Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my Kona in October 2019. The maintenance book says I don't need anything until 7,500 miles. I've only got about 3,400 I believe or 2,400, yet it's been 7 months and I haven't done any sort of maintenance to it. Is there something I should do, or am I fine until 7,500 miles? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,026 Posts
If it is you havent Done your first oil change yet, I would think about getting it done soon..
it also depends on the type of driving you do.. short runs , cold weather, change it more often, follow the severe schedule.. I have the 1.6T and change it every 4K or so..

·
Registered
216 Posts
Getting an oil change every six months is probably a good idea even if you aren't driving a lot. I'm just over 17k miles on my 2018 Kona and have had it just about exactly 2 years. I just had my 4th oil change done.

·
Registered
58 Posts
As Bad-Papa said it depends on the type of driving you do. Many cars use the computer in your car to monitor how you drive (Oil Life Monitor(OLM) system ) and so you see a % of time like a count down to when to change it. So you might drive only 3000 miles or 12,000 miles before the oil needs to be changed. Other cars go strictly by mileage whatever the manufacture recommends.

Synthetic oil does help in allowing you to drive longer however keep in mine the oil might be still good but what about the oil filter? I'm not sure I would change it every 6 months but I would as least once a year.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
So I got my Kona in October 2019. The maintenance book says I don't need anything until 7,500 miles. I've only got about 3,400 I believe or 2,400, yet it's been 7 months and I haven't done any sort of maintenance to it. Is there something I should do, or am I fine until 7,500 miles? Thanks.

From the factory first run fills should be changed by 2,500 miles is my opinion. There is very fine metal flakes as your motor is being broken in that as so fine they go right through the filter. The OEM Hyundai oil filter is known to be a Swiss cheese filter, so you are getting more of this fine metal going right through the filter. Then you can go to the longer normal time after the first change. There is no need to change the oil filter at 1 year either. It is not an orange pumpkin.

As far as once a year, this is done as an easy reminder and to get people to change it. If you had this car at say a Florida second home and you only put 1,000 or even 2,000 miles on it in one year. You could very safely leave it in for 2 years and change it at 4,000 miles. You would not want to leave 6,000 miles run oil in it over a storage time frame if you left it at your Florida home for 6 mouths because of the acids in the oil can be hard on crank and rod bearings with acid damage. 2,000 mile oil I think would be ok, since there are not a high amount of acids stressing the additive package in the oil at that point. That would be my limit in the above scenario.

If you have the 2.0 that is not a GDI (direct injected motor) you would be fine with a synthetic to say 7,500 miles. A non-turbo GDI motor I would only go to 5,000 miles in a city/hwy scenario, in a strictly hwy scenario I would push it to 6,000. GDI's put soot and fuel into the oil and add to timing chain wear. In a GDI turbo in a city /hwy I would not go past 4,000, you have a lot of soot and fuel with Hyundai turbo as they dump alot of fuel in to stop LSPI and normal detonation. Strickly hwy, 5,000 would be a max.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts