Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I contacted my seller regarding the status of my purchase. He said they were able to work out a deal with another dealer in a neighboring province. My dealer has a vehicle they want, so they will simply swap. Great for me. He told me they just had to go pick it up. It’s a 1700 km (1056 miles) round trip. So... my ‘new’ car will have at least 500 miles on it when it’s finally delivered to me, not to mention potential road rash.

This is the first new vehicle I’ve purchased that will have anything over 100 km on it. The others have always been on the lot. Not sure how to approach this, as that’s a lot of miles on a car that they are selling as new. Is it appropote to ask for a discount? I’d much rather they put it on an auto hauler.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Have you asked how they are transporting it? I have doubts that they would offer a discount because of 500 miles, instead of a discount you could ask about some free maintenance but chances are they will look at it as being less than 1% off the 100,000 mile warranty if they are driving it - any damage done would be covered by the dealer and you always have the right to refuse after it gets there. They likely view this is going above and beyond for their customer...not sure this is a battle I would choose to undertake and if I did I would aim for the maintenance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. As I suspected, they are sending someone down with the other dealership’s car, and driving mine back. The sales manager here is a real hard-nose type so I doubt there would be any concessions at all. They have already cashed my $500 deposit, so there would be more unpleasantness if I refused to accept delivery. I will just look at it as the cost of not wanting to wait for another factory delivery.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Notified by the dealership today that the car is here, and without any damages. They will clean/detail it and have it ready for me by Monday. Another concern I have is that the engine break-in period likely consisted of someone setting the cruise for the better part of a 9 hour drive....what should be an exciting experience is turning into one of impending dread.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My friend drove to the dealer today to have a look at the car. He found a small dent on the rear passenger side door, and a scuff on the front bumper. Out of curiosity, I called two other Hyundai dealers to ask how they transport out of province transfers. Both said they always transport new cars on a flatdeck. They will have to sweeten this deal considerably to keep me as a customer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thats sad.....my dealer had it shipped to me and the salesman even sent me a pic when it arrived on the truck/trailer....it had 30 miles on it.....i would not want a "new" car with 500 miles on it....thats just me.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Agreed, unless I were purposefully buying a demo.

My friend drove to the dealer today to have a look at the car. He found a small dent on the rear passenger side door, and a scuff on the front bumper. Out of curiosity, I called two other Hyundai dealers to ask how they transport out of province transfers. Both said they always transport new cars on a flatdeck. They will have to sweeten this deal considerably to keep me as a customer.
I can certainly understand your comment and hesitation. I hope everything works out to your usefulness and convenience.:smile:

Peace and Blessings

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Update to the story: In the end, I decided to accept the car, as is. Yesterday, The dealership repaired the dent, and polished out the bumper scuff.

I contacted the dealership owner and explained my concerns with the km’s. He seemed like a decent guy , and was quite understanding, saying to me that he told his sales manager that if he were buying a new car, he would not be happy with the extra km’s either. Going forward, they will do a better job of offering the customer more options. He said I could wait until a ‘new’ car arrived via truck, but could not offer even a ballpark estimate on delivery time. He offered 2 free oil changes, and the warrantee would extend to 100,850 km’s, that was it.

I processed the paperwork yesterday, and transferred the title and insurance today, finalizing the deal this morning. I noted that the other Konas on the lot had a permanent block heater plug secured near the bottom of the grille. Mine car did not. They told me it was a dealer specific choice, and they would charge me about $300 to install in the grille.

Also noticed while walking away that it has a TON of horizontal swirl marks along the sides, from front to back. AGGHH!! The original dealer (or likely this one) obviously dragged a foam brush over it. I’m pretty sure I can polish most of this out with my Porter Cable, but the point is that I should not have to do this on a brand new car. Returned to the dealership this afternoon and they at least agreed to polish out the swirls on Friday. This has not been a positive, stress free experience, I will say that...lol

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
I certainly understand your situation. The swirl marks can be polished out quite easily.

Which Kona trim did you get?

Be persistent but courtesy with them regarding the block heater. If it's an installed dealer option they installed on all their Kona's , then there is no reason they shouldn't install one free of charge on your vehicle. You did purchase the vehicle from them, not another dealer and they might extend this to you. Use this to your advantage on Friday when you take it back. Give it a shot, the worst they could say is, "no" and even at that if you really desire it, they might meet you halfway. they don't call the dealer/ships for nothing. Work the deal.:smile:

Best regards and hope for your success.:smile:

Blessing and Peace

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I certainly understand your situation. The swirl marks can be polished out quite easily.

Which Kona trim did you get?

Be persistent but courtesy with them regarding the block heater. If it's an installed dealer option they installed on all their Kona's , then there is no reason they shouldn't install one free of charge on your vehicle. You did purchase the vehicle from them, not another dealer and they might extend this to you. Use this to your advantage on Friday when you take it back. Give it a shot, the worst they could say is, "no" and even at that if you really desire it, they might meet you halfway. they don't call the dealer/ships for nothing. Work the deal.:smile:

Best regards and hope for your success.:smile:

Blessing and Peace
Thanks for that JR Kona.

I have the 1.6t Trend, in Pulse Red.

I asked my seller if they could relocate the block heater cord, and permanently affix it to the grille as the other Konas on the lot were set up. He thought they could do that, but his sales manager said absolutely not. I am tempted to talk to the owner again as he seemed to at least be polite, and conceded two oil changes. I really don’t like the sales manager, he seems almost confrontational, so there is definitely a communication barrier there.

The point is, they are telling me there is already a block heater installed. They tell me it is a completely different model than what they install. :confused: Have no idea why they would install a completely different unit; something smells rotten in Denmark. All they need to do is relocate what is currently there. If it is actually a different unit, they can remove it (resell it) and install their heater. We’ll see what happens.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Thanks for that JR Kona.

I have the 1.6t Trend, in Pulse Red.

I asked my seller if they could relocate the block heater cord, and permanently affix it to the grille as the other Konas on the lot were set up. He thought they could do that, but his sales manager said absolutely not. I am tempted to talk to the owner again as he seemed to at least be polite, and conceded two oil changes. I really don’t like the sales manager, he seems almost confrontational, so there is definitely a communication barrier there.

The point is, they are telling me there is already a block heater installed. They tell me it is a completely different model than what they install. :confused: Have no idea why they would install a completely different unit; something smells rotten in Denmark. All they need to do is relocate what is currently there. If it is actually a different unit, they can remove it (resell it) and install their heater. We’ll see what happens.
Good on you. Definitely talk to the owner if he's more reasonable. Well if the engine block heater was a dealer installed option, then there should be any problem with the installation. It's obviously an aftermarket product and not sold by Hyundai. So it's reasonable to believe there wouldn't be any problem with the installation, especially after the sales manager told you they could install it for $300.00. Taking in consideration the issues you've had to deal with up front and still purchased from them, it might be a magnanimous gesture on their part.

All the best with the Kona. I hope you enjoy it.:smile:

Blessings and Peace

Reactions: WestCanMan
1 - 11 of 11 Posts