Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone else have this issue? It happened to me for the first time yesterday, I have a 2019 Ultimate. I was at dog training, my dog was crated in the back and I had the hatch open. The key was in my purse and after practice I returned to the car, tossed my purse onto the passenger car and closed the door. I went back a couple minutes later and all the doors were locked. I'm not sure how this happened. Even if I'd inadvertently hit the door lock button, according to the Hyundai website, as long as the Smart Key is in the vehicle the doors won't lock. Since I've only had the car a couple months I completely forgot that I can unlock it remotely using the Bluelink app on my phone, d'oh! I climbed in the back and unlocked a rear door, and from there I was able to reach the driver door and unlock the other doors.

This could have been a problem if I'd already closed the hatch and it locked too, and if my phone had been in my purse in the car, although as long as other people were still around I could have used another phone to log into MyHyundai online.

Even though you press the outside door handle button, the doors will not lock and the chime will sound for three seconds if any of the following occur:
  • The Smart Key is in the vehicle.
  • The Engine Start/Stop button is in ACC or ON position.
  • Any door except the tailgate is open.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Maybe after you tossed the purse into the car, the button on the remote was pressed on by another object inside ?
That seems like the most plausible way it happened. I had this problem with butt starts with my after market car starter until I switch over to their side button remote. It doesnt take much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe after you tossed the purse into the car, the button on the remote was pressed on by another object inside ?
That's certainly possible. Seems like that shouldn't happen though, the car should detect that the Smart Key is in the vehicle and NOT lock. I have seen "key detected" messages on the dash of my Highlander, which also has keyless entry. I'll have to test it out and see if I locks when push the button while I'm in the car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's certainly possible. Seems like that shouldn't happen though, the car should detect that the Smart Key is in the vehicle and NOT lock. I have seen "key detected" messages on the dash of my Highlander, which also has keyless entry. I'll have to test it out and see if I locks when push the button while I'm in the car.
I had this happen in my Mercedes Sprinter and no one including Mercedes could figure out why it happened. I guess it was one of the mysteries of life! The locksmith did the trick, $200 later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can lock the doors with the key inside. This is typical behavior of most smart key systems.

Sit in your car with the key.. Don't start the engine. Hit the door lock button on the door and the doors should lock. and remain locked until you open then door.

However, if the doors are locked with the key on the inside and you outside, you should still be able to press the door handle button release or the lift gate release and get into the car. This is the "you can't lock the keys in your car" part.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not only that, but you better believe that not being able to lock the car while you're still inside it with the keys, would be a huge safety issue. Being able to lock your car while you're still inside with the keys keeps you safe from say...anyone who might have the intention to harm you.

Although now that I think about it... if you're inside the car with the keys, and the doors are locked, couldn't a stranger just walk up to your car door, hit the button and unlock the car?

Hmm....

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
768 Posts
If you tossed the keyfob in the car, and it somehow locked, 1 of 2 things happened. 1) the battery in the key is low, and the signal it emits was not strong enough for the car to read its location. or 2) something blocked the signal from the keyfob, which is also pretty easy to do, as an example, covering your key with a RFID blocking wallet, or under a sandwich wrapped in tin foil.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not sure why Hyundai didn't implement this but they should've allowed us to lock the car with the key fob outside while the car is still on and running. What if I wanted to run into the store real quick to get something without having to turn off and on the car. Now I have too turn it off in order to lock it. It was a great feature on my past cars, especially for those cold days and hot days when you want to heat/AC to stay on while you exit your car for a second and you come back to a warm/cold car. I mean think about it, you waste alil more gas by turning it off and on then by just keeping it on. But overall I love my Kona. Not gonna let this 1 feature make me hate the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone else have this issue? It happened to me for the first time yesterday, I have a 2019 Ultimate. I was at dog training, my dog was crated in the back and I had the hatch open. The key was in my purse and after practice I returned to the car, tossed my purse onto the passenger car and closed the door. I went back a couple minutes later and all the doors were locked. I'm not sure how this happened. Even if I'd inadvertently hit the door lock button, according to the Hyundai website, as long as the Smart Key is in the vehicle the doors won't lock. Since I've only had the car a couple months I completely forgot that I can unlock it remotely using the Bluelink app on my phone, d'oh! I climbed in the back and unlocked a rear door, and from there I was able to reach the driver door and unlock the other doors.

This could have been a problem if I'd already closed the hatch and it locked too, and if my phone had been in my purse in the car, although as long as other people were still around I could have used another phone to log into MyHyundai online.

Even though you press the outside door handle button, the doors will not lock and the chime will sound for three seconds if any of the following occur:

I'm so happy to be able to answer this after 2 years, it just happened to us. The hatch closes and latches shut but the car sends the signal when the hatch is FULLY closed. We closed our hatch and locked the keys inside. My father in law took it upon himself to fix the problem for a while and finally just pushed the hatch shut further and the car sent out the signal, recognized the key and unlocked itself. PUSH ALL DOORS AND HATCHES SHUT.

·
Registered
2 Posts

This same thing just happened to me. My purse, cellphone, etc. is locked in the car. I can't use my spare key to open the doors and blue link was useless. I am sitting waiting for AAA to come.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm so happy to be able to answer this after 2 years, it just happened to us. The hatch closes and latches shut but the car sends the signal when the hatch is FULLY closed. We closed our hatch and locked the keys inside. My father in law took it upon himself to fix the problem for a while and finally just pushed the hatch shut further and the car sent out the signal, recognized the key and unlocked itself. PUSH ALL DOORS AND HATCHES SHUT.
Nope that is not my issue here. All doors are closed fully and the hatch is also

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona 1.6T Premium
29 Posts
This same thing just happened to me. My purse, cellphone, etc. is locked in the car. I can't use my spare key to open the doors and blue link was useless. I am sitting waiting for AAA to come.
You can always open the doors with the spare key, see the photos below.
By clicking the loose part out of the housing, you can open the door manually with this key.

Car alarm Input device Automotive lighting Automotive design Peripheral
Automotive lighting Automotive design Gadget Input device Communication Device
Automotive lighting Camera accessory Audio equipment Automotive fog light Automotive tire
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tire Sports equipment Grey

1 - 13 of 13 Posts