Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
This is a two tone 2020 KONA EV. Tires are 255/35/20. I concealed with plastidip what, in my opinion, makes the KONA look like a cheap car. I'm rewiring the turn signal lights into the stop lights. I replaced the slippery tires with all season XL and 20-inch rims. There is no noticeable performance impact and the ride quality improved. Now all the torque goes into the tires instead of slipping as before. The rims fit perfectly with a very mild offset outside the wheel well like i wanted on matte color. Now looks proper and worthy of the 42K it cost.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting. Did you put 20” tires on a Kona EV because you couldn’t find an Ioniq? It seems that thin tires defeat the purpose of an SUV.
Subcompact SUV's like the KONA are based on car platforms copare to full SUV. However, practicality was not my main goal indeed, but rather aesthetics.

·
Registered
2021 Limited 1.6T AWD
66 Posts
It’s true that the Kona doesn’t have as much ground clearance as compact SUVs like CR-V or RAV4, but it still has more ground clearance than any sedan. It is designed to occupy the market right in the middle between a hatchback and a compact SUV.

In my opinion the Veloster is the hot hatch for street performance. It’s lower than the Kona from the factory, so it’s naturally better for stability at speed.

I buy the Kona because it’s still an SUV, which should do a little better in snowy conditions than sedans. However, it’s low enough to not feel like a complete boat on the highway.

·
Registered
95 Posts
This is a two tone 2020 KONA EV. Tires are 255/35/20. I concealed with plastidip what, in my opinion, makes the KONA look like a cheap car. I'm rewiring the turn signal lights into the stop lights. I replaced the slippery tires with all season XL and 20-inch rims. There is no noticeable performance impact and the ride quality improved. Now all the torque goes into the tires instead of slipping as before. The rims fit perfectly with a very mild offset outside the wheel well like i wanted on matte color. Now looks proper and worthy of the 42K it cost.
True, not the prettiest girl at the dance, But man can she dance, I enjoy Mountain driving would feel at any speed. 22E Kona I haven't even tried Performance mode yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am definitely dumping my tires, they're garbage. But I wasn't sure about dumping the rims. I didn't know how much it would affect my mileage. If it's negligible, I'll get new rims too. I really don't care for the stock rims either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
YES! i love it. I also dislike the turn signal cluster. I was thinking about vinyl wrapping them but that plastidip looks excellent. I have a 2022 and they really tried to make it look better but it's still not a good look. i have a black car so I was going to either smoke them or black them out, which would require moving the signal to the upper light and I'm not eve sure about the reverse light. but its awsome. i also think your rim choice was on the money. and the skirts and lips are just right. not obnoxious but also not too understated. great job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts