Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering the purchase of a 2023 Kona N Line w/Ultimate Package. I "built" the car (with premium paint and a block heater) on Hyundai Canada's website. MSRP after taxes is roughly CAD$42,000.

I checked the websites of the four local dealers. Only one has a Kona N Line w/Ultimate Package in stock. In fact they show three (3) in stock, each with a list price of roughly CAD$43,000 before taxes. With taxes included, their OTD price would be about CAD$4,000 above MSRP.

I contacted the dealer by email to get confirmation of their OTD price. Here is the response I received:
"The price discrepancy you see if is about $4,000 different from your build price due to the $4,000 Hyundai Canada back charge to keep this unit in our inventory! What happened was a customer of ours ordered this unit and was not able to fulfill their end of the deal and had to back out. Hyundai Canada then says okay, we are going to ship that unit to another dealership to fill another sold order, we can then choose to keep it in our inventory but get hit with a charge from Hyundai to do so, $4,000 to be exact on Kona's.

So that is the difference you are noticing. I can save you that charge with ordering you a Kona N-Line, you would just need to be okay with the wait involved with ordering from the factory. A fair number of my customers are really liking the ability to customize their orders exactly how they would like for no extra charge!"

Interestingly, this dealer has 4 non-N Line AWD Konas in stock. All are priced many thousands above MSRP. The "back charge" for cancelled orders is BS. What's going on actually is a form of "market adjustment" on the price of in-stock vehicles.

Bottom line: if I end ordering a Kona N Line it definitely will not be from this dealership.

I'd appreciate hearing what others think about on this dealership's pricing practice.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Contact hyundai canada, dont know what province but here in Québec it is illegal, the built price internet is the price the dealer had to respect
I'm in Manitoba. Here, the law requires a dealer's advertised price to include everything except PST and GST. The listings on this dealer's website state that taxes are not included.

The provincial law does not require dealers to itemize additional fees (like the purported "back charge") that are included in the advertised price.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts