Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've just picked up my electric Kona and I was wondering if there are many others owners around.
Would be happy to discuss any issues, tricks, tips etc that other owners have found.
The 'auto regen' setting has been the first thing I have discovered and love. I do very little braking now and hardly ever have to use the regen paddles to get the most out of the regen system.
Now if I can just turn down the 'speed camera/school zone' voice a little, I could relax. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I run mine in ECO mode all the time, and the regen braking is just right (no need to use the paddles). Still have full power available if you floor it, but the more gradual throttle response helps with smoother one pedal driving. And brake lights come on with two or more regen bars, so don't worry about cars behind you. Enjoy your new car, lots to learn,... and all good stuff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all, I've just picked up my electric Kona and I was wondering if there are many others owners around.
Would be happy to discuss any issues, tricks, tips etc that other owners have found.
The 'auto regen' setting has been the first thing I have discovered and love. I do very little braking now and hardly ever have to use the regen paddles to get the most out of the regen system.
Now if I can just turn down the 'speed camera/school zone' voice a little, I could relax. :)
There is a forum on this Kona Forum for Kona Electric users from around the world. A small but growing number! I'm not sure what your experience has been, but I go zero help from the Hyundai dealer I bought the car from. They knew very very little about the car being the basics listed in the brochures they were giving out. I've been using these online forums to learn more about what the car can and can't do, range expectations, etc. but still a LOT to learn. Love the driving experience, coming from a Prius and a Rav4 the Kona is more fun to drive with great acceleration and MUCH less noise.

·
Registered
MY20 Hyundai Kona Highlander
186 Posts
Congrats on the purchase, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. What country & model are you driving? The specs are quite different around the world and the nav system volume control will vary according to the head unit installed.

In relation to tips, one thing I found useful: in Aus you can find build details on the passenger door frame including, importantly, the paint colour codes if you need to fix paint scratches.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi TRT, its the Kona EV Elite, based in Adelaide South Aust.
Apparently there are another 15 of us in SA somewhere. Looking forward to spotting another on the road so I can give them a 'thumbs up'.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I run mine in ECO mode all the time, and the regen braking is just right (no need to use the paddles). Still have full power available if you floor it, but the more gradual throttle response helps with smoother one pedal driving. And brake lights come on with two or more regen bars, so don't worry about cars behind you. Enjoy your new car, lots to learn,... and all good stuff.
Hi RP, I noticed you asked this on another thread somewhere , can you unplug the charging cable from the EV before its finished charging?
Have you had an answer on that yet? I would assume its ok to do so when using a 7kw home charger but would like confirmation from some one that it wont cause any issues. I too cant find a way to 'stop charging' using the Kona so unplugging it seems the only option available.
Thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi RP, I noticed you asked this on another thread somewhere , can you unplug the charging cable from the EV before its finished charging?
Have you had an answer on that yet? I would assume its ok to do so when using a 7kw home charger but would like confirmation from some one that it wont cause any issues. I too cant find a way to 'stop charging' using the Kona so unplugging it seems the only option available.
Thanks
Yeah, that must have been an old post. I learned a lot since then.

Just unlock the car, either at the car door or by FOB, and then it is ready to unplug. Next, press the side lock button on the EVSE plug at the car, hold for a few seconds until the surround green light turns white, and then pull out the plug. Same procedure as when charging at a charging station.

However, never, never pull out the EVSE at the power wall end before the charging is stopped at the car end. That could cause an arc, and not be good for your connectors.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, that must have been an old post. I learned a lot since then.

Just unlock the car, either at the car door or by FOB, and then it is ready to unplug. Next, press the side lock button on the EVSE plug at the car, hold for a few seconds until the surround green light turns white, and then pull out the plug. Same procedure as when charging at a charging station.

However, never, never pull out the EVSE at the power wall end before the charging is stopped at the car end. That could cause an arc, and not be good for your connectors.
Thanks, not sure what the 'side lock button' is but will check it out later today.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks, not sure what the 'side lock button' is but will check it out later today.
Sorry, might be at the top. This is the lock hook at the car end of the EVSE plug. I actually never charge at home, just at the charging stations (free). But I do know should wait for the ring to turn from green to white before pulling out the plug at the car end.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, might be at the top. This is the lock hook at the car end of the EVSE plug. I actually never charge at home, just at the charging stations (free). But I do know should wait for the ring to turn from green to white before pulling out the plug at the car end.
ok thanks, I get what you mean, I'll see if my home cable has that type of button.

·
Registered
186 Posts
ok thanks, I get what you mean, I'll see if my home cable has that type of button.
My cable doesn’t have any release button. Took me a while to realise that when you use the unlock button on the door (or unlock button on the key fob) it will stop car charging and allow you to unplug the charger cable from the car for 30 seconds. After 30 seconds the cable plug will relock into the charger socket, and it is impossible to remove. At least not within damaging the car/plug. This relocking of cable after 30 seconds will occur even if you leave the car doors unlocked. That is, the charger lock is independent of the door locks, even though the same button unlocks both doors and charger.

If you can’t unplug the cable from the car within 30 seconds, you just need to unlock it again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My cable doesn’t have any release button. Took me a while to realise that when you use the unlock button on the door (or unlock button on the key fob) it will stop car charging and allow you to unplug the charger cable from the car for 30 seconds. After 30 seconds the cable plug will relock into the charger socket, and it is impossible to remove. At least not within damaging the car/plug. This relocking of cable after 30 seconds will occur even if you leave the car doors unlocked. That is, the charger lock is independent of the door locks, even though the same function unlocks both doors and charger.

If you can’t unplug the cable from the car within 30 seconds, you just need to unlock it again.
Thanks TRT, good to know.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks TRT, good to know.
While I haven’t used it I know there is a way to set the charger so it will automatically unlock, and stay unlocked, when car finishes charging.

I’m in 2 minds about this. On the one hand, if you’re not staying at charger while it is in use, it allows others to unplug your car at a public charger so your car doesn’t hog the charger & prevent others from using it. On the other hand, I’m worried about people vandalising my plug/car.

Unfortunately the Hyundai Auto Link app doesn’t show charge status until you drive the car, so you can’t remotely monitor the charging.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
While I haven’t used it I know there is a way to set the charger so it will automatically unlock, and stay unlocked, when car finishes charging.

I’m in 2 minds about this. On the one hand, if you’re not staying at charger while it is in use, it allows others to unplug your car at a public charger so your car doesn’t hog the charger & prevent others from using it. On the other hand, I’m worried about people vandalising my plug/car.

Unfortunately the Hyundai Auto Link app doesn’t show charge status until you drive the car, so you can’t remotely monitor the charging.
The car defaults to that setting. It should be an easy decision but Yes its a shame we have to allow for the less pleasant people in the world. I think I'd rather the plug came out easy because it was unlocked after charging, rather than some idiot pulling on a locked cable.
:confused:

·
Registered
186 Posts
My cable doesn’t have any release button. Took me a while to realise that when you use the unlock button on the door (or unlock button on the key fob) it will stop car charging and allow you to unplug the charger cable from the car for 30 seconds. After 30 seconds the cable plug will relock into the charger socket, and it is impossible to remove. At least not within damaging the car/plug. This relocking of cable after 30 seconds will occur even if you leave the car doors unlocked. That is, the charger lock is independent of the door locks, even though the same button unlocks both doors and charger.

Whoops, should have double checked this. Unlocking car will cease charging & release plug for just 15 seconds (not 30). I seem to need to press the unlock button more than once to plug-in/unplug the cable. But then again I’m old & slow ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
...However, never, never pull out the EVSE at the power wall end before the charging is stopped at the car end. That could cause an arc, and not be good for your connectors.
RP, This is not an issue. No arc will occur. The design of the plug provides for the shorter control pins to break contact (dropping out the power control relay) before the longer power pins can break contact. A safety trick the EV industry borrowed from the mining industry.

·
Registered
128 Posts
RP, This is not an issue. No arc will occur. The design of the plug provides for the shorter control pins to break contact (dropping out the power control relay) before the longer power pins can break contact. A safety trick the EV industry borrowed from the mining industry.
I am talking about the wall end plug of the EVSE, not on the car side. No arcing at the car side as you are not pulling that plug. And yes, charging is stopped there, before the high power contacts are separated. But if you are pulling your main wall plug (14-50) without stopping charging, that could cause arcing as the blades are pulled out since charging is not stopped before.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am talking about the wall end plug of the EVSE, not on the car side. No arcing at the car side as you are not pulling that plug. And yes, charging is stopped there, before the high power contacts are separated. But if you are pulling your main wall plug (14-50) without stopping charging, that could cause arcing as the blades are pulled out since charging is not stopped before.
Yep. Thanks for the clarification. I did read that a bit fast. On my old leafs (2011-2015) you could pull the J1772 plug from the car while it was charging (no lock existed) and the shorter control pins separating first would prevent the arcing there. You are right on the receptacle end. Fairly minor if done on rare occasions but not a great idea of course to utilize as a standard practice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi. I'm considering buying a Kona EV and have test driven one, and also test driven a Nissan Leaf. Not sure why, but I felt "better connected" to the Leaf through the steering wheel - the Kona felt a bit more disconnected or something. Also the wind noise in the Kona with one or two windows down (my preference except for when on the freeway/motorway) was quite "distracting". Not sure if anyone else has felt these issues, or is it just me?
The test drive was only for an hour or so in both cases.
Of course the range of the Kona EV is much better than the Leaf, so for driving in Australia it's probably the logical choice.
Also the lack of a spare wheel-tyre isn't something I'm comfortable with, so I might have to get a spare wheel and jack.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi. I'm considering buying a Kona EV and have test driven one, and also test driven a Nissan Leaf. Not sure why, but I felt "better connected" to the Leaf through the steering wheel - the Kona felt a bit more disconnected or something. Also the wind noise in the Kona with one or two windows down (my preference except for when on the freeway/motorway) was quite "distracting". Not sure if anyone else has felt these issues, or is it just me?
The test drive was only for an hour or so in both cases.
Of course the range of the Kona EV is much better than the Leaf, so for driving in Australia it's probably the logical choice.
Also the lack of a spare wheel-tyre isn't something I'm comfortable with, so I might have to get a spare wheel and jack.
Interesting question. You might also look at the Tesla Model 3 and the Ioniq. The Model 3 is accounting for 70% of EV sales in Australia at the moment and is about the same size internally as a Kona. And the Ioniq is a direct competitor with the Leaf in size & price.

I originally intended to buy a Leaf, but after my research 2 things put me off.

First is the air cooled battery. Despite Nissan’s assurance they have fixed their battery degradation problems, I remain sceptical. The Kona & Tesla 3 both have very good liquid cooled batteries.

Second reason is more practical. I’m 193 cm & my wife is 170. But the Leaf does not have a telescopic steering wheel. It only adjusts up & down. This means we are both a bit uncomfortable in the Drivers seat. Not big problem for short drives but terrible for longer distances.

Both these things point to what reviewers have commented on. The new Leaf is a really the old (2014) one with few tweaks.

The final straw was when Nissan decided not to market the long range Leaf e-plus in Australia, at least for the time being. So didn’t suit our lifestyle where we now share a single car between us.

After all my research I ordered an Ioniq but supply problems pushed me into the Kona. While I miss the extra room of the Ioniq I’m happy with the range & performance of the Kona.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts