Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought and partially installed the Infinity Kappa 62IX speakers in my base model 2018 Kona and after getting them installed I realized that the factory speakers were 4 ohms at 20w instead of the 2 ohms I thought they were. I mixed them up with the infinity system im assuming and am worried my 2.5 ohm Infinity will cook the stock head unit. Will these speakers be fine or do I need to return them? How many ohms is the factory tweeter because the crutch field manual on the car said the tweeter is running in parallel so would unplugging the tweeter make any difference or can I just add a resistor?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Matching the impedance of what you are replacing is probably a good idea. If you blast the audio, your amp may overheat, or you may get more distortion.
That is the primary disadvantage to using lower impedance speakers than the originals. If you limit the volume, you could be at the same place as with the old speakers.

Tweeters are usually higher impedance than woofers. But there may be more components involved than just the woofer ands tweeter in parallel. There may be also a crossover network involved.
If you have a crossover involved, replacing just the woofer with a lower impedance one will likely have unpredictable consequences.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I recently bought and partially installed the Infinity Kappa 62IX speakers in my base model 2018 Kona and after getting them installed I realized that the factory speakers were 4 ohms at 20w instead of the 2 ohms I thought they were. I mixed them up with the infinity system im assuming and am worried my 2.5 ohm Infinity will cook the stock head unit. Will these speakers be fine or do I need to return them? How many ohms is the factory tweeter because the crutch field manual on the car said the tweeter is running in parallel so would unplugging the tweeter make any difference or can I just add a resistor?
You'll be fine with those speakers. Did you buy separate tweeters? Since the kona comes with factory components (separate mids and tweeters), it's usually best to just replace with components which would include the mids, tweeters, and crossovers.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Tweeter Draw is Negligible. It has a Crossover built in. Wont play Low notes. Speakers are funny. Ohms change according to the Frequency. And its AC. Not DC on those leads. I have Kicker KX series in my doors. Ran off Stock HU for almost a year. Until I had the Sony 70x4 amp installed. Now I have a Kicker Comp R 12" Sealed. And a Kicker CX Mono amp. Running 1 ohm pushing 490 Watts. All RMS power. All connected to factory radio.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts