Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please Mod, if you would so kindly pin this to the top.

Post your Dyno sheets! Lets see what ya'll start off with, and if you mod your Kona, Please post any dyno sheets to show off what you got.

·
Super Moderator
810 Posts
I’m not expecting to see too many dyno sheets on this car.. Just don’t see many performance oriented people buying or modding these types of cars, as compared to the usual sport/muscle car types..

·
Registered
666 Posts
Like maybe 3 total. None from me, I am in warranty mode and wont touch my ECU. If I remember right there are 2 people that said they did dyno runs and one had a piggyback.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m not expecting to see too many dyno sheets on this car.. Just don’t see many performance oriented people buying or modding these types of cars, as compared to the usual sport/muscle car types..
Maybe not immediately popular platform, but its a place to start. My last car, B16 Nissan platform didnt get popular till after the plaltform was discontinued. If people see progress, whether its performance, reliability, and or fuel economy, more will come. The first few years are typically slow because everyone fears the warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I actually do side work for a Dyno company. MuleTown Dyno. We test performance race cars. The issue with the Kona for me is that it's all wheel drive. Most Dyno's can only do front or rwd. And ours is actually a mobile dyno that can only do fwd or rwd as there isn't a possible way to put a second set of rollers in the trailer.

We will be doing a race for Champcar at Sebring in Florida this December. If anyone on here has a 1.6 FWD Kona, We'll dyno it for free.

·
Super Moderator
810 Posts
Has anyone actually tried it that way? No issues with sensors not having the rear wheels in action ?
Is the speed sensor on the output shaft or computed via abs sensor on the wheels ? These newer cars
are always wanting to see some input from everything..

You pull the rear driveshaft, and some of of tuners have four drum dynos . TN, too far of a drive for me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anyone actually tried it that way? No issues with sensors not having the rear wheels in action ?
Is the speed sensor on the output shaft or computed via abs sensor on the wheels ? These newer cars
are always wanting to see some input from everything..
If you go to a Dyno shop then yeah you would find one that has rollers at both ends. We however are a mobile Dyno and handle car shows and races, not actual tuning. We would never pull the driveshaft out in the field like that to try and get a car running on the dyno. As far as sensors getting angry, which they always do. For a FWD or RWD car that's electronics won't let the vehicle perform with one set of wheels not turning. It's 99% of the time fixed by pulling an ABS fuse. Fuse goes back in before the vehicle is unhooked from the dyno.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congrats ! Thats impressive power to the wheels.. Please list your mods that you had on that run.. Looks like you max tq is higher up the rpm range than stock too.. Thanks for sharing..

Here's the short video too

As for mods, my short CF intake, hot side resonator delete, bored/polished throttle body, 93 octane bp fuel, exhaust muffler delete with an added jones turbine resonator.

Downside, was the only Kona owner there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here's the short video too

As for mods, my short CF intake, hot side resonator delete, bored/polished throttle body, 93 octane bp fuel, exhaust muffler delete with an added jones turbine resonator.

Downside, was the only Kona owner there.
So no tune or piggyback? And is that at the wheels or calculated engine hp and tq?
I'm hoping the Kona becomes Hyundai's wrx not sti lol I would love 230 hp and 250 tq!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Awesome!

Awesome I didnt expect our cars to be able to go from 175 engine hp to 183 wheel hp with basically bolt ons and no tuning! That makes me feel much better about getting parts for the car before a piggyback or tune
What i find interesting the most, is how restricted the stock engine seems to be. If we know stock hp at the crank is 175hp, that's approx 141hp to the wheels. So with bearly any bolt-ons, to do 184hp to the wheels, how does an intake produce 43 hp? The hotside resonator delete, and the port and polish of the TB, should really only effect efficiency. Plus my recirculation valve is venting to atmosphere, not into the intake.

So i wonder if the rating we are following is incorrect. Maybe the Kona produces approx 175hp to the wheels. not the crank, which would put the gain from the intake mods at about 9hp, which is inline with the Injen Intake rating.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts