Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV Ultimate
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I am a retiree and bought my 2020 EV couple months ago. Learned that dealer will charge me over $150 per season of tire replacement (summer and winter). Needed to be conservative on my expenses. Found a website where suggested Gorilla Automotive Telescoping Wrench, then checked in Amazon and realized that it does not fit Kona, surprised. Hence, I am very confused now. Would anyone please offer me recommendation on tools, with brand and model would be gratfeul, that I needed for tire rotation, considering my phyical ability is all right but not strong for sure.

Many thanks,
AC

·
Registered
11 Posts
I change my stock wheels for winter wheels and back again after the winter weather with the following:

(3) Deep sockets, 6 sided, 1/2" drive. (I don't recall if these are 19mm or 21mm.)
Breaker Bar, 1/2" drive.
Socket Wrench, 1/2" drive.
Torque Wrench, 1/2" drive.
Floor service type hydraulic jack. Minimum 1.5 ton but not advised. You don't need a "low profile" jack.
Jack Stand(s).
Wheel chock(s).
Tire marking grease pen (mark the location the wheel was removed from).
Tire pressure gauge.
(optionally, anti-seize compound for the wheel surface that mates to the hub surface.)
As far as brands go, Harbor Freight will do, even for the torque wrench (others will disagree).
The 3 sockets are to make the exchange go quicker by eliminating the swapping on and off of the socket.
You don't need a tire learning reset tools l for the TPMS, it is automatic.

I leave the tire rotation, which takes more equipment, to the dealer when getting an oil change.

·
Super Moderator
510 Posts
Hi there,
I am a retiree and bought my 2020 EV couple months ago. Learned that dealer will charge me over $150 per season of tire replacement (summer and winter).
$150 seems to be excessive for changing your wheels. are they remounting your tires every winter or changing two different sets of wheels?

·
Registered
242 Posts
For $150 your can buy all the tools listed above at Harbor Freight and still the significant other out for a good meal.

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV Ultimate
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The charge was only change my summer tires to winter tires. That is why I am considering to do it myself. The worse, I had waited for more than 2 hours just for changing tires.

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV Ultimate
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I change my stock wheels for winter wheels and back again after the winter weather with the following:

(3) Deep sockets, 6 sided, 1/2" drive. (I don't recall if these are 19mm or 21mm.)
Breaker Bar, 1/2" drive.
Socket Wrench, 1/2" drive.
Torque Wrench, 1/2" drive.
Floor service type hydraulic jack. Minimum 1.5 ton but not advised. You don't need a "low profile" jack.
Jack Stand(s).
Wheel chock(s).
Tire marking grease pen (mark the location the wheel was removed from).
Tire pressure gauge.
(optionally, anti-seize compound for the wheel surface that mates to the hub surface.)
As far as brands go, Harbor Freight will do, even for the torque wrench (others will disagree).
The 3 sockets are to make the exchange go quicker by eliminating the swapping on and off of the socket.
You don't need a tire learning reset tools l for the TPMS, it is automatic.

I leave the tire rotation, which takes more equipment, to the dealer when getting an oil change.
Thank you so much for your info(y). It is helpful to me.

·
Super Moderator
510 Posts
The charge was only change my summer tires to winter tires. That is why I am considering to do it myself. The worse, I had waited for more than 2 hours just for changing tires.
it doesn't take 2 hours to change 2 sets of wheels. DO you have two sets of tires or two sets of wheels with tires mounted already?

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV Ultimate
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it doesn't take 2 hours to change 2 sets of wheels. DO you have two sets of tires or two sets of wheels with tires mounted already?
I have a separate set of winter tires mounted on wheels. I booked my appointment for changing winter tires, because dealer stores my winter tires, I would expect half an hour at most. Besides the cost it is another major reason why I am considering to do it myself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts