Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just turned on the driver and passenger side heated seats (toggled through ro level one led). Backed out of the driveway and driver side is now off and will not turn on again. Any thoughts about what is going on?

Thanks,
Tim

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, that's a "never mind". During that short trip I wasn't able to turn on the driver's side but could turn the passenger side on and off. When I returned to the car after Dr. visit both work as normal...

Who knew!?

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, it's not really heated seat season, yet. Just thought I'd give them a try on a chilly day. Evidently something reset when the car was powered down. Thankful both are working now.

I have a lot to learn about winter use and charging. This forum has helped prepare me for the coming challenges that below freezing temperatures will bring. That season will start any week now and run until mid to late April.

Ordered new snow tires and they have arrived. I'll mount myself and I'm working on a balancing device. This coming winter I have decided to use the stock wheels. After the late fall mount and dismount in the spring I might be ready to "spring" for a set of winter wheels and pressure sensors.

· Registered
50 Posts
Yeah, it's not really heated seat season, yet. Just thought I'd give them a try on a chilly day. Evidently something reset when the car was powered down. Thankful both are working now.

I have a lot to learn about winter use and charging. This forum has helped prepare me for the coming challenges that below freezing temperatures will bring. That season will start any week now and run until mid to late April.

Ordered new snow tires and they have arrived. I'll mount myself and I'm working on a balancing device. This coming winter I have decided to use the stock wheels. After the late fall mount and dismount in the spring I might be ready to "spring" for a set of winter wheels and pressure sensors.
Compared to my Volt, the traction control for my 21 Kona EV is very aggressive to where it kicked in too early and I could not get up a hill I use for testing, even with a running start. However, if I disabled the traction control, I could get up it with a running start.

Keep your winter tires on the original wheels and try these for your summer tires:
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/brand.jsp?brand=sport+terrain TK7
I put them on and they look great. I also replaced the tires with 225/55-17 with very close diameter (which you can find on Tirerack and the car looks beefier.

BTW, I haven't used snow tires for over 40 years living in New England and upstate NY. The very small percentage of times when they might be really needed for the average person are very small.

· Registered
2 Posts
Well, that's a "never mind". During that short trip I wasn't able to turn on the driver's side but could turn the passenger side on and off. When I returned to the car after Dr. visit both work as normal...

Who knew!?
So I’ve just purchased a used 2019 Kona this past week and this weekend I noticed this exact issue cropping up. The driver side seat warmer does turn on, but quickly turns off and won’t work again until the car is turned on and off. Passenger side is fine. Have you had this issue come up again, or have any ideas on what might have fixed it for you?

· Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2021 Kona, and mine just started doing this. Passenger seat works fine. But driver side stays on for like 20secs and shuts off and will not come back on unless I turn off car and back on, and then proceeds to do it again. So no one has had this checked out? I definitely will. haha. I would really like this fairly new vehicle to function correctly.

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have not checked into this phenomenon with my '21 Kona EV. However, yesterday as I was driving around I played with it to see if the powering down has anything to do with vibrations as I am driving so I stopped and shut off the car. Then I turned it back on, left it in Park and turned on the driver's side heater. After maybe twenty seconds it shut off. I repeated the process and again it shut off. The passenger side stays on until I shut it off or shut off the car.

Please let us all know if you find a solution to this. My car has no warranty coverage so I'm hoping at best it will be a simple DIY fix, at worst I can tell a dealer (the scary part) what the problem likely is and get a quick repair. I would not trust local Hyundai service departments (90 miles away is the closest) after my first experience with the headlight high beam adjustment. The service manager told me that Hyundai didn't build in an adjustment for headlights. I went home in disbelief and found a DIY solution... use the adjustment screws just under the hood, above the headlights just as Hyundai designed them.

FYI on that fiasco...
My first Hyundai Service Shop experience... headlight adjustment

· Registered
3 Posts
I will definitely keep you posted! I did hit a deer almost 2 weeks ago on the left side. So I mentioned that to the people who are going to do the repairs. To see if by chance it's connected. As it worked before that. Could just be total coincidence. I definitely avoid dealerships if I can. 🤷‍♀️ Probably just me though. Haha.

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In Hyundai's defense there are no dealers in my state that sell the Kona EV. So I don't really expect them to be up on EV related maintenance. But headlight adjustment! I will avoid the Green Bay, WI dealership if possible.

I did contact the dealership after I found the headlight fix through their online feedback form. A woman called me back and asked me to describe the visit once more. She assured me that the service department would get back to me with an explanation. That was early August. Never heard from them...

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yesterday, I tried an experiment to see if sitting on the driver's seat causes a short that shuts down the heater. I started the car without being on the seat. I then turned on the seat heater. Surprisingly it stayed on for almost two minutes and then shut itself off. Though it takes a complete shut down of the car each time, I repeated that several times and it then turned off in less than ten seconds every time. I turned it on and pressed on the cushion but couldn't determine if that caused the heater to shut off because the heater shut off pretty much every time at a bit less than ten seconds.

I've contacted a nearby (two hour drive) Hyundai service department and described the issue. I'll report back here if I hear back from them. I would think that with so many people reporting this issue that Hyundai would have a fix. I'm not holding my breath though.

· Registered
2 Posts
Following. My Kona has started doing this exact thing as well just on the driver's side. I've had it a little over a year and it used to work just fine which makes me think maybe a fuse went out. Interested to hear what you come back with!

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry Mercerk8, I have no news to offer. I've contacted the Hyundai service in Appleton, WI but they do not respond to my requests. I'm beginning to think that shops outside of Hyundai's EV sales area (2018 to 2021 at least) are not trained to address EV issues so they just ignore my requests.

It's frustrating because I am not asking for warranty work. I have no warranty on my '21 Kona EV

1 - 17 of 17 Posts