Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the manual...unsure of this feature...is this just for winter? I turned it on..saw a white symbol at dash. Then this symbol turned green while driving..then white again...I am confused with this feature...have the 2.0 sel awd

·
Registered
244 Posts
Which button did you press the one by your left knee driver side with the car and wavy lines or the one by the shifter that say diff lock?

·
Registered
244 Posts
That is the traction control used to detect wheel slippage and also control the breaking to each wheel and and reduces the throttle so one can gain control. Unsure on this vehicle even when one turns it off it will turn itself back on for safety reasons so either way it will always be on unless you disable it through the fuse. So not a winter and all cars since the 2000's have had this feature so it is not new just updated over the years to be more efficient and safer.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I turned it off in rainy weather and tried to get the wheels to cut loose in a parking lot. Low speed, very sharp maneuvers, and I couldn't get it to slip (Limited AWD). Will have to do further testing when I can get it up to faster speeds in a completely safe space. Usually one would only turn this off to have some fun - pushing the throttle to keep the wheels spinning while sliding around... Unsure of how this affects the AWD power delivery split and brake drag for 'torque vectoring'. Probably not positively.

Ideally you could still get brake torque vectoring and logical AWD power delivery with it turned off. Would make for a pretty fun drive on loose ground and snow. I doubt it'll work like that though...

·
Registered
244 Posts
AS far as turning it off and this comes from the Subaru side, even if turned off this will engage automatically as it is a built in safety feature. Another point and unsure on this vehicle but with and since Subaru are full time AWD on that turning off the VDC or traction control in order to put more power the wheels instead of letting the ecu to throttle and brake each wheel giving you more control and what allows them to be able to have fun drifting in snow. Though it will turn back on and has been noted and on the new models also to turn it off when in deep snow in order to power your way out.

Doing this in rain I doubt will have a wheel or wheels break loose from a dead stop, also the Kona is a 100% front wheel drive or until the detection of a slippage then power goes to the rear wheels or locking the center diff but from what the manual states not to drive in this mode but only low speeds not high since and unsure why it will cause damage. Toyota has the similar lock but will turn off over 25 mph.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yes all the safety features are a learning curve. The traction control symbol is shown only when shut off ! The lane indicator you see white, turns green when activated above 40 mph. And the blind spot mirror indicators kick in above 30 mph ? or 40 mph, cannot remember exactly but above 25 mph for sure. Just read it 48 hrs ago too, lol. Blind spot only gives audio sound when you turn on directional and it detects a vehicle. Can be modified in settings. Hope this helps.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) is on as soon as you start moving, sensors are in the rear bumper. Lane keeping Assistance (LKA) is on as soon as you move forward as long as you have it set correctly. There are three setting for the LKA.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
268 Posts
Update details, Blind spot, BSM in reverse is below 6 mph, forward above 20 mph. Forward collision FCA starts above 6 mph. Lane assist LKA above 40 MPH. Cruise control starts 20 mph. Added notes: spare donut tire is 60 psi. If a small dc 12 vdc air compressor is used, it must be plugged into the "left dc plug viewed from drivers seat, or right side as book relates from outside view perspective. This was confusing to read and digest on power outlet.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
That BCW is on when you put the car in reverse and the (RCCW) in on as soon as it put in reverse. Driver Attention Warning (DAW) actuates depending upon the sensitivity it set at. I'm not exactly sure at what point it does but it has work before and I've heard the activation.

It depends where you are in the world actually. The US warranty manual as suggest above, states 20 mph and the NZ and Aussie models which are equipped, are at 18.6 mph or 30 km/h. So there are some small differences.

I have found out thru monitoring the systems, especially the LKA set on the highest sensitivity, will actually disengage in heavy traffic but will remain in a monitoring mode and alert you with a white flashing line and audibly. The green steering wheel will disappear and the white lines will remain active and the alert will sound. Once you are under the speed of 6 mph both white indicator lines will change from bright white to a lesser white indicating the system is on stand-by but monitoring.

One thing to note is; if you are driving on a road with no painted side line, or the line breaks for a turn off lane or cross streets, it will detect these open areas and attempt to find them thru the driver assisted steering. A little disconcerting at first but be aware. Once it finds the line, it will attempt to correct thru the steering if you are partially out of the lane. Just pay attention. I've actually had it attempt to abruptly steer to the center line and then correct. It's not a fool proof system. In the ultimate Trim, there is also a High Beam Assist which will actually dim the LED high beams and during turns temporarily shut off the fog lamps automatically to on coming traffic. There is also rear parking distance warning which can be shut off manually by the operator.

All these warning and cautions in the Ultimate trim are seen thru the heads up display, thru the dash information screen, and audibly or all three. Those without, I'm not aware how it's monitored, possibly thru the dash information screen and audibly I might imagine.

These system are designed to overlap and function in unison of one another.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts