Hyundai Kona Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Interesting question. You might also look at the Tesla Model 3 and the Ioniq. The Model 3 is accounting for 70% of EV sales in Australia at the moment and is about the same size internally as a Kona. And the Ioniq is a direct competitor with the Leaf in size & price.

I originally intended to buy a Leaf, but after my research 2 things put me off.

First is the air cooled battery. Despite Nissan’s assurance they have fixed their battery degradation problems, I remain sceptical. The Kona & Tesla 3 both have very good liquid cooled batteries.

Second reason is more practical. I’m 193 cm & my wife is 170. But the Leaf does not have a telescopic steering wheel. It only adjusts up & down. This means we are both a bit uncomfortable in the Drivers seat. Not big problem for short drives but terrible for longer distances.

Both these things point to what reviewers have commented on. The new Leaf is a really the old (2014) one with few tweaks.

The final straw was when Nissan decided not to market the long range Leaf e-plus in Australia, at least for the time being. So didn’t suit our lifestyle where we now share a single car between us.

After all my research I ordered an Ioniq but supply problems pushed me into the Kona. While I miss the extra room of the Ioniq I’m happy with the range & performance of the Kona.
Thanks. Tesla 3 a little bit pricy for me, plus we transport two pet greyhouds (big fur babies) around quite often so a hatch/suv style boot area (with parcel shelf thingy removed) is more practical. Haven't tried the Ioniq yet - will think about that option.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks. Tesla 3 a little bit pricy for me, plus we transport two pet greyhouds (big fur babies) around quite often so a hatch/suv style boot area (with parcel shelf thingy removed) is more practical. Haven't tried the Ioniq yet - will think about that option.
Hi, the main thing is you get in an electric car :).
Agree there is some 'thumping' when some windows are down, just the shape of the car I guess. You should test with 2 dogs poking their heads out the window, might break it up to quieten it. I haven't driven the Leaf but share the same concerns as TRT on thermal management. If the Leaf's range suits, then I 'm sure its a good car, they have lots of experience in this area so you'd hope it would be reliable. I love my kona but its early days so not sure how it will all pan out.
Good luck and well done on going electric mate.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Agree there is some 'thumping' when some windows are down, just the shape of the car I guess. You should test with 2 dogs poking their heads out the window, might break it up to quieten it. I haven't driven the Leaf but share the same concerns as TRT on thermal management. If the Leaf's range suits, then I 'm sure its a good car, they have lots of experience in this area so you'd hope it would be reliable. I love my kona but its early days so not sure how it will all pan out.
Thanks. I think the Leaf as a second family car (considering range) would be perfect! But as it’s our only car and we do do a little longer road trips once a year or so, the range is a concern.
Has anyone confirmed that the Kona EV in Australia is water cooled? From what I've read its not that way in all countries?

·
Registered
32 Posts
These forums are great by the way. Good to hear from actual users - the good and the bad, and how to work around some of the vehicles limitations. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
By the way, I've seen a couple of Kona EVs driving around the Central Coast (NSW) which is great! Easy to spot with the front grille thingy :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks. I think the Leaf as a second family car (considering range) would be perfect! But as it’s our only car and we do do a little longer road trips once a year or so, the range is a concern.

Has anyone confirmed that the Kona EV in Australia is water cooled? From what I've read its not that way in all countries?
Kona BTMS details. Uses coolant (Glycol-based I think) not water; through 3 coolant loops.

And something on Leaf battery dealing mainly with e-plus, but applicable to basic model as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi TRT, its the Kona EV Elite, based in Adelaide South Aust.
Apparently there are another 15 of us in SA somewhere. Looking forward to spotting another on the road so I can give them a 'thumbs up'.
Just got our Kona elite. We are also in Adelaide. I'm yet to spot another Kona EV.

·
Registered
32 Posts
FYI I’ve had verbal confirmation that Australian Kona Electrics are liquid cooled. Not sure about heating, but for my planned driving areas that should not be required (I tend to stay in warmer areas ?).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Also FYI, Thule have a roof rack kit which fits the Kona roof rails. So I will be able to migrate my tandem bike roof rack onto the Kona (after buying the adapter) ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
So there are models (Launch, Elite & Highlander), year indicators (MY19), and versions?
I assume the model and year effectively specify the hardware, and the version specifies the software?
If so, where can one find whats in what version?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I would suggest avoiding the two lower models that don't have LED headlights unless you don't often drive at night.
I think that is a little simplistic when choosing a model that suits.
You can upgrade the Elite bulbs with better halogen or led if you need to, for $200-300. That is a lot less than the highlander V elite price difference. The lights still work ok by the way, agree they are not great though.
Electric seats, sunroof, heads up display etc, not that important to me, the extra $$ was.
I would avoid the Launch however, sound system and display screen not as good as the other two models. They were the things that mattered to me.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks for your replies.
So what is the significance of the series (eg, OS.3) vs model year?
OS refers to the generation of the vehicle; and the number refers to series within that generation. So OS.3 means it is third series of the OS generation. But how that equates to MY I have no clue. Maybe others can help?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi folks. Finally got my Kona EV 😬
Was wondering if anyone has managed to find a rear bumper protector to minimise damage to the bumper sill from loading and unloading?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts