Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of cross bars online and wanted to share. They were cheaper than my dealer had quoted me and they are made by Hyundai.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks that is cheaper than the dealer for sure! Thinking about picking up a set. I’m new to roof rails and cross bars. Are the cross bars neccesary to use like a Thule snowboard carrier or a cargo box , etc ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks that is cheaper than the dealer for sure! Thinking about picking up a set. I’m new to roof rails and cross bars. Are the cross bars neccesary to use like a Thule snowboard carrier or a cargo box , etc ?
Yes, the carriers sit on and attach to the cross bars.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought a set of cross bars online and wanted to share. They were cheaper than my dealer had quoted me and they are made by Hyundai.

Can I please ask you a question? I, too, bought these racks (not on that site but the same, original, crossbars). I assumed the clamp that "grabs" the roof rails would go under the lip of the rail (since the rail is kind of T shaped), but I spent hours trying to get them to go under and could not. All I could do is crank them down to about 50 ft/lbs of torque but am very leery that they will pull off if I put something heavy or wide enough like a kayak that would cause a lot of lift. Did you have any problems attaching them? Do they grab under the lip or simply "squeeze" the top part of the rails? I'm very nervous about using them with anything other than maybe a set of skis. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can I please ask you a question? I, too, bought these racks (not on that site but the same, original, crossbars). I assumed the clamp that "grabs" the roof rails would go under the lip of the rail (since the rail is kind of T shaped), but I spent hours trying to get them to go under and could not. All I could do is crank them down to about 50 ft/lbs of torque but am very leery that they will pull off if I put something heavy or wide enough like a kayak that would cause a lot of lift. Did you have any problems attaching them? Do they grab under the lip or simply "squeeze" the top part of the rails? I'm very nervous about using them with anything other than maybe a set of skis. Thanks in advance.
There are little caps that cover where they go down into the rails.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There are little caps that cover where they go down into the rails.
Thanks for your reply. However, I have the caps. They are just to protect the rails from being scratched. My concern is that the metal "grips" that go over the caps don't go down far enough so that they wrap around and get under the lip of the rail. Do yours go down far enough to get under the lip to lock them on or are they just "squeezing" the rail to hold them on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your reply. However, I have the caps. They are just to protect the rails from being scratched. My concern is that the metal "grips" that go over the caps don't go down far enough so that they wrap around and get under the lip of the rail. Do yours go down far enough to get under the lip to lock them on or are they just "squeezing" the rail to hold them on?
First I would say make sure the LH is on the driver's side of the car and the RH side is on the passenger side. When the covers are removed, there are places to tighten it down. Mine are on very snug. I can find the directions that come with mine online. I have attached them. My husband did most of the install on them. I hope this helps.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts