Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I’m very serious about purchasing, I love everything about the Kona, except for the DCT. (I am only considering the 1.6t). I am worried that I the DCT will have issues.

Does anyone know how common the issues are? I could be overreacting but I just want make sure I am not going to be wasting my money. This is my first big purchase.

thanks for any help you might have to offer.

·
Super Moderator
300 Posts
How long do you plan to keep the car? It is fun to drive a DCT. Dont know about the longevity of it? There are few 2019 owners with issue. But it does come with a 10 year/100K miles warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long do you plan to keep the car? It is fun to drive a DCT. Dont know about the longevity of it? There are few 2019 owners with issue. But it does come with a 10 year/100K miles warranty.
I’d like to assume that I would own it for probably ~5 years.

I just know about Hyundai’s past with DCT’s. Have they made the proper improvements?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
5 years actually seems a little low. I’ll probably have it for 8 or more

·
Registered
666 Posts
First off, the 2018 DCT's were no issue for the most part. The A team must of assembled those. The 2019 DCT's seemed to have one of two guys from the C team put those together, hit or miss and it is a small number I would think. Hopefully, you are looking at the 2020 model year and they fired the C team. You do have the warranty and a loner car , so I would still roll the dice if it was me.

Also, IF you get your car, don't baby it on starts, don't let it get a chance to stumble and use sport mode if you have to. I run in sport mode a lot in traffic and hit it to normal mode when cursing on the hwy. Also the resonator/muffler in the intake track has a lot to do with the stumbling, get rid of that ASAP. If you can't do the work have a non Hyundai dealer do the work, like a good import shop. if you do this use hair spray and it dries fast.

·
Super Moderator
810 Posts
Lots of posts on the subject as well as an informal poll.. Driving mine over a year , no issues, no regrets !
Gives the car character as it is different from the norm.. Hyundai's is betting the DCT will be trouble free with a warranty to back it up.

Hello all,

I’m very serious about purchasing, I love everything about the Kona, except for the DCT. (I am only considering the 1.6t). I am worried that I the DCT will have issues.

Does anyone know how common the issues are? I could be overreacting but I just want make sure I am not going to be wasting my money. This is my first big purchase.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I run in sport mode a lot in traffic and hit it to normal mode when cursing on the hwy.

Curious as to the rationale for this type of usage. I would think that lower MPG in sport mode in a lot of traffic is a waste. Can't you really get the benefit of Sport Mode on the open road?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Curious as to the rationale for this type of usage. I would think that lower MPG in sport mode in a lot of traffic is a waste. Can't you really get the benefit of Sport Mode on the open road?
Traffic at some points are "make a move" and you need to have faster response. Lets just say I am not a putz. Mileage........ I average 20 on my 1.6T. While I hit normal mode on the hwy on longer stretches, I am in sport mode on and off as much as 5 times on a 10 mile stretch to work. In heavy traffic I am in manual mode so I can stay in say first gear or second gear and keep the rpms up as high as 3,500 plus as not to keep going up and down the gears in stop and go traffic when you are in a "traffic wave".

Also, it may make a bit more sense to you if I were to say that I have a Kona AWD 1.6T that is lowered 2 inches and has different struts/shocks, semi solid bushings, aftermarket sport rims and tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Traffic at some points are "make a move" and you need to have faster response. Lets just say I am not a putz. Mileage........ I average 20 on my 1.6T. While I hit normal mode on the hwy on longer stretches, I am in sport mode on and off as much as 5 times on a 10 mile stretch to work. In heavy traffic I am in manual mode so I can stay in say first gear or second gear and keep the rpms up as high as 3,500 plus as not to keep going up and down the gears in stop and go traffic when you are in a "traffic wave".

Also, it may make a bit more sense to you if I were to say that I have a Kona AWD 1.6T that is lowered 2 inches and has different struts/shocks, semi solid bushings, aftermarket sport rims and tires.
This is actually very helpful for me. I drive manual currently. So I will need to treat the DCT in my future Kona with a similar fashion to a standard transmission

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have one of the "problem" DCTs. They replaced the transmission about 4 months, 4k miles ago and the car has been a joy to drive since. I have zero issues on starts or hills and never need to keep the rpms up to prevent them either. I avg mid 30s for mpg and never need to use sport mode for power. I have thought about whether I would get a DCT if I had a do over, but cannot think of anything available that I would rather be driving. I test drove both versions of the Kona and the 1.6T was noticeably better.

There is so much new tech on cars these days that any model is a gamble. I would not want to tell you what to do, but for me, I am not regretting my purchase. Good luck with whatever you decide to get.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have one of the "problem" DCTs. They replaced the transmission about 4 months, 4k miles ago and the car has been a joy to drive since. I have zero issues on starts or hills and never need to keep the rpms up to prevent them either. I avg mid 30s for mpg and never need to use sport mode for power. I have thought about whether I would get a DCT if I had a do over, but cannot think of anything available that I would rather be driving. I test drove both versions of the Kona and the 1.6T was noticeably better.

There is so much new tech on cars these days that any model is a gamble. I would not want to tell you what to do, but for me, I am not regretting my purchase. Good luck with whatever you decide to get.
"Had" is a key word here.

·
Registered
296 Posts

All technology has issues, thats why there are people that can fix them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello all,

I personally can say that out of the 3(!) Hyundai DCTs I’ve owned, the my new Kona (2019) is the smoothest of the bunch. (For reference I have a ‘16 Tucson w/ 41K and sold a ‘17 Elantra Eco w/ 73K on it.) Granted I’m on day 3 of owning it and only have 600 miles, but my initial impression was that it had the kinks worked out.

There are two BIG things I would recommend to people who are buying this car and are worried about longevity - 1) treat the car like a manual, by doing this you’re not making the problem worse by trying to make it crawl in traffic or slip the clutch while trying to go up a hill, and 2) ignore the owner’s manual and whatever the dealer says and drain/fill the fluid every 30K. (My pick is Redline MT-LV based off of another member’s recommendation, and after doing 2 fluid swaps in the Elantra - one OEM fluid and one Redline... Redline was smoother overall, and it DOES meet Hyundai requirements!)

On my Kona I managed to get a lifetime (mostly bumper to bumper) warranty... not too worried about if the DCT decides to go out at 150K. My Elantra was holding strong at 73K, I don’t see this one giving me any issues.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Just a note to future buyers if they are on the fence. The Hyundai Kona DCT is NOT good for a racing transmission what DCT was designed for in true race cars. Hyundai 100% tuned this for common old man and old woman and soccer mom use. It shifts SO smooth and ok fast driving normally. As far as "sport driving" this exact transmission...the Hyundai DCT it is not that refined in all out sport use. This is where you see the flaws of crap coding /algorithm. You get what appears to me 80% engagement with clutch spin OR the engine timing is pulled WAY back it flounders. And I run 93 octane , so it is not knock sensors, it is crap coding. A VW DCT in sport mode this DCT is NOT. As a soccer mom transmission it excels.

Hyundai needs one DCT engineer to spend another 3 months on smoothing out the coding for aggressive sport use .

·
Super Moderator
810 Posts
good luck with that.. It’s a inexpensive CUV ! It’s designed for its intended purpose..
While I enjoy driving the kona briskly whenever I can... It doesn’t inspire confidence when it comes to durability.. Being aware that this is a dry clutch system, that’s enough to let you know it’s not meant to be “abused”. It’s fine for my needs and Im really impressed with the performance out of the box.. but this is not the car I would choose to modify and compete with.

Just a note to future buyers if they are on the fence. The Hyundai Kona DCT is NOT good for a racing transmission what DCT was designed for in true race cars. Hyundai 100% tuned this for common old man and old woman and soccer mom use. It shifts SO smooth and ok fast driving normally. As far as "sport driving" this exact transmission...the Hyundai DCT it is not that refined in all out sport use. This is where you see the flaws of crap coding /algorithm. You get what appears to me 80% engagement with clutch spin OR the engine timing is pulled WAY back it flounders. And I run 93 octane , so it is not knock sensors, it is crap coding. A VW DCT in sport mode this DCT is NOT. As a soccer mom transmission it excels.

Hyundai needs one DCT engineer to spend another 3 months on smoothing out the coding for aggressive sport use .

·
Registered
122 Posts
Buy a
good luck with that.. It’s a inexpensive CUV ! It’s designed for its intended purpose..
While I enjoy driving the kona briskly whenever I can... It doesn’t inspire confidence when it comes to durability.. Being aware that this is a dry clutch system, that’s enough to let you know it’s not meant to be “abused”. It’s fine for my needs and Im really impressed with the performance out of the box.. but this is not the car I would choose to modify and compete with.
Hello all,

The 2.0 has plenty of power and a conventional tranny. It's the cheapest model. Only thing I miss is the second USB port for the infotainment system.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts