Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi There,

I am a fan of the look of the gas KONA. Very much. In green it reminds me of the Master Chief from Halo, and the nerd in me can't stop looking at this SUV. Its a manly looking vehicle, and AWD for the Canadian Snow. LOVE THIS!! I also love the electric version of the KONA, being that its electric and I can free my family and wallet from the trappings of the clusters of items to repair in a gas vehicle.

My current vehicle is a upgraded and tasteful Mazda RX8. She's a head turner. The look, the exhaust and the ride are sublime. Love this car to the moon and back, and I never would replace her.... except that KONA gas looks so good, and not having to pay for gas anymore is very appealing.

So here's the issue. The electric version of the KONA (and I'm sorry if you bought one) is fuggly. I mean, uglier than a toyota. I cringe at the sight of it. There is little possibility I would drive something I would need to look away from, upon approach. The gas version, Yes I'd stop in my tracks and oogle my own ride. I do that now with my RX8, and other people's KONA gas. But man!.... if only I could swap the EV for the Gas front bumper.

There is also the matter of AWD in canadian snow. Is the EV version AWD? or.... did Hondai think that Canadian's couldn't be bothered buying electric to handle our climate up here? yes tires make a huge difference.... but come'on my wifes Ford Escape is AWD, and that's just such a low bearing fruit for electric motors.

I think if Hondai took the Hundai KONA AWD gas, as is, and change nothing, but swapping to electric. That would be a game changer.

In the mean time... perhaps I would swap the front bumper myself, but what about AWD? how do I get that need, in an electric model from Hundai?
Is there a solution for me? (Besides keeping my ride?)

Thanks ahead!

·
Registered
MY20 Hyundai Kona Highlander
222 Posts
Do not know if Hyundai plan a 4WD EV. At the moment only available in front WD. This is front of 2022 model that should be available mid next year: 2022 Kona

·
Registered
2019 White Ultimate
253 Posts
The EV is designed the way it is to improve aerodynamics... you might lose 15+% of your fuel economy by swapping body pieces IF you are able to get all the connectors to properly fit. And then the matter of Canadian weather beating up your fuel economy by wasting energy on cabin heating as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The EV is designed the way it is to improve aerodynamics... you might lose 15+% of your fuel economy by swapping body pieces IF you are able to get all the connectors to properly fit. And then the matter of Canadian weather beating up your fuel economy by wasting energy on cabin heating as well.
I hear you, but the gas version is designed to be appealing, not just functional. Its a decision, to whether the EV should look good too. Obviously, Hundai prefers the industry standard.... apparently even Mazda can't make a good looking EV.

Take a look at this captivating car... and ask yourself "Why isn't THIS the electric model?"

Can you imagine how many of these Tesla could sell?
I tell you, this model's appearance is electrifying. Change that N badge to a bolt of lightning.... there... done!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Like Elon Musk... who must prefer watching Star Wars with the mute on.
Elon Musk: "There's no sound in space! (hits mute button) NO SOUND! NO SOUND! rocking back and forth."

Come on... Isn't it true, based on futuristic movies, we've come to expect:
Electric cars of the future should... sound electrifying?
Someone is sure to make an app, for the theatre, of the enthusiast....and for those like Elon, they can always just hit "mute".

·
Registered
8 Posts
I hear you, but the gas version is designed to be appealing, not just functional. Its a decision, to whether the EV should look good too. Obviously, Hundai prefers the industry standard.... apparently even Mazda can't make a good looking EV.

Take a look at this captivating car... and ask yourself "Why isn't THIS the electric model?"
View attachment 4837

Can you imagine how many of these Tesla could sell?
I tell you, this model's appearance is electrifying. Change that N badge to a bolt of lightning.... there... done!
That photo actually looks awesome!
I wish Kona N (If it ever comes out) would looked that way.. not a huge fan of next gen Kona.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts