Hyundai Kona Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2020 black kona limited
143 Posts
ISO industry standard tests are done hundreds of times daily around the world for the the last 10-15 years, and you somehow are a skeptic. You are brilliant Forest. Read the test and quit crying.
why are you arguing with this troglodyte el commander somthing , you cant fix stupid lol

·
Registered
73 Posts
Now back to the OP's question...

With a Turbocharged Engine--no matter what brand, I would strongly suggest using Synthetic Oil. We can argue about Group III and Group IV all day, but get Pennzoil, Castrol, Quaker State, NAPA, Mobil 1, RedLine, Wal Mart... just get a Synthetic Oil that fits your price range and is easily available. Find one you like that has these certifications/specifications:

5w30
API SP (at least SN+)
Dexos Gen2 (not Dexos2...long story. I guess you call it "Dexos 1, Gen 2" is what you need)
ILSAC GF-6

As an example, there is "Castrol Edge 5W-30 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil" that meets all these specs. This is just a suggestion and not an endorsement.

This is my experience... I have a "maintenance contract" with my dealer that he does "routine maintenance" on my car. I get Oil Changes and Tire Rotation out of it and the every 40-something thousand mile spark plug change thing.

Now...I can't ever get a real answer about exactly what oil gets put in my car for one of these "routine maintenance" Oil Changes. For example, the invoice says 5w30 API SN. Doesn't say any more and I can't get anyone at the dealer to commit that it is truly Synthetic. To add more fuel to this fire, the window decal says 5w-20. Now, we can dig into all of Hyundai and how they say what oil to use....but that is about a thousand threads already on this board.

Also...depending on how you drive, I would see about getting an Oil Change every 5k miles. If you drive short trips, maybe think about changing the oil more often (maybe 3.5k miles ???). TGDI engines are great, but you have to let them get hot for a long time to have them "clean" themselves. Again...long stories and lots of threads.

Also, I would strongly suggest using the OEM filter. Why?? Because it gives less "room" for any warranty issues. Besides, the OEM filter can't be horrible. I'm sure you can find ones that "work" better, just get them from a dealer or do some due diligence on purchasing them on-line. If you engine decides to throw a rod, the dealer puts it on the lift and they immediately see a non-OEM filter, your day just got really long with lots of arguments with the warranty services group.

FWIW... I let my dealer change the oil for the pre-paid maintenance contract I have. When I get home, I drain it and put in what I want. I keep the filter the dealer installed. I figure I'm "diluting" my precious "pure" oil, but it takes like 10 minutes and I feel that I'm good to go for another 5k miles. It's sad, but I don't trust that my dealer puts in what I ask for.

tl:dr = I feel that if you use a name-brand synthetic oil with the latest certifications and a genuine Hyundai Filter, you will be just fine.

Cheers

21 - 22 of 22 Posts