Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. So while Hyundai provides complimentary oil/filter changes for the first 3 years, they only follow the normal maintenance schedules. Being that I will need to follow the severe driving schedule, and conduct more frequent maintenance, I plan to supplement by doing my own additional oil changes (as i have always done for all my cars). With that being said:

1. What engine oil and filters do you all recommend? (2022 Kona N-Line 1.6 Turbo)
2. Any ideas what Hyundai typically uses in their service centers?
3. Any thoughts on if i am constantly switching between varying brands of oils/filters? (Between what Hyundai puts in, and what I put in myself).

Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 black kona limited
130 Posts
not to be that guy, but theres tons of threads about all your questions.

fyi for the turbo hyuindai dealer uses 5w20 synthetic blend which is the incorrect oil for our cars.
i gave up on the free oil changes, even if you pay for full synthetic theyll still try to give you 5w20
i just get the oils and filter and have a shop im familiar with change it
also my car only takes 4qts to get full fyi

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I ONLY run Fram Ultra's or Fram Titanium's. It is the top oil filter in Bob's The OIl Guys site. It is the number ONE best performing filter so far tested by an owner of a filter testing firm who did a freebee test for the site. The OEM Hyundao/Kia filter is a swiss cheese filter. You are in the USA so you have US law backing you, you can chose any oil filter that the oil filter manufacture has made for the Kona.

When I bought my new Kona 1.6T I drove home and pulled the OEM filter and installed a Fram Ultra. I also had a 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT that Hyundai had soft piston metallurgy and took out an engine and had a Fram Ultra on it and they tried to use that as a "well we are going to have to Hyundai, I said SORRY....... The Magnusen -Moss Warranty Act states by US law I have the right to run any oil filter I want and KEEP warranty, after I said that I never heard another word and received a new long block.

Scroll down mid page.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yup. The free oil change is a bait and switch. It’s free for Dino oil, but who in their right mind would put non synthetic in a turbo engine if they want the best for the engine?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Oh yea, I forgot oil. There a a couple oil threads on here with good info. I don't go by what Hyundai wants for oil. Back when my Kona came out they wanted a mileage oil spec A5/B5, just a sub standard milage rating as Hyundai is CLUELESS on choosing a good spec oil for their cars. Look at your manual for you newer Kona buyers, I think it is NOW the common Dexos 1 Gen 2 + or soon to be Dexos 1 Gen 3. Good oil for a turbo if you are easy/average on it. If you thrash a burn/tune.....you need a better oil.

I run Redline Performance (Ester based) 5w-30 Euro $13 a Qt. Not the Redline Professional Euro which is just a simple Philips 66/Kendal Group 3 oil, good, but no better then any other simple/cheap synthetic. Just run Mobil 1 5w-30 or Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30.

·
Registered
385 Posts
not to be that guy, but theres tons of threads about all your questions.

fyi for the turbo hyuindai dealer uses 5w20 synthetic blend which is the incorrect oil for our cars.
i gave up on the free oil changes, even if you pay for full synthetic theyll still try to give you 5w20
i just get the oils and filter and have a shop im familiar with change it
also my car only takes 4qts to get full fyi
"my car only takes 4qts to get full"
Ever wonder why it's called a "dip stick" :unsure:

Maybe a guy wearing animal skins in pre historic times was wondering "how deep water in creek" he picked up a stick....and dipped it in the water.
So here we are a few hundred k years later still trusting a stick dipped in the oil 😁 🤪

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
"my car only takes 4qts to get full"
Ever wonder why it's called a "dip stick" :unsure:

Maybe a guy wearing animal skins in pre historic times was wondering "how deep water in creek" he picked up a stick....and dipped it in the water.
So here we are a few hundred k years later still trusting a stick dipped in the oil 😁 🤪

You mean 4 liters. When I was running Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 it came in liter bottles and was full with 4 liters. If you fill with Qts, you need to crack another Qt to make it 4.22 Qts to get full, as our Kona is a world car, speced to liters.

·
Registered
2020 black kona limited
130 Posts
You mean 4 liters. When I was running Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 it came in liter bottles and was full with 4 liters. If you fill with Qts, you need to crack another Qt to make it 4.22 Qts to get full, as our Kona is a world car, speced to liters.
thats my bad i said 4 qts which worked for me but last time i had to add more so your right

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all. So while Hyundai provides complimentary oil/filter changes for the first 3 years, they only follow the normal maintenance schedules. Being that I will need to follow the severe driving schedule, and conduct more frequent maintenance, I plan to supplement by doing my own additional oil changes (as i have always done for all my cars). With that being said:

1. What engine oil and filters do you all recommend? (2022 Kona N-Line 1.6 Turbo)
2. Any ideas what Hyundai typically uses in their service centers?
3. Any thoughts on if i am constantly switching between varying brands of oils/filters? (Between what Hyundai puts in, and what I put in myself).

Thanks!
I just got a new Kona and they pushed the free service crap. Even made the first appointment on my tour of the service center at purchase, LOL. I asked if the air filter or cabin air filter was included. Nope. Oil change following the 7,500 interval and rotate tires ? I change my oil every 6 months. I purchase a OEM oil filter at the dealer & will use Pennzoil Platinum full Synthetic oil 5w20. I'm retired and will only put around 8,000 miles on this KONA a year. """Document everything and save receipts""". I will use OEM filters probably for the entire time I own the car. In this area dealers charge similar to parts stores for filters and include a crush washer for the drain plug. I know changing oil, especially synthetic is way overkill every 6 months. I am also owner of a 2010 Jeep Wrangler that I purchased new. It has the notorious V6 engine where you check the gas and fill it with oil. My old oil from our KIA Sportage and now this KONA will go in it. I think the reason I stick with OEM filters is warranty. I asked the dealer what kind of oil they use and he said bulk ? "Probably cheapest." I will keep the appointment they made, as the yearly state inspection will be due then. I built many engines over my years. Drag raced 2 cars. 68 Plymouth Roadrunner and 73 Dodge Charger. Also raced dirt track for 10 years. One thing most builders agreed on was stay far away from FRAM filters. Maybe they got better since way back then ? I won't use them. We always used Purolator for racing.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I just got a new Kona and they pushed the free service crap. Even made the first appointment on my tour of the service center at purchase, LOL. I asked if the air filter or cabin air filter was included. Nope. Oil change following the 7,500 interval and rotate tires ? I change my oil every 6 months. I purchase a OEM oil filter at the dealer & will use Pennzoil Platinum full Synthetic oil 5w20. I'm retired and will only put around 8,000 miles on this KONA a year. """Document everything and save receipts""". I will use OEM filters probably for the entire time I own the car. In this area dealers charge similar to parts stores for filters and include a crush washer for the drain plug. I know changing oil, especially synthetic is way overkill every 6 months. I am also owner of a 2010 Jeep Wrangler that I purchased new. It has the notorious V6 engine where you check the gas and fill it with oil. My old oil from our KIA Sportage and now this KONA will go in it. I think the reason I stick with OEM filters is warranty. I asked the dealer what kind of oil they use and he said bulk ? "Probably cheapest." I will keep the appointment they made, as the yearly state inspection will be due then. I built many engines over my years. Drag raced 2 cars. 68 Plymouth Roadrunner and 73 Dodge Charger. Also raced dirt track for 10 years. One thing most builders agreed on was stay far away from FRAM filters. Maybe they got better since way back then ? I won't use them. We always used Purolator for racing.

Those builders are clueless. They don't know what they don't know. But they are drag guys, so they think only drag. As far as a street racer or common car the Fram Ultra/Titanium is so far superior to the low end filtering of the OEM Hyundai/Kia filters. They are going by the lowest trier junk Frams. I won't use those either, they clean the oil about the same as OEM Hyundai swiss cheese filters. The Fram Ultra and Fram Titanium are the #1/#2 filter on Bobs the oil guy where you have oil industry engineers and anal geeks that will compile data on filters. Look at my above post and the link to an industry oil filter tester and the Fram Ultra is the #1 filter as far as performance on flow and filtering of the filters tested. You are in the USA you don't have warranty issues with NOT having a OEM oil filter on whern your motor tanks ....I know I had one on and they questioned it but I said I have the legal right to use any mainstream oil filter ( as long as the filter # matches the car for that brand oil filter) I recieved a new long block on a 2013 Elantra GT with a Fram Ultra on it. and I told them when they test my car with the OEM filter that I will be going home and putting a Fram Ultra right back on it. I will not use the sub standard OEM filter as it has horrible filtering because Hyundai thought their engine destrution issue was oil flow, so they compromised filtering for flow. We now have professional testing and Frams old rep stating the Fram Ultras/Titanium flow better then the Hyundai OEM filter.

The ONLY thing the OEM Hyundai filter has going for it is it had a heavy duty thick metal can, in which people seem correlate weight, with quality. Well, they are dead wrong with that assumption. All filters have their haters Purolator has a large group of haters since there have been so many people cutting open Purolator's where the filter ripped apart with a large opening. Fram has that too as all have, Purolator has had a very high amount compared to Fram Ultra/Titanium's. Your car, do what you want. Just stating you don't know what you don't know in this case. I am saying NOW we have proof through professional testing Fram Ultra'/Titanium are #1 performers. I hope you do know the top 2 Fram's have metal endcaps and not the garbage fiber endcaps. Even though statistically those fiber endcaps are almost a zero issue. Honda OEM filters have had those endcaps and built by Fram for years with no filtering issues. Internet/racer folklore with almost nothing to back it up with, but an emotional opinion.Like I said I won't use the cheap one either, I want top level premium on my car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
fwiw.. i picked up hyundai filters at walmart today for $6/ea. yea oil changes are free but time is money and sitting at the dealer not fun

i've had very good results with walmart high mileage (zinc) synthetic. on a similar car (4cyl turbo) i sent the bearing back to king (manufacturer) for review after 145k of mostly street and some track events.. go figure they were still with in spec.. on that car i changed the oil every 3-5k with walmart hm and fram..

lots of people have opinions on oil, and filters. i doubt counting the number of pleats is a real test of filtration.. project farms approach of cooking the oil and bearing test seems more interesting .. i think the best idea is change oil and filter frequently with a major brand, .

·
Super Moderator
1,233 Posts
no such thing as free .. The last time the dealer changed my oil, I checked it and it was just about two quarts overfilled. I ended up dumping it all out and adding 4 quarts. Never trust the dealer, or at least be sure to check what you can when they’re done with it.

fwiw.. i picked up hyundai filters at walmart today for $6/ea. yea oil changes are free but time is money and sitting at the dealer not fun

i've had very good results with walmart high mileage (zinc) synthetic. on a similar car (4cyl turbo) i sent the bearing back to king (manufacturer) for review after 145k of mostly street and some track events.. go figure they were still with in spec.. on that car i changed the oil every 3-5k with walmart hm and fram..

lots of people have opinions on oil, and filters. i doubt counting the number of pleats is a real test of filtration.. project farms approach of cooking the oil and bearing test seems more interesting .. i think the best idea is change oil and filter frequently with a major brand, .

·
Registered
81 Posts
Bob the oil guy is just another forum full of opinions. I laugh at posters who are religious about one brand simply because they read about a test or watched a YouTube video so now they’re convinced and if you don’t use that same product then yours is crap.

There are plenty of quality oils and oil filters for every vehicle out there.

There religious zealots out there thatpreach this oil or that filter have succumbed to the marketing schemes by these brands.

I’ll believe one oil or filter is better than another when you run it exclusively for 100,000 miles then open the engine up and inspect it and compare wear and metallurgic weight loss on each component.

Otherwise is marketing brainwashing.

·
Registered
2020 black kona limited
130 Posts
Bob the oil guy is just another forum full of opinions. I laugh at posters who are religious about one brand simply because they read about a test or watched a YouTube video so now they’re convinced and if you don’t use that same product then yours is crap.

There religious zealots out there thatpreach this oil or that filter have succumbed to the marketing schemes by these brands.

I’ll believe one oil or filter is better than another when you run it exclusively for 100,000 miles then open the engine up and inspect it and compare wear and metallurgic weight loss on each component.

lol poor guy

·
Super Moderator
1,233 Posts

There there’s a lot of good information on that site, Bob the oil guy. There are also a lot of opinions and preferences. You just have to read between the lines. The age of direct injection gasoline engines has caused several problems and some of the solutions are the correct oil with the proper additives and certifications. Not all oils on the market address these issues. Some oils are more advanced and would be beneficial to these direct injection engines. Then there’s the street use vs modified for track, racing or extreme use. Then oils with a higher quality base stock then what you typically buy is needed.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts

So you discount the whole site because you are "antithetical" about science? I posted tests on filters done by a known oil filter testing firm who does third party testing for filter manufactures and car manufactures. This company follows all ISO testing protocols, and follows all protocols to show no bias in testing. There was a clear winner in this testing as I posted. On Bob's site, we have had years of professional opinions of oil/filter/blending/research professionals and semi-professional Yes, many opinions too of non professionals that are more emotional based. I am far from brained washed, and it seems I don't follow ANY of Hyundai's "marketing", nor others.

Hyundai has stated the filtering specs of their filter and it is nothing special at all. In fact, if I remember right it is low on the filtering scale. In that link I posted there are at least 3 people in the oil/car filter business and 2 that are top tier semi-pros, that are darn right impressive with their knowledge on filters. On this test, the Fram Ultra/Titanium won almost every spectrum of testing hands down. So, AGAIN, you did not do as I ask, before when you tried to pick a fight, and say I can't be trusted with what I say or my opinions. You said I am not a trusted source. But I said if you are worried about trusted sources, YOU MUST disconnect "yourself" from your cerebrum as it definitely is not a trusted source, as we can clearly see.

You do not need to test a car for 100,000 miles to get correct filtering data. You can get correct filtering data through scientific testing in many times as short as 10 mins to a half hour while following ISO industry standard testing protocols. Maybe you just keep getting attracted to the the "charlatans" of Bob's site for a reason, I always seem to find the industry posters with a wealth of accurate to mostly accurate information.

·
Registered
81 Posts
No. Not the whole site. Where did you read that.
You really ought to chill. Your religious fanaticism is sophomoric.
You are not the sole and final authority matey.
Chillax.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
"Your religious fanaticism is sophomoric"

"You are not the sole and final authority matey"

So I post a professional scientific filter test done by a oil filter testing firm, with an outcome of a filter that exceeds it competition by a large margin. I post a link so all can see the test. Some of the lengthy test is on Youtube.

You come out and cry like a baby. I really must be in your head, aren't I ?

We went through this before and you looked like an idiot then. And you come back for more, with nothing but butt hurt BS. Maybe the " Knitting Forum " is more your speed. Quit while you have some form of honor. Are you off your Lithium by chance?

·
Registered
81 Posts
"Your religious fanaticism is sophomoric"

"You are not the sole and final authority matey"

So I post a professional scientific filter test done by a oil filter testing firm, with an outcome of a filter that exceeds it competition by a large margin. I post a link so all can see the test. Some of the lengthy test is on Youtube.

You come out and cry like a baby. I really must be in your head, aren't I ?

We went through this before and you looked like an idiot then. And you come back for more, with nothing but butt hurt BS. Maybe the " Knitting Forum " is more your speed. Quit while you have some form of honor. Are you off your Lithium by chance?

You see. You exceed your intellectual capacity to articulate your perspective so you resort to insults (idiot).

Ok Einstein. One test on one forum makes it so. Happy?

Moron.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
You see. You exceed your intellectual capacity to articulate your perspective so you resort to insults (idiot).

Ok Einstein. One test on one forum makes it so. Happy?

Moron.

ISO industry standard tests are done hundreds of times daily around the world for the the last 10-15 years, and you somehow are a skeptic. You are brilliant Forest. Read the test and quit crying.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts