Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody else have this condition? If you are in traffic, it is annoying and the dealer says put it in sport mode, which did not make much of a difference. Once you step on the gas it is fine, but idling forward in traffic the engine idles real shaky... Are there no factory fixes for this?

·
Super Moderator
473 Posts
You are moving the car forward without stepping on the gas? A DCT tranny?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I got this every once in a while when I had the climate on (switching it on and off made it stop or come back for me)

it was a very weird thing cause I could feel the whole car shaking, to which this day I still have no clue what or why it did that.

Even turning on the rear defroster did it back then.

How often does it happen for you? cause it doesn't happen to me anymore.

I have a 2019 Ultimate

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
Does anybody else have this condition? If you are in traffic, it is annoying and the dealer says put it in sport mode, which did not make much of a difference. Once you step on the gas it is fine, but idling forward in traffic the engine idles real shaky... Are there no factory fixes for this?
mine will do this too sometimes during the summer months with AC on, etc. sport mode allows it to idle higher and does stop the roughness..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Could this be the DCT transmission? Just bought a new ultimate and at times when I come to stop the transmission shakes a bit as the gears are disengaging. Similar to a manual vehicle.

is this normal?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Depending on how low your miles are, pull the the positive battery cable for 15 minutes to clear the adaptive memory in the DCT. Let it relearn YOUR driving habits and not the dealers moving it around in the lot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Depending on how low your miles are, pull the the positive battery cable for 15 minutes to clear the adaptive memory in the DCT. Let it relearn YOUR driving habits and not the dealers moving it around in the lot.
Good tips! 800 km is that too low?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
No, that's what Hyundai will do first. So save a trip.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Long time on any activity on this thread...but here's my experience:

I had the 2.0 MPFI engine and it was butter smooth. It would kick-down on hills and get to about 3k rpm. It did have a different "resonance" in the steering wheel, but never was harsh or sounded bad when it would do that. The point being is that it idled very well and never shook or "rough." I did feel that the engine "moved" a lot when taking off from a start and switching gears (torque converter auto). It never worried me, but it was just the way the car was built.

I now have the 1.6 Turbo. It is summertime here and with the A/C on, it will shake/engine rock every now-and-then at a stoplight. I don't think it has to do anything with the DCT or clutch. I just think that Hyundai make the engine mounts very "soft" so that any harshness or "buzz" from the power plant is never transmitted to the passengers and that creates some idle shaking with a harmonic for a specific idle speed. When I do get the engine rocking or "rough idle" I can put it in "Sport Mode" and it idles just fine (it seems to add about 100 or-so rpm and that makes the engine smooth every time).

Again...I don't have it down to a science where I can duplicate it every time. Turning off the A/C will always make it idle better. I guess the problem is that when it happens, I notice it...but it doesn't bother me. If Hyundai would add 50 rpm to the base idle speed, I think it would solve any customer complaints.

Now...if we are talking about moving forward in traffic, then your experience will be different that every one else's. All I can say is to keep your foot on the brake until you can move one car length forward. If you try to idle your way through traffic, then it can get like a bucking bronco. Just remember that it is a clutch and there is a program that engages the clutch. If you try to let it idle and move up in stop-and-go traffic, it can engage in some ways you may not be used to. Find out what works best for you and then understand how to drive it that way to minimize any rough clutch engagement issues.

Not trying to be mean. Just my observations.

Cheers !!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got a new 2020 Limited 1.6T AWD for my wife end of 2019, last couple months found abnormal very shaky when stop for traffic which is still <6K miles.
1st visit to Hyundai service, they admit shaky , but they did not do anything cause no error found, then sent me home.
Escalated to corp. then 2nd visit arranged to different location for service. They found mis-fired on engine and changed all spark plugs.
However, the car still having abnormal shaky afterward, they explained AC shaky is normal when hot day (we not noticed
AC is the root cause or may be not). For myself, it's not acceptable as a brand new car which shaky like a 20 year old car. I buy a new car to my wife for
avoid to spend time on car service. Now already spend two times at service (hours of waiting) but not fix the problem. Now I am a bit regret to switch
to buy Hyundai car from Japanese main brand. Cont. Escalate to Hyundai Consumer Affair dept. But they refused to repurchase it back or replaced a no issue
car to me at this point. Do not know what should do next.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
First off, it sounds like you going off the handle a bit fast, after the second visit. You need to document the issue in the way your state wants to do a lemon law case. With the air on, what happens of you hit sport mode. Sport mode increases rpm by another 100 rpm most of the time if the AC is on. The next thing you want is to ask for is an advance tech/engineer that Hyundai sends around a district or the USA for unsolved issues. You may have to wait a couple of months, but they do this, don't let them tell you otherwise. Tell them you want a loner car and let their mechanic drive it home for 3-4 days. Too bad it is getting colder, at least in the upper USA.

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
Got a new 2020 Limited 1.6T AWD for my wife end of 2019, last couple months found abnormal very shaky when stop for traffic which is still <6K miles.
1st visit to Hyundai service, they admit shaky , but they did not do anything cause no error found, then sent me home.
Escalated to corp. then 2nd visit arranged to different location for service. They found mis-fired on engine and changed all spark plugs.
However, the car still having abnormal shaky afterward, they explained AC shaky is normal when hot day (we not noticed
AC is the root cause or may be not). For myself, it's not acceptable as a brand new car which shaky like a 20 year old car. I buy a new car to my wife for
avoid to spend time on car service. Now already spend two times at service (hours of waiting) but not fix the problem. Now I am a bit regret to switch
to buy Hyundai car from Japanese main brand. Cont. Escalate to Hyundai Consumer Affair dept. But they refused to repurchase it back or replaced a no issue
car to me at this point. Do not know what should do next.
iF Hyundai doesnt see this as a defect, you’re not going to get it fixed.. New plugs are not the answer..They somehow didn’t compensate for the AC load at idle.. Like said above, using sport mode increases the idle and stops the vibration at low idle.. This condition doesn’t happen all the time with the AC on.. but pushing the sport button will correct the idle.. Not the ideal solution, but it does stop it from shaking.. Hopefully Hyundai fixes it and releases it in a software update.. but It’s not a major issue.. it’s one of those fixes Hyundai would clean up if their were a mandatory update for a safety reason or other sizable problem.. I asked if they has any ECM updates last time I went in for service, was told not As of yet..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts