Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Last few days we had some Heavy Storms come through. Today I noticed Dents above my Drivers Rear Door. And its hard to open. Guess I need to go to a Body Shop for an Estimate.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yesterday I stopped at a local Body Shop. It's an old business. They do Good Work. Fixed a few cars for myself and family. Estimate is $530. And will take a couple of days. I have seen Paintless Dent repair. On a Tailgate. Looked like the Himalayan's when he was done. Very rough and pointy. Body shop had to smooth it out and put filler in it. Then repainted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yesterday I stopped at a local Body Shop. It's an old business. They do Good Work. Fixed a few cars for myself and family. Estimate is $530. And will take a couple of days. I have seen Paintless Dent repair. On a Tailgate. Looked like the Himalayan's when he was done. Very rough and pointy. Body shop had to smooth it out and put filler in it. Then repainted.
If good PDR guy takes out a dent you will never know it was touched. However did that tailgate was a hack. I have seen a car that looked like golf ball with hail dents repaired completely with PDR and it was perfect. More to the point it was left with it's original paint. Once you get into bodywork you are looking at painting with the risk of a poor paint match. You will see countless cars running around that have some of the panels painted and the match is off. If I have a choice between PDR and bodywork, PDR wins every time

Pat.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am out of work at the moment. Mavis Tire location has a Covid Closure. 2nd time in 5 months working here.

·
Registered
2018 Kona Highlander 1.6T
13 Posts
I purchased my 2018 1.6T Highlander five months ago. The guy I bought it from had purchased it at an insurance company auction as a "repayable write off" due to hail damage. He said he'd replaced the hood (the car is white so no tricky metallic paint to match) and had the PDR magic done on the roof.

As an aside, we had a very heavy hail storm here in Canberra in January 2020 which resulted in damage to over 44,500 vehicles. Both the seller and I were both mystified that the insurance company wrote the car off given its age and the relatively small amount of damage it sustained.

Five months on and the only remaining evidence of hail damage is some marking on the rubber strips at the bottom of the windows. I didn't get to see the "before" photos but regardless, the work on the turret is faultless.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guess it depends Where the damage is. And who fixed it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts