Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,

Just wanted to see if any one else has been having this issue and if you have worked out how to reproduce.

Occasionally (like 7 times in my ownership so far) cruise will fail to engage.

I will turn the system on, it will light up the speed set light and then turn off 1/2 a second later.

I have it on video twice so far, and the dealer has admitted they know from Hyundai there is an issue, they tried to drive a total of 200km to try and get to happen.

They are going to be getting a diag computer installed at some date for me to leave in there to try and debug it.

The only way to get cruise actually working again is to stop the car, turn the engine off and turn it back on and all is good.

No codes on my personal OBD2 unit or anything left in-memory.

somewhat frustrating.

·
Registered
357 Posts
That is bizarre. I don't use mine daily but I haven't encountered this when I have used it. Hope they can remedy this fairly quickly for you.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
No I cant say it happened to us but I do hope it isolated and they are able to solve your issue quickly. In the mean time, what you could do is; disconnect the battery for 5 minutes. Then reconnect it. It will reset the ECU to it's original parameters. then try again. As they say, "when all else fails reboot!" You'll have to reset the clock and probably some of the settings but it's worth a try.

Blessings and Peace

Reactions: tobidog123

·
Registered
268 Posts
Wild guess, but seems like the electronics end has a defective IC chip of some switching form. Impurities of manufacture erratically cause intermitent chip failure to "switch on or off". Best fix is total replacement of cruise control electronic boards, even if main computer. Quality control rarely checks every item made, only a small percentage is required for "inspection". Like 3 our of a 100. Even if each one is tested, it would be a short brief time , so an erratic component could test good. One reason why military items cost so much, not the price of making it, but the long term testing and certification of it. Fighter jets have all weapons controlled by computer boards, need air to air missles, a circuit board is swapped out for that weapons bay. These boards are tested for heat, cold, gee forces, explosive forces, to prove dependable. Long fight for replacement for sure ! Hyundia knows it is a production line issue, but trying sweep it under the carpet possibly because it is not a small number of units ? My opinion, no facts, but business reality, profits out ways failure cost. Even a 20 % lose of profit, is cheaper then a total revamping of production!

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Possibly a switch problem. It's probably dropping a code in the Cruise Control ECU and they don't have an upgraded SAE handheld analyzer that will actually read this portion of the programming in the CC ECU. All dealers utilize handheld SAE analyzers now. Gone are the days of the large diagnostic computers. Go into any service department and you won't see one they just don't exist any longer. Most SAE ODDB II analyzers are the size of handheld radio or or iPad. Below is an example;

It could also be Cruise Control Actuator. The actuator plays an important role in the CCS. The actuator consists of a motor, magnetic clutch, and potentiometer. In accordance with the instructions from the cruise control ECU, the actuator increases and decreases the throttle body valve-opening angle.

If it's a programming problem, they will either attempt to correct it thru the Cruise Control ECU settings or replace it all together. First line auto technicians, aren't qualified to replace internal IC boards or specific chips. Invariably, they wouldn't be able to detect which one is specifically malfunctioning. Further, the units are sealed from the manufacture so you can't actually take one apart and remove or replace any of the components found there in. The same with the CC actuator.

You can actually purchase a good one for around $2500-$3500

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
51 Posts
Any connector in the wiring harness which isn't a 100% solid connection could create this problem. Thirty seconds repair which unfortunately comes after a 3-4-hour troubleshooting.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
TSB Date Problem Area TSB Text
04/16/18 Electrical and Air Conditioning NHTSA ID: 10133165
TSB ID: 5NP-J7B7P-04

Hyundai motor america is conducting a service campaign to the ecm software to update the cruise control setting logic on certain 2018 model year kona equipped with 1.6t-gdi engine. service campaign t2v provides a procedure to update the ecm
04/16/18 Electrical and Air Conditioning NHTSA ID: 10133167
TSB ID: 5NP-R7V9J-04

This bulletin provides information related to the ecm (engine control module) software for kona (os) with 1.6t-gdi engines to update the cruise control setting logic.

This may be the issue. I realize it's a service campaign in the US but it may also be valid in Australia also.

Blessings and Peace

Reactions: tobidog123

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Yes this was issued back n April. If you've had you Kona service since then it's been upgraded however it still works the same as before the upgrade. I checked with my Service Rep yesterday and he confirmed it and I had no open TBS. If you though it wasn't working before you won't notice any change at all when they upgrade the software.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cruise Control Issues

Am having similar issues. My cruise control works intermittently. Have had Hyundai reset the system several times but the problem still exists. It's extremely frustrating because each time I have the dealer check my car, the cruise control works. They did however replace a faulty part hoping that this would solve my problem but it didn't. Not sure what to do now!

·
Super Moderator
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Am having similar issues. My cruise control works intermittently. Have had Hyundai reset the system several times but the problem still exists. It's extremely frustrating because each time I have the dealer check my car, the cruise control works. They did however replace a faulty part hoping that this would solve my problem but it didn't. Not sure what to do now!
Hyundai (at least here in Australia) have admitted the fault.
They also have said it's currently limited to a few vehicles that they know of for the moment.

They had my car for 2 visits and a total of 4 days for data collection. (nearly 500KM of distance driven too)
They finally managed to get it to fault twice on the same day and get the data collection required.

They still have NO IDEA what is causing it, it's apparently with Hyundai Technical in Korea for investigation.
If we had Lemon Law here, my car would sure be a candidate for it.

I am having to chase the dealer to get info about the progress, ill have to poke next week for more info.

They wanted to change over some core components and it was going to be a long wait on parts.

So, let's hope there is a proper fix (my car still has less than 3K miles on it!)

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
I hope all the best for you.

Blessings and Peace

Reactions: Bad~Papa

·
Super Moderator
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Car is back from the latest dealer service.
They have have installed updated software that should resolve the issue.

Lets see how long it lasts!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Howdy
I’m from Australia. Bought a Kona new in Sep 2018. It’s a Dec 2017 built Jan 2018 complied 1.6T AWD Elite.
Mines done it 3 times during owner ship, each time after the intital 1500km service so yet to report it at the 12 month / 10k kms service.
Will be watching this space and also reporting back at some point.
The above aside, I love the car so much I have taken it off the mrs haha!

·
Super Moderator
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Howdy
I’m from Australia. Bought a Kona new in Sep 2018. It’s a Dec 2017 built Jan 2018 complied 1.6T AWD Elite.
Mines done it 3 times during owner ship, each time after the intital 1500km service so yet to report it at the 12 month / 10k kms service.
Will be watching this space and also reporting back at some point.
The above aside, I love the car so much I have taken it off the mrs haha!

Pretty identical to mine then.
Mine is a dec17 build as well.

Next service raise it, hyundai technical is aware of the issue.

My car has done a grand total of 4km since the last service and is in storage for a few more weeks.

I'll then get it out and test it again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cruise Control Problem

I had this happen once on my way to Michigan this past Thanksgiving. Stopped at a rest stop for a break, started the car back up, all was fine. Hasn't done it again. Mentioned it to the dealer,was told probably a dirty sensor or iced up sensor. I didn't do anything but stop, turn it off, was out of the vehicle for a short time, got back in, started it up and it was working fine. I have also had an issue with the rear anti-collision radar turning off. The trouble shooting read out on the display said the radar was being blocked and was inoperable. So I tried pushing the on off button on the dash, no luck. So I tried the same thing that fixed the cruise control, pulled over, shut off the vehicle, started it back up and it worked again. Haven't had a problem since. When I asked the dealer was told that was normal for it to shut off if there is no input for sometime. I was on a back road no other traffic, but if that was the case I should be able to manually turn it back on, which I couldn't. Anyway, I hope they work out these bugs !!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts