Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a call from dealer that dct needs to be replaced after an annual inspection found the tranny to be leaking. I have had it serviced three times since I bought it new, now has 70k. I was hoping to beat the odds and go the distance with no issues, but no dice for me. I have a 2019 ultimate 1.6. Sucky thing is there is a 2 week wait for hyundai approval and then who knows how long till it gets ordered and put in. They told me to just keep driving it till they get it approved. Then they said I would have to call corporate to get approval for external rental cause they have no cars on the lot for loaners. This suuuucks since it's our only car right now. My wife is bullshit. I hope you all don't have to go through this during this terrible economy.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My wife is bullshit.
Pretty sure it's a typo, but jokes aside, yes the whole situation is bullshit, and I went through it with my 1.6T engine rebuild that took 7 months to the exact day to get finished. If you can secure a rental at a decent rate, just get it, and immediately contact corporate to give them the contract details and they can start reimbursing you.

·
Registered
2020 black kona limited
411 Posts
Pretty sure it's a typo, but jokes aside, yes the whole situation is bullshit, and I went through it with my 1.6T engine rebuild that took 7 months to the exact day to get finished. If you can secure a rental at a decent rate, just get it, and immediately contact corporate to give them the contract details and they can start reimbursing you.
i dont like hearing this, my dct has been acting kinda funny

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it sucks, now they said we shouldn't drive it after talking to the manager. We called corporate and waiting for the claim to be approved which could take up to 2 weeks. My wife was pissed cause the people at the service desk were giving attitude about the rental situation when she called following up for me. She let em have it and ended up getting the dealer manager who will hopefully speed things up, but Im not holding my breath.The only back up we have is our inlaws f250 which has a 30 gallon tank and will put us in the poor house for sure quick. This all just came out of nowhere. It wasn't driving that bad other than some herky jerky from a stop which I thought was normal for the dct. Definitely keep an eye for leaks cause if it weren't for the tech at my regular shop it was probably destined to break and leave us stranded at some point.

·
Registered
2020 black kona limited
411 Posts
my dct started acting funny a couple weeks ago. ive never had it pulse goin slow in drive thrus. but it happens now. and after a stop it seems to do what you describe, when its never done that before, upon accelerating from a stop it seems it cant find the right gear, for a second or two, ussually the jerkiness was from it going from 1st to 2nd quickly, but now it stumbles and finds its place. ill have my shop look at it , actually after thinking about it its been weird awhile now vs the past 1.5 years, its almost like it has bad gas, now im sad lol

·
Banned
1,848 Posts
my dct started acting funny a couple weeks ago. ive never had it pulse goin slow in drive thrus. but it happens now. and after a stop it seems to do what you describe, when its never done that before, upon accelerating from a stop it seems it cant find the right gear, for a second or two, ussually the jerkiness was from it going from 1st to 2nd quickly, but now it stumbles and finds its place. ill have my shop look at it , actually after thinking about it its been weird awhile now vs the past 1.5 years, its almost like it has bad gas, now im sad lol
Unhook the positive battery terminal for 15 mins to clear the adaptive learning that is in memory.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It didn't take much convincing at the dealer. I told them I had it inspected and the tech noticed a leak. The tech advised I head straight to the dealer. The only good thing is they changed my tranny and diff fluid last summer at 60k. So they were last to touch it. It seems there was a bad run of 2019 dct's while I was researching. I think they are treating it as a case by case rather than a recall which is crappy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update, Hyundai approved the dct replacement on Friday. They gave an astonishing 1 week eta for shipment and up to one week for installation/testing new dct. I was shocked, but will believe it when I see it. I got a rental through priceline for 1200 for three weeks in a mazda cx5 from budget. It comes out to about a smidgen over 60 a day. Hyundai approved reimbursement up to 75 per day. I had to front the cash, so hopefully will get that back. If all works out it will be much better than anticipated. I will follow up timeline for repair. I hope this replacement lasts and they extend the warranty a bit.

·
Registered
2020 black kona limited
411 Posts
i just called to schedule an appt the other day , they cant see me for 3 weeks, they want a week to diagnose, and a few days to fix it. id be screwed if i didnt fix it myself. theyve done this since day on a year and half ago, i would call for the "free" maintenance that came with my hyundai that i had to pay 40 for them to use the correct oil weight and type, it would always need a 2 week lead time, so i call my local shop and get in the next day and pay out of pocket

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update on my situation. They finally got replacement DCT in last week, but that one was defective after they installed it, wouldn't shift. Now they have to order another with an estimated eta of 3 weeks. Thought I was lucky when they said one week for shipment which I was. This started June 1st and had to renew my rental for another two weeks. Already 1600 in the hole for rental charges which they are reimbursing. Just sucks that we have to pony up money for something that was hyundais fault in the first place. Also, this leaves me with an unsettled feeling that the supposed new replacement dct failed right in the shop before I got it. Fingers crossed the next one works. I miss my kona as I love it, but dam that dct. C'mon hyundai get it right dammit. I will update further. Have a great weekend everyone:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update, I got my kona back today after second tranny installation was a success. So far so good driving wise as its only been a day. No more stumble or hesitation from a stop and she seems punchier off the line. Also notice better engagement of gears when driving in diffrent situations. Only time will tell how this holds up, but am gonna try to remain optimistic. Now the fun begins getting rental reimbursement back from corporate after spending 1800 for one month out of pocket, ouch. I missed my kona and glad to have her back. Have a great 4th everyone..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts