Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone, I bought a dash cam today and am trying to think of how to install it. I ordered a wire harness kit off amazon [ https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07RHN4FMM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ] I have read that when you unclip the A frame you actually have to cut the clips and replace them, there is also the risk of interfering with the side air bag. I have read that you can tuck the wires in up fron the winto into the roof frame then wrap a wire around the top of the A frame and pop out your weather stripping on the door and run it down the stripping then back out into the fuse box. Anyone have any suggestions? photos? advice?

·
Super Moderator
279 Posts
1) pull back the door seal, from the corner is pretty easy

2) use a trim removal tool to pry up the end plate on the dash (NO NOT A METAL ONE, plastic only!)
I went from the center, but you will find a way

3) Mount camera and push wires under headliner

4) Tick the wire in under the trim as shown in red

5) Run the wires down the outside of the trim, it will be covered by the door seal once it's put back, this avoids clip removal or messing with airbags
6) Run the wire into the endplate area and tuck it behind the plastic to avoid interfering with the edplate when it's reinstalled

7) Mount the unit for the hardwire kit, I used industrial adhesive velcro an cable ties for secure extra cable.
Find a point to also mount your earth, there is a very convient bolt for this

8) Pick empty fuse location and install your tap, make sure you either crimp or solder this (crimp is better for automotive as it has some flex)

9) Put your door seal back on and job done.

** Disclaimer **
Do this at your own risk, this is how I installed it in my own vehicle.
I am not responsible if your screw it up, tangle wires in airbags or anything.
If in doubt at all, get a professional !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1) pull back the door seal, from the corner is pretty easy
View attachment 2961
2) use a trim removal tool to pry up the end plate on the dash (NO NOT A METAL ONE, plastic only!)
I went from the center, but you will find a way
View attachment 2962
3) Mount camera and push wires under headliner
View attachment 2963
4) Tick the wire in under the trim as shown in red
View attachment 2964
5) Run the wires down the outside of the trim, it will be covered by the door seal once it's put back, this avoids clip removal or messing with airbags
6) Run the wire into the endplate area and tuck it behind the plastic to avoid interfering with the edplate when it's reinstalled
View attachment 2965
7) Mount the unit for the hardwire kit, I used industrial adhesive velcro an cable ties for secure extra cable.
Find a point to also mount your earth, there is a very convient bolt for this
View attachment 2960
8) Pick empty fuse location and install your tap, make sure you either crimp or solder this (crimp is better for automotive as it has some flex)
View attachment 2959
9) Put your door seal back on and job done.

** Disclaimer **
Do this at your own risk, this is how I installed it in my own vehicle.
I am not responsible if your screw it up, tangle wires in airbags or anything.
If in doubt at all, get a professional !

It appears my Kona's airbag extends midway from the A bar all the way to the top of the drivers door. I might have to wrap around at a lower point to avoid blocking the airbag

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't feel safe messing with the airbags, I came up with another solution. It is not as clean, but it is not bad. The cam works great; turns on and off as wanted. Hook up was so.easy, just grounded it to that bolt and piggybacked off the rear wiper fuse.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My airbag extends from the A piller up to about the back of the drivers seat. If I would have wrapped it around up there it would be blocking the airbag. The air bag extends further then the top of the pillar

·
Registered
6 Posts
My airbag extends from the A piller up to about the back of the drivers seat. If I would have wrapped it around up there it would be blocking the airbag. The air bag extends further then the top of the pillar
View attachment 2980
Just curious are you in the US? I'm planning to do the same thing, but don't want to mess with the air bags either.

·
Super Moderator
279 Posts
Which fuse would you recommend piggybacking on if I would like continuous power (for parking mode)?
i would say the module ones would be always hot.
Make sure you get a dashcam and power solution that support a proper parking mode for lower power usage

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just curious are you in the US? I'm planning to do the same thing, but don't want to mess with the air bags either.
No I am in Canada, I have the KONA Ultimate and it appears the Airbag extends midway up the A Pillar all the way up to the back of the drivers head. I believe it is an integrated airbad system with both side and curtain airbags. I did not want any cord around where my airbags deploy, so I decided to wrap it around the lower half of the A frame as shown in the photos

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went with the Togaurd cam and have been loving it's simplicity and picture quality

·
Registered
268 Posts
Warning, if you just touch the air bag and it turns blue spot, technically invalid ! Creates a weak spot on the material to blow out ! Does not take much pressure either to mark it. Specs usually say to replace the air bag with any marks of blue !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Warning, if you just touch the air bag and it turns blue spot, technically invalid ! Creates a weak spot on the material to blow out ! Does not take much pressure either to mark it. Specs usually say to replace the air bag with any marks of blue !
The mesh covering on mine was blue and white spotted. The clips can also brake which require replacement of they brake. I found it safer to just run low on the A frame and into the fuse box.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I got a Garmin 45 Refurb from Crutchfield. May just have it installed. Reason I bought it, Totaled my 16 Tucson. Officer didn't want to talk to me until the other victims were taken to the hospital. Then it was License, Reg, Ins. The, Ticked will be mailed to your home.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Anyone here using a Dashcam without splicing wires to fuse box? Something that is dash mounted without windshield suction cup connecting to usb connection. Not looking for any electrical demons or reasons for Hyundai to void any part of warranty because of taps.
thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
You can use Fuse Taps. Suction Cups have a tendency to come off. My Garmin GPS does that on occasion. Especially when it gets Hot out in the summer. The Garmin Dah Cam uses a Button. Similar to what holds the rear view mirror on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anyone here using a Dashcam without splicing wires to fuse box? Something that is dash mounted without windshield suction cup connecting to usb connection. Not looking for any electrical demons or reasons for Hyundai to void any part of warranty because of taps.
thanks
I asked my local dealer and I was told that peggy banking off a non essential fuse like the back wiper would not void the warranty. Having it wired I feel is better then constantly changing batteries, my suction cup has also not come off my window and has been though +30 to -30 degree temperatures. Instead of a suction mount you could us an adhesive mount l, but those prone to ruining surfaces and leaving residue behind. Not to many other options for mounted cams.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts