Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Generally I like it. Yes it does seem to lose its mind periodically but when it works ( 95% of the time) it is great

·
Registered
28 Posts
I like it a lot, but it's hard to say just how much is the DCT vs the 1.6 turbo. It's relatively easy to "trick" the DCT into delayed shifts, but you learn pretty quickly how it will respond to certain actions (ones that might not be accounted for in the adaptive learning). Drive it for a day and it shouldn't surprise you after that. Overall it shifts much better than the 2.0 auto version IMO.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The DCT is my favorite part of driving a Kona Limited FWD, and the engine is the second.

Certain posters here claim it helps to drive the DCT if you have experience with manual, (remember that clutch pedal !) transmissions.

That is pure bull. My wife couldn't drive a 5-speed manual to save her own life, but she prefers the Kona over the Santa Fe Sport anytime.

·
Super Moderator
279 Posts
Having been burnt by other dual clutch transmissions in the past (VW)
I am way more cautious with the DCT in the Kona.

That said, I don't notice any weirdness apart from the usual issues with trying to reverse a DCT up a hill, it's a little jerky... but nothing to bad

·
Registered
357 Posts
It's ok.
I liked our Audi dct much better, quicker smoother shifts.
A couple of software updates should make the Hyundai dct better :) .

·
Super Moderator
1,182 Posts
My first DCT ..
I think its awesome ! It adds to the character of the car.. When driven normally the system
shifts smoothly.. When pushed the shifts are crisp and quick...
When asked to downshift more than one cog.. the system can hesitate , not unlike a conventional trans that hunts for the proper gear.
Stop and go driving requires a bit of attention to keep the clutch from slipping too much. Those who have driven a manual for some time
will understand..
Creeping up a hill at slow speeds when I pull into my garage does fine most of the time but can be jerky with lifting the throttle too abruptly..
So glad Hyundai offers this engine/trans combo.. Very fun to drive and not much to complain about... Great warranty to back up your purchase

·
Registered
333 Posts
My first DCT ..
I think its awesome ! It adds to the character of the car.. When driven normally the system
shifts smoothly.. When pushed the shifts are crisp and quick...
When asked to downshift more than one cog.. the system can hesitate , not unlike a conventional trans that hunts for the proper gear.
Stop and go driving requires a bit of attention to keep the clutch from slipping too much. Those who have driven a manual for some time
will understand..
Creeping up a hill at slow speeds when I pull into my garage does fine most of the time but can be jerky with lifting the throttle too abruptly..
So glad Hyundai offers this engine/trans combo.. Very fun to drive and not much to complain about... Great warranty to back up your purchase
Perfectly stated, and matches our experience.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I like mine a lot for mountain driving. When you gear down you actually slow down like a manual car since there is no tq converter. Shifts super fast when going up hill.

For heavy traffic I don't like it as much since it needs to ride the clutch. If you don't go below like 5-10mph its just fine but stop and go is not the DCTs best attribute.

Over all I like it a lot coming from a manual trans car I think its a good trade off.

·
Registered
55 Posts
In case it helps anyone else, I had my DCT Kona serviced a few days ago and mentioned the clutch take off being a frustration/issue for me. They said they applied a software update, and it does seem far better/smoother. Now it could just be that disconnecting the battery and restarting the learning process has something to do with it, but if they truly did have a software update that would be great.

They said the software update was to do with rough idle/startup.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I love mine. First dct I've owned. Coming from a Subaru cvt and then reg autos and a couple 5 speed sticks. Understanding how the clutch part works does help in low speed situations. This little thing will flat scoot. Mine is the 1.6t with fwd. If floored it will break the tires loose in 1st and second gear at about 4k rpm. Whether you believe it or not, on the highway I average anywhere between 34 and 39 mpg according to the computer . I only run 91 octane. A waste? Maybe but it isn't that much more expensive. And I only run top tier fuels. Happy driving y'all!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Whether you believe it or not, on the highway I average anywhere between 34 and 39 mpg according to the computer . I only run 91 octane.
This is amazing! Any tips on how you drive? I'm AWD and getting about 29. I expect a little less bc of awd but would love more if possible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Whether you believe it or not, on the highway I average anywhere between 34 and 39 mpg according to the computer . I only run 91 octane.
This is amazing! Any tips on how you drive? I'm AWD and getting about 29. I expect a little less bc of awd but would love more if possible.
I usually set the cruise about 67 and I keep my foot out of it as much as possible. It usually shifts pretty early when getting up to speed. I think that awd really adds rolling resistance. I think that 91 octane helps too, but that's just my opinion. That number is in hills too. Not just flat ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
So far I am happy with mine, its fun to drive. The main thing with it is don't do alot of creeping in traffic. If you are stopped, stay stopped until the light turns green. Creeping up will wear out the clutch packs prematurely.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Absolutely love it

I love my Kona 1.6T. Having the experience of driving the 2.0 LTD for a few weeks before purchasing the 1.6T I find driving the 1.6T exhilarating. The torque makes the 2.0 engine seem like a tortoise in comparison.

I find the interior noise level driving on highways a little more than I care for but it's the few if any negatives I can think of with this car. I have experienced the rough idle or hesitation in slow traffic and yes it does take me by surprise briefly i still find it a minor inconvenience.

The gas mileage in the 2.0 engine was better but trying to get on a highway in a hurry left me feeling like I was at a disadvantage. When I want to go.... I want to go!!!

One last note: In my opinion the plastic cladding near the wheels on the body makes the vehicle look cheaper and clumsy and out dated. When I bought my 1.6T I opted for the grey which does a great job of hiding (visually) the grey cladding in a way that gives the vehicle a cleaner look. That was the only thing stopping me from buying the Lime Green which I thought was a cool color but my 1.6 T has the lime green interior accents which I love giving the interior a splash of color.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the base model fwd with dct and I like it. I never really notice anything strange, it feels like a normal transmission. Part of why I like it is that I really dislike cvt's, and I'm happy with how the dct feels. I always have it in eco mode, but when I need to merge from a stop onto the freeway I just put it in sport, it's great! Basically instant power, so no complaints.

·
Super Moderator
1,182 Posts
I have the base model fwd with dct and I like it. I never really notice anything strange, it feels like a normal transmission. Part of why I like it is that I really dislike cvt's, and I'm happy with how the dct feels. I always have it in eco mode, but when I need to merge from a stop onto the freeway I just put it in sport, it's great! Basically instant power, so no complaints.
Base model? As in SE with 2.0 ? No DCT.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I usually set the cruise about 67 and I keep my foot out of it as much as possible. It usually shifts pretty early when getting up to speed. I think that awd really adds rolling resistance. I think that 91 octane helps too, but that's just my opinion. That number is in hills too. Not just flat ground.
Highway driving to Montreal I averaged about 6.0l/100km the entire trip on the highway, with a lot of hills in the mountains until I hit Ottawa. I was around 5.5-5.9 but that was being unrealistic with doing 80-100km/hr. Usually cruise at 90 on the mountains and 110 on highway in city and we still managed 6l to 6.5l/100km which is basically what you said in mpg.. so I don't doubt yours is right.

The transmission is.. a first for me. I mean, when I throw her into reverse, it seems like it takes a couple seconds for it to grab and want to reverse. I've put it into reverse and started giving some throttle and I sat there and then it started to go after a pop. Same as going reverse to drive, it takes a second or two. Maybe that's normal in DCT? Not sure. It's my first.

I've noticed from complete stops, in eco, it is really sluggish. Like.. unbearably sluggish and feels like it's being forced to do something it does not want to. Sport is peppier, but it still has a weird "off the launch" if you're light on the peddle. I can't really describe it. Is this just a DCT being a DCT?

·
Registered
9 Posts
That sluggish feeling isn't the dct, that's the engine not having enough down low grunt. It takes that turbo and a few Rpm to make any power.

Highway driving to Montreal I averaged about 6.0l/100km the entire trip on the highway, with a lot of hills in the mountains until I hit Ottawa. I was around 5.5-5.9 but that was being unrealistic with doing 80-100km/hr. Usually cruise at 90 on the mountains and 110 on highway in city and we still managed 6l to 6.5l/100km which is basically what you said in mpg.. so I don't doubt yours is right.

The transmission is.. a first for me. I mean, when I throw her into reverse, it seems like it takes a couple seconds for it to grab and want to reverse. I've put it into reverse and started giving some throttle and I sat there and then it started to go after a pop. Same as going reverse to drive, it takes a second or two. Maybe that's normal in DCT? Not sure. It's my first.

I've noticed from complete stops, in eco, it is really sluggish. Like.. unbearably sluggish and feels like it's being forced to do something it does not want to. Sport is peppier, but it still has a weird "off the launch" if you're light on the peddle. I can't really describe it. Is this just a DCT being a DCT?
That sluggish feeling isn't the dct, that's the engine not having enough down low grunt. It takes that turbo and a few Rpm to make any power. I only have normal and sport mode. Sport sharpens up the throttle response for mine. I can floor mine in either mode, but until the rpms get to over 2-3k it's a sluggish dog. After that it livens up. As far as the reverse, mine does the same thing. You can definitely tell it is feathering the clutches to go backwards without dying.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts