Posts
My trip was eventful. Over 100 miles, even through a major city, and at the destination average gas mileage was 42.9. I took a picture to prove it.

I drove 65mph most of the time.

The "generic" chip from chipyourcar.com works very well.

There were also times I thought I had it in sport mode, but it was in normal.

Pretty good upgrade at 209 usd$

Attachments

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'll let you know about the piggyback when the PTronic? is order, received and installed along with the other modification. Should be quite a good boost in power. Going to have to do something about the handling bias though. Too much oversteer at the apex of turn during really spirited driving.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Like the chipyourcar.com version. Have to contact them to see if it can be used in parallel with a scangauge2 ? Love my scangauge2 !

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I would be a bit skeptical about any generic plug in tune. They are not tuned specifically to the car but a number of different applications. Their claims and advertising are far too generic and unexplained. You can't modify the ECU coding thru a plug in chip. They have no specifications of what it actually modifies.

Keep this in mind when considering a purchase. There are many reviews and comparisons. Below is just one such comparison.

https://www.performancechipreviews.com/thunderbolt-performance-chips-from-chipyourcar-com/

Caveat emptor

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
244 Posts
I will also add to what is stated again adding a chip to any car will do nothing for performance, these are not Dyno tested and what JR stated I can guarantee you that this chip tuner did not have a KONA in for R&D all are generic for specified engine but the 1.6 in the Kona has a few differences from the Elantra so this is what slightly set ours apart . Also beware of tunes and chips from out of the Country as they will "not" back their tune and you are left with a 3500 lb paper weight.

Chips only fool the ECU into changing parameters where as a Dyno tune will change everything from shift points to decreasing turbo lag and drop of at 4250 rpms.

Again if you plan on wanting more power you have to Go big or Go home, and a chip will never give you 40 plus hp and never will it give you it to the wheels in order to gain that in real hp you have to add a - Full Intake, DP with high flow cat, get rid of the restrictive muffler.
Simple easy mod without any tune is a Intake adding up to 10 hp.

Dyno's are how real tuners and performance individuals get real whp not chips.

Also FYI the KONA 1.6T stock has 193 whp on 93 octane.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My ideal plan for improving performance entails hoping, praying and watching for Hyundai to release a Kona N right around 2021.
By then I will have fully, real world road tested the model and know if its the one I want to stick with.

Just .02¢

·
Registered
106 Posts
I will also add to what is stated again adding a chip to any car will do nothing for performance, these are not Dyno tested and what JR stated I can guarantee you that this chip tuner did not have a KONA in for R&D all are generic for specified engine but the 1.6 in the Kona has a few differences from the Elantra so this is what slightly set ours apart . Also beware of tunes and chips from out of the Country as they will "not" back their tune and you are left with a 3500 lb paper weight.

Chips only fool the ECU into changing parameters where as a Dyno tune will change everything from shift points to decreasing turbo lag and drop of at 4250 rpms.

Again if you plan on wanting more power you have to Go big or Go home, and a chip will never give you 40 plus hp and never will it give you it to the wheels in order to gain that in real hp you have to add a - Full Intake, DP with high flow cat, get rid of the restrictive muffler.
Simple easy mod without any tune is a Intake adding up to 10 hp.

Dyno's are how real tuners and performance individuals get real whp not chips.

Also FYI the KONA 1.6T stock has 193 whp on 93 octane.
I agree with a lot of what you said however you can't make blanket statements like "adding a chip to any car will do nothing for performance" in this instance you are correct, (although this really isn't a chip). A real chip is physically attached to ECU or PCM which is how we tuned EFI vehicles such as the Grand Nationals, 87 - 04 Mustangs, Trucks, Camaros, Corvettes, etc... back in the day. This method is still doable on a few vehicles these days (mostly European and it is VERY difficult and requires unsoldering the chips from the ECU/PCM), however most of them are now done by reflashing the calibration through the OBD port. A dyno is not required to do this, however it is a very useful tool to have and makes it a lot easier...

Also do you have a link to the dyno sheet on this stock Kona that made 193 whp on 93 octane? For it to have made that much power at the wheels it would have to be making 220+ HP at the flywheel...

·
Registered
718 Posts
I would assume pnwkona has converted the driveline resistance average and stated a + - estimated flywheel BHP figure that most dyno guys do for their customers. I see his figure as totally legit.

·
Registered
106 Posts
WHP = wheel horsepower

If the car made 193 wheel horsepower then even using a conservative (for an AWD vehicle) 15% as driveline loss would mean that the engine is producing 227 HP at the flywheel which is 50 HP more than the car is rated for stock. I would hope if the car is capable of making 50 HP more on premium fuel that Hyundai would advertise it as so and add Premium Fuel Recommended in the owners manual...

If it was a conversion then you can no longer use WHP because it would be quite misleading. You could say estimated flywheel HP etc...

·
Registered
718 Posts
I'll let you know about the piggyback when the PTronic? is order, received and installed along with the other modification. Should be quite a good boost in power. Going to have to do something about the handling bias though. Too much oversteer at the apex of turn during really spirited driving.

So are you still going with the PTronic direction or are you planning to use another vendor? And will their box work on USA models?

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, most likely either the P-Tronic or DTE they're the most expedient and effective way without jeopardizing the warranty. Yes, both are compatible and tuned model specific.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
718 Posts
At my first look, DTE looks like a very impressive setup. If what I read is true, a high attention to detail. Plus, you can't discount their award. At least you know you are dealing with a top tier vendor. I will have to wait and see how other like their tune, I may get the bug too.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts