Hyundai Kona Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Yep, thats what I have seem in your country and Europe. I pull a 14.5 foot boat with a 40 hp side console at less then half the max rating with no brakes and that is all I would every want to pull. I assume you have brakes on your trailer?

·
Registered
21 Posts
i have a 5m seadoo twin motor jet boat that is 1200kg.
we will see how it goes pulling that.
(i have another car for towing thats rated over 2t)

·
Registered
Thunder Grey 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T AWD Ultimate
15 Posts
Really depends on trans and brakes... IMHO I would never go past 900kg on any stock Kona even for short distances... The auto trans and electric will probably have the best luck with towing anything. After that it's the brakes, so far even with my brand new factory brakes are lack luster to say the least. I plan on moving to the CTSV/Gen kit after that I could see that 1200kg being "OK" to tow for going across town. For anything worth stating on distance a trans-cooler would be needed. But that is in the states and I'm in Kansas, we have higher average speed limits.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was wondering if anyone had towed a load around 1000lbs with their 2019 kona SE. If so, what should I look for in terms strain on the vehicle. Doing research I find that it isn't recommended to tow. But if I want to upgrade to make my vehicle tow ready, what steps should I take to achieve that?

·
Registered
MY20 Hyundai Kona Highlander
256 Posts
I was wondering if anyone had towed a load around 1000lbs with their 2019 kona SE. If so, what should I look for in terms strain on the vehicle. Doing research I find that it isn't recommended to tow. But if I want to upgrade to make my vehicle tow ready, what steps should I take to achieve that?
My understanding is that only the Kona EV has no rated towing capacity. For petrol Konas, unbraked towing capacity is 600 kg, braked capacity is 1300 kg. These are Australian figures: Kona towing capacity.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here’s a guide to towing capacities from Aus not specific to any manufacturer, ...
But they go on to say
"If the vehicle manufacturer has not specified the maximum towing mass, the maximum towing mass is:
• One and a half times the unladen mass of the towing vehicle, provided that the trailer is fitted with brakes which are connected and in working order, or
• The unladen mass of the towing vehicle if the trailer does not require brakes."
(Redirect - Roads and Maritime Services)

I have taken this from a blog on Kona EV towing at: Can I tow with an EV?
Omitted from this is that the unbraked towing limit is 750kg or the mass of the vehicle, whichever is lower. So, unless you have a very light vehicle, the limit is 750kg without brakes. The petrol Konas are specified for 650kg without brakes. Consequently, with my 'not recommended' 2019 electric Kona, I have an electronic brake controller fitted for my camper trailer that weighs about 800kg.

·
Registered
MY20 Hyundai Kona Highlander
256 Posts
Wow, you have a 800 kg brake controller!!

(Sorry couldn’t help myself 😂)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts