Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2.0L SEL AWD, so it's the 6 speed non DCT. I have just rolled over 1000 miles on it. My problem is, I find the downshift from 5th to 4th gear to be jerky. For example, I would be drive up to speed, when I am approaching a red light, I would take my foot off the gas and let it coast. I would feel a bit of a jerk when the transmission drops from 5th to 4th gear. The rest of the gears shift down (or up, for that matter) seamlessly. Anybody else have this problem?

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
@hamjp, qfg was saying it's a non DTC .:smile: I believe you just misread it. I do it some of the time as well and I think we all misread occasionally, so no problem. Thank God, we are all the same and human.

@qfg I don't believe it's an issue. Sounds like as you're explaining, it happens when you are coasting without your foot on the brake at slower a slower speed? It's pretty common with most any standard torque converter while moving slower and coasting under no accelerator load. Sometimes we feel things we aren't familiar with directly or have experienced on a regular basis. Going slower in a car, van, SUV etc can bring out little "quirks" as I call them, we just don't normally feel. Keeping in mind there is nothing which is perfect or perfected. Once we become accustom to them it's not such an issue or disappears all together.

Give it some time, (several thousand miles) try not to worry about it. You're still breaking in the vehicle parts and it does so at a different intervals. If it persists talk to your service rep when you take it in for it's first service. If it becomes worse mechanically between no and then, (not mentally, been there done that, also):smile: then just take it to the dealer. They will be able to detect if there is an actual issue quite quickly. Above all, you purchased well and be thankful, you have a 5 year 100K warranty intact on the powertrain. They don't call it "the best warranty in the business," for nothing.:smile:

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks @JR KONA

Yes, I have the non turbo, so no DCT. The issue occurs only when I'm coasting the car to let it slow itself down, no foot on the brakes. The automatic down shift is very prominently felt going from 5th to 4th gear, and very smooth on all the other gears. That's why it was a bit of a small concerned. I wouldn't bring it up if all the gears felt the same. But yeah, I know the warranty will cover any major issue. I guess I'll see how it goes after I put another 1000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
@hamjp , qfg was saying it's a non DTC .:smile: I believe you just misread it. I do it some of the time as well and I think we all misread occasionally, so no problem. Thank God, we are all the same and human.

@qfg I don't believe it's an issue. Sounds like as you're explaining, it happens when you are coasting without your foot on the brake at slower a slower speed? It's pretty common with most any standard torque converter while moving slower and coasting under no accelerator load. Sometimes we feel things we aren't familiar with directly or have experienced on a regular basis. Going slower in a car, van, SUV etc can bring out little "quirks" as I call them, we just don't normally feel. Keeping in mind there is nothing which is perfect or perfected. Once we become accustom to them it's not such an issue or disappears all together.

Give it some time, (several thousand miles) try not to worry about it. You're still breaking in the vehicle parts and it does so at a different intervals. If it persists talk to your service rep when you take it in for it's first service. If it becomes worse mechanically between no and then, (not mentally, been there done that, also):smile: then just take it to the dealer. They will be able to detect if there is an actual issue quite quickly. Above all, you purchased well and be thankful, you have a 5 year 100K warranty intact on the powertrain. They don't call it "the best warranty in the business," for nothing.:smile:

Blessings and Peace

10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty to the original first time buyer.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/assurance/america-best-warranty.aspx

VW has the best bumper to bumper warranty now. But I don't think their drivetrain is as long as Hyundai.

https://www.vw.com/warranty/

·
Super Moderator
1,152 Posts
uh ? torque converter, isn't a dry clutch ! Has to be computer program for transmision.
There is a torque converter lockup that locks the TC so there is no slippage .. only usually in top gear and if loaded will release.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's a little bit more. I find if I put the Kona into sport mode, the down shift is less pronounced. It's still noticeable, but a bit smoother. Feels like you are learning to drive stick and still haven't got the hang of down shifting.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts