Hyundai Kona Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
What i find interesting the most, is how restricted the stock engine seems to be. If we know stock hp at the crank is 175hp, that's approx 141hp to the wheels. So with bearly any bolt-ons, to do 184hp to the wheels, how does an intake produce 43 hp? The hotside resonator delete, and the port and polish of the TB, should really only effect efficiency. Plus my recirculation valve is venting to atmosphere, not into the intake.

So i wonder if the rating we are following is incorrect. Maybe the Kona produces approx 175hp to the wheels. not the crank, which would put the gain from the intake mods at about 9hp, which is inline with the Injen Intake rating.

You did not get an OEM virgin starting point, that wouls of been nice. I assume you have seen this video? You do not have a downpipe I can assume. This video may help you figure stuff out.

What is the Kona's TB mm and what did you go to? Did you delete the coolant? Did you have to port the intake manifold to get a straight shot and no ridge? Just remember Hyundai will use "witness marks" against you in key areas, if you get ideas after seeing this video.

·
Super Moderator
1,141 Posts
Your numbers were excellent and as you said, don't match up to the mods, unless you unleashed a huge bottleneck someplace. So maybe safe to assume stock must be putting down more than rated perhaps. There are times when this engine really seems more powerful than its stock numbers. I did a rolling start from a slow roll today on a level road, Was fully engaged in 1st and floored it, The front end raised way up and took off hard, hitting 2nd hard and just kept pulling till I let off.. The cool air helps too.. Under the right conditions, maybe Hyundai allows for more boost or timing to get peak power.
I wonder how much power is tied up in the ECM to protect the warranty..
Someone hopefully will have a stock kona on a similar dynojet setup soon..

What i find interesting the most, is how restricted the stock engine seems to be. If we know stock hp at the crank is 175hp, that's approx 141hp to the wheels. So with bearly any bolt-ons, to do 184hp to the wheels, how does an intake produce 43 hp? The hotside resonator delete, and the port and polish of the TB, should really only effect efficiency. Plus my recirculation valve is venting to atmosphere, not into the intake.

So i wonder if the rating we are following is incorrect. Maybe the Kona produces approx 175hp to the wheels. not the crank, which would put the gain from the intake mods at about 9hp, which is inline with the Injen Intake rating.

·
Super Moderator
1,141 Posts
10 HP from that resonator delete pipe ? Seems a bit optimistic ? Don't have one so I cant say for sure.. but call me skeptical..

You did not get an OEM virgin starting point, that wouls of been nice. I assume you have seen this video? You do not have a downpipe I can assume. This video may help you figure stuff out.

What is the Kona's TB mm and what did you go to? Did you delete the coolant? Did you have to port the intake manifold to get a straight shot and no ridge? Just remember Hyundai will use "witness marks" against you in key areas, if you get ideas after seeing this video.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
10 HP from that resonator delete pipe ? Seems a bit optimistic ? Don't have one so I cant say for sure.. but call me skeptical..
Me too, but he has a dyno and we don't. When I bought mine I was figuring 3 hp. I would like to see a before and after. He's not known to be a BSer.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

57mm to 59mm. New plate. I did not modifiy the intake manifold. And i do have the coolant bypass done.

Personally not a fan of Torq. He has killed more engines with bad tunes then any of the other big players in hyundai/kia performance.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Now as a winter project, im thinking about making a new CF intake, with airbox, but also replace all the aluminium turbo piping with CF, smoothing out some of those sharp radius's, eliminating some of the couplers in the process. This will have almost no impact on direct performance gains. Again, its about efficiency at that point. Less turbulent air flow, no added heat by engine temp, and less chance of failure and boost leaks.

After that is all said and done, i intend to put it back on the dyno and see if anything changed, if any.

I personally don't know enough about the engine to decide when im out of warranty to do some internal work.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
57mm to 59mm. New plate. I did not modifiy the intake manifold. And i do have the coolant bypass done.

Personally not a fan of Torq. He has killed more engines with bad tunes then any of the other big players in hyundai/kia performance.
Yea 2013 Velosters with weak rods. I tracked all their posts on all forums, yeap he took a lot out but he was doing quite a few back then. The last couple of years I have not seen many at all.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Now as a winter project, im thinking about making a new CF intake, with airbox, but also replace all the aluminium turbo piping with CF, smoothing out some of those sharp radius's, eliminating some of the couplers in the process. This will have almost no impact on direct performance gains. Again, its about efficiency at that point. Less turbulent air flow, no added heat by engine temp, and less chance of failure and boost leaks.

After that is all said and done, i intend to put it back on the dyno and see if anything changed, if any.

I personally don't know enough about the engine to decide when im out of warranty to do some internal work.
I think you will gain something, I sure hope you do with all your effort.

I will be posting hopefully something on my filter direction I am going, in week or so IF it works. I am not a fan of K&N for long term street. I am going another direction that I hope works. It will not gain hp like a K&N, but better then a stock Kona setup.

I have a local dyno tunner shop that has an in ground AWD dyno, I may have to do a pull or two.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Or put the rear end on jackstands. How could anything go wrong there?
On the AWD models, when the computer notices the lack of wheel rotations in response to what the front is doing, the car cuts power, goes into a limp mode of sorts.

·
Registered
163 Posts

Can I buy your old CF intake?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I did light digging on the dynojet, and apparently it reads higher? I don’t know what to believe though. They say it’s a 12-15% higher reading than a mustang dyno, (which I calculated 12%) the power figures are close to stock rated HP and Torque. But obviously the stock numbers aren’t to the wheels. With the calculation, we are actually pushing stock numbers to the wheels now is what I’m getting?

so that’s still a good amount of gains for bolt ons and removals. Which is still about 30hp increase for ratings to the wheels

21 - 40 of 64 Posts