Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to sound like a Karen, but can someone explain this to me. I had a 2014 Nissan Maxima, base model. With this car i was able to leave it running, step out of the car and lock the doors from the outside, with the car still running. Now with my 2020 Kona Ultimate (which i love), I don't have this feature. I would either have to turn the car off or lock it with the actual key if i leave the car running. Now how does a 6 year old car have this feature but not a brand new car? Lol

Maybe there is a aftermarket part i can install to do this?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
My opinion is they do on purpose so you don't let your car run while unattended. To many states have laws on unattended car use, even with a car starter. I see why there are laws since too many cars are getting ripped off while people do this in large cities. My car starter locks all doors, before starting and of course the steering is locked and has a timer and if you hit the brake after 5 mins of a 15 set time it kills. So my car is now safe through technology and I discount that BS law that did not take in account this technology. I am not a fan of government dictating laws where there is "fix" to the problem.

Hyundai's are one of the cars where their crappy engine metallurgy needs a good couple minutes to expand the pistons to a proper fit before driving off. Even a Hyundai mechanic on a forum stated you should warm you car up a couple of minutes before driving off because of all the piston galling/bearing issues they have. I wait at least a minute of two in the summer before driving off. In midwest winter I usually wait at least 4 minutes before driving off. I reduce or completely by-pass that time by using an auto car starter. The pistons are so short now a days I want expanded pistons before any boost hits them. I have seen a couple of trashed Hyundai pistons and you can see some piston rocking wear of driving off on a dead cold motor before they have expanded. On a Honda or VW it s not really a worry, like I feel it is on a Hyundai. It only takes a couple of minutes to save some excessive wear points. I digress.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts